the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Fellas,

I'm after a new helmet and keen to learn what yous fellas wear and why please.

I have both Stihl and Husky lids, I like the Stihl ratchet adjustment, vent holes, and they are supplied by the people I work for . There are a few different decibel ratings with Stihl, look at the colour of the plastic buttons on the pivots of the ear muffs, the red ones are the highest noise reduction I believe. The Husky ones I find lighter to wear and have more ear room in the muffs.
In the end any lid is better than none and to replace it every couple of years or sooner if there is any damage to it.
Cheers
Will

Hi Fellas,

stihl nogging buckets for me yes rachy adjust is good helps keep lid on my pin head. I dont use helmet fit clip on muffs as prefer the necklace butt plugs and glasses not mesh shield.. If climbing i have no expense spared Aldi bargain bin helmet,,, i kid you not it fits fine tho i not yet tested its impact force field i expect not to survive a fall hopin for peace full passing with all the hot chicks who knocked me back awaiting for me up there

My lid when climbing

20160417_165525.jpg
When on the ground you'll find my hard hat either in my car or in the site shed.

Never ever worn one when on the ground.

G'day all first post here:confused: anyway I've only ever run 038's but want to add an 066 to my tool box preferably a Magnum. But since I'm not too familiar with the 066 series I was hoping someone could give me a rundown on the different versions.

Cheers in advance.

G'day all first post here:confused: anyway I've only ever run 038's but want to add an 066 to my tool box preferably a Magnum. But since I'm not too familiar with the 066 series I was hoping someone could give me a rundown on the different versions.

Cheers in advance.
Welcome to the Dribble ,lots of good blokes here and info
Peter

Welcome, I was a big 038 man myself until looking for a replacement I went to a big makita- excellent saw and better than anything Stihl make and I have tried a few including an 066, well evidently someone else thought the same thing and I am back to my old 038 super again but that is another story.
I had stihls for many years, and when parts started being an issue looked elsewhere and was not disappointed.

Just my humble amateur opinion.

Cheers in advance.

i used heaps of 66 - 064 over the years and always liked them nice power to weight saw for almost all daily needs the new 661 supposedly even sweeter alas i now yet handled one yet,,,,,,,, aww fuggen hell i just got Turkish delight on ma keboard,,,,,

If I have to work all day with the saw, I will go to a smaller saw every chance I get, dont use the 461 much for quote jobs but do need it for work I do of my own.

The 661 is one of the best saws I've used for large stuff.

Cheers in advance.
Long story short a MS 660 mag Aus delivered after 09' is the shot. Duel port muffler making it the magnum 5.2 vs 5.7 kW and this is when they picked up the HO oiler which can he identified by a small slot half way through the oil pump adjuster bolt at right angles to the main slot and also have the larger oil tank which changed while still the 066 but after it went to the 'round top' then renamed the MS660

Hi Fellas,

Stihl pro helmet because well I don't think I need to say why. The difference between the Std and pro helmet it the adjuster at the back; std has little locking buttons needs to be removed to be re tensioned vs the ratchet knob on the pro, 30 vs 32 dB ear muffs and terry towelling vs lambs wool brow guard/sweat band thing and all the bits can be bought as parts, visors, visor holder, earmuffs and earmuff pads and foams

stihl nogging buckets for me yes rachy adjust is good helps keep lid on my pin head. I dont use helmet fit clip on muffs as prefer the necklace butt plugs and glasses not mesh shield.. If climbing i have no expense spared Aldi bargain bin helmet,,, i kid you not it fits fine tho i not yet tested its impact force field i expect not to survive a fall hopin for peace full passing with all the hot chicks who knocked me back awaiting for me up there
either that or an eternity standing at the local stihl dealer's counter,listening to him say, "nah mate,saws not ready yet,had to order in all the parts,come back next month"

If I have to work all day with the saw, I will go to a smaller saw every chance I get, dont use the 461 much for quote jobs but do need it for work I do of my own.

The 661 is one of the best saws I've used for large stuff.
I have pretty much shelved my 441 now I have the 661. I used to use my 026 16" 441 25" and 066 36". I usually just use either the 241 or 026 16" and 661 25" and 36". Great on fuel, good AV and heaps of grunt.

either that or an eternity standing at the local stihl dealer's counter,listening to him say, "nah mate,saws not ready yet,had to order in all the parts,come back next month"
Unfortunately quality varies. On another not found Stihl crank case pairs have come down in price heaps and come with bearings already fitted. Has any one here every had saw parts powder coated and at what sort of cost?

Well I got the 461 cause the 661 wasn't out then, and I got it for $1500 which was an okay price...cash back thing was happening.

Mates got a 660 and it's only had about 8 hrs use and he can't use it anymore unfortunately....so I'm just waiting for him to decide he can finally part with it.....hope I'm not waiting too long.

Finally got to use the mill today and had the ported 660 working overtime. I don't think the 8 pin was helpful today but got thru it. Also learnt a bit of how the chain needs to be sharpened. All and all a good day.

P.s the 660 is a bloody thirsty mofo!![emoji15] a tank per board.
Nice work Vince.

So how are you finding that mill?

Latest posts

Back