the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shame about the myrtle rust............going to knock off a hell of a lot :(

As long as I get to mill some of them before they are gone!

really it only effects those damaged by careless falling operations causing damage to the trees so they say. They have no protection status and are just cleared when they fell the ash! scumbags!

As long as I get to mill some of them before they are gone!

really it only effects those damaged by careless falling operations causing damage to the trees so they say. They have no protection status and are just cleared when they fell the ash! scumbags!

???????????????

Most of the Red Gums here, and most all on our block as far as i can tell are Blakely's Red Gum (e. blakleyi)
All the big old River Reds went long ago, i want to redress some balance.
The tube stock I've put in so far are going gangbusters, even the frost intolerant ones like the Lemon Scented's, some of which are pushing 20' in only four years and a few harsh winters.

The neighbours below us have a big old gum behind Hanna's studio and I'm going to visit in the morning so will grab some leaves and caps and try and identify it.

God I love the disc I scored off Matt and Al.

I'd say the "lemons" are safe now at 20' Rick.

I'd say the "lemons" are safe now at 20' Rick.

Only two at that height Al, the others range from tube stock planted six months or so ago to replace a few we've lost to anything in between.
Even the eight footers have a few burnt tips from the frost, one that's really racing ahead is the tube stock one i deep stem planted and cover at night with hay bales. It doesn't realise what winter here is yet :laugh:
It actually needs another row of bales now (two high ATM) It's grown half a bale on edge in the last six weeks.

I've had mixed success with the deep stem planting too, probably 50/50 so far, but the ones that have survived are growing at a phenomenal rate and we had a damned dry summer, well, well below average rainfall.

Only two at that height Al, the others range from tube stock planted six months or so ago to replace a few we've lost to anything in between.
Even the eight footers have a few burnt tips from the frost, one that's really racing ahead is the tube stock one i deep stem planted and cover at night with hay bales. It doesn't realise what winter here is yet :laugh:
It actually needs another row of bales now (two high ATM) It's grown half a bale on edge in the last six weeks.

I've had mixed success with the deep stem planting too, probably 50/50 so far, but the ones that have survived are growing at a phenomenal rate and we had a damned dry summer, well, well below average rainfall.

One of my favorites is the Red Spotted gum..........a beaut tree (and frost hardy) and one of the very few that seems to be Longicorn hardy.

Must be in a different country to the rest of us! or in WA we had it wetter here than I have seen in the last 20 years in all my travels around the country. Where I was cutting today was like a peat bog, if you walked in the same place more than twice it just turned to slop. My neighbours got flooded twice in the last 6 months so we put a heap of drains in before they sold up! It has been furkin wet here this year!

Must be in a different country to the rest of us! or in WA we had it wetter here than I have seen in the last 20 years in all my travels around the country. Where I was cutting today was like a peat bog, if you walked in the same place more than twice it just turned to slop. My neighbours got flooded twice in the last 6 months so we put a heap of drains in before they sold up! It has been furkin wet here this year!

There was a massive patch from the central west through here, a couple of hundred km south and up to about Armidale that had no rain from the end of December on.
Even Autumn on it's still below average.

I'm glad it's finally drying out here on the coast. The wife nearly got the 4WD bogged in our driveway, twice. She got slightly off the track and cut some really big grooves spinning the tyres. Everytime I walked across the lawn I had to use a different path to keep from turning the area into a patch of mud. Everybody around here was getting 'cabin fever' from being stuck indoors and unable to do any work on their properties. - Blue skies and 22C today, took a MB up to the top of the mountain and enjoyed the fresh air.

been a bit like that down this way to for the last 18 months or so, just when everything drys out it pisses down again, i nearly had the patrol and trailer bogged more times than i care to count lately getting on and off job sites

Hey Rick, re: our discussion about converting a MB shock pump to measure POP. I was looking around and found out any gauge (oil, fuel, air) could be used. I think I may have an old oil pressure gauge in the shed I could use to convert the pump. I'd prefer a gauge of 20 psi max, but maybe the oil pressure gauge would work. Hmm, I might even have something off a gas welder that could work.

Latest posts

Back