the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question for the electronic experts here

I have searching tonight for a "christmas tree controller" and looked into diy, well that confused the heck out of me:msp_scared: give me a saw to race modify anyday.

anywho

would like to set up a starting system for the speed races using lights similiar to a drag race christmas tree. something like flash red, flash red, flash yellow then solid green for start or some sort of variation like that. what sort of money is involved in making one and what is the diy ability of a chainsaw hack like myself to make one? Setting up the light trees would be the easy part, thinking of 12volt led type so that the system can be run on 12v so we don't have to rely on mains power.

the idea is born out of the need to be able to pick up false starts or prove there wasn't one. Maybe further down the road we might be able to do things like putting sensors on the block stands and add a false start light.

Hooroo
Will

With car and bike circuit racing now, instead of a Chrissy tree like the drags they just have three to five reds that go out with the last one out signalling a start. The time this takes is random from I think four to seven seconds.

They started this as the old red out to green on often had a small delay and people would take off as the red went out, others on the lighting of the green and so while the blokes going on the red out weren't technically jumping the start they got a little advantage over the green on starters, so all reds out fixed that.

[edit]Need an electronic countdown timer that has, say, four outputs and can randomly generate the output time between x and y.

The rest is easy.

Last edited:
like that idea Rick, something easy is needed, one club used navigation lights (green and red) worked a treat at night, but not so good during the day. One thing we found out using their lights we need to have the lights in our line of sight as we were looking at the block, so each racer had to have a set of lights in front of them, plus another for the video camera for the vid ref.

the controller bit is what is stuffing me at the moment, the one used with the other club is gone and no one has info on who made it. I remember it having a single button to start the sequence and it was consistent with its flashes all weekend, it took some getting used to but bu the end of the weekend we all liked the concept.

Best bet would try a light chaser kit from jaycar or ask them for a kit as to make a circuit would be a pita!

Hey just thought I'd add that any exchange between myself and Aussie Dave is all in fun in case anybody is concerned. For those outside of Australia this is the way mates behave toward one another :cheers:
It may sometimes come across that he hates me. That's not the case at all. He likes me but I just think he's a bastard :)

Stunning morning here, the sun is starting to stream down into the valley as it peers over the hills to the east and it's a little white on the ground.
It always feels good after a little rain, only had a touch under 30mm but it's better than nothing.

Is it least a king size?

Well that brings me to a Mars Bar joke.

It's a remedy for Tapeworms.

Buy 10 eggs, 9 Mars Bars, and a hammer.
At 9am on the first day you stick the egg up your bum. At midday you stick a Mars Bar up your bum.
You keep doing this every day for 9 days at exactly the same times.
On the 10th day you stick the egg up your bum at 9am. Just after midday the Tapeworm will stick his head out your arse and say "Where's my bloody Mars Bar
?" and you smack him on the head with the hammer.

Well it was funny when I was 12 years old anyway...

Well that brings me to a Mars Bar joke.

It's a remedy for Tapeworms.

Buy 10 eggs, 9 Mars Bars, and a hammer.
At 9am on the first day you stick the egg up your bum. At midday you stick a Mars Bar up your bum.
You keep doing this every day for 9 days at exactly the same times.
On the 10th day you stick the egg up your bum at 9am. Just after midday the Tapeworm will stick his head out your arse and say "Where's my bloody Mars Bar
?" and you smack him on the head with the hammer.

Well it was funny when I was 12 years old anyway...

:hmm3grin2orange: haven't heard that one before.

BTW hydrogen peroxide works well for those kind of worms... Do not try at home without proper medical supervision

Nothing against Terry but most of what he said should have been in the "Conspiracies R Us" thread in the political section.

I saw Terry at Camden Haven Show this year, he is going ok, he has been dropping by the last couple of years there for a chat between races. He is a nice bloke in person.

I agree with the political stuff, that gets guys off side and pissed off every time.

still think he shoulda just ignored the rot and stayed...............

He took it personaly and it cut him deep, I had a talk with him in person about that.

Last edited:
:hmm3grin2orange: haven't heard that one before.

BTW hydrogen peroxide works well for those kind of worms... Do not try at home without proper medical supervision

Maybe they should try Epson Salts .................... afternoon Ladies ............. miss me ............. i'm sure a few of you's have ..... afternoon gologit

Dont worry about Terry I think there has been a Conspiracy against me

Looks like its true

Last edited:
Chasing a stihl 038 brake band if anyone's got one lying around CBf waiting for one from overseas

Latest posts

Back