the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and if you use stihl bars you ain't a greaser either

The question was brought up a while ago by Rick and he has a point - Stihl may not have a grease hole in their bars but why does every other bar manufacturer put grease holes in their nose if it's not needed?

I'm betting that somewhere on this earth under certain conditions there is a reason for those grease holes :)

yep a selling point .... and this is a good bar as you can grease it ........ cha ching

don't worry just fun'n

The grease holes may even be there so you can snap the tip off your .224" full metal jacket rounds and turn them into hollowpoints. Just sayin...

The grease hole selling point obviously isn't working when a Stihl bar costs twice as much :D

I would like to see that running please,,,, it sounds like fun

Hi Neil, my mobile phone camera is really bad in low light conditions so it would just be a black video with a red dot moving about. The sweet sound from the ported muffler would probably be the only good thing in the video. I'll have a look into some infra-red cameras to see whats available in my price range.

Bar noses generally get pretty warm. It would take a pretty special grease to stay sticky at the temps I've seen bar noses get to. Once you've run a greased bar nose for a bit it spins that freely I doubt any grease is left in it. Dirt can get in so I'm pretty sure bar oil does too.

The dropping point for NLGI 2 grease is 250c, sprocket bearing grease may be higher, I don't know what grade it is.

The dropping point for NLGI 2 grease is 250c, sprocket bearing grease may be higher, I don't know what grade it is.

It's getting out of there somehow and getting dirt in so whether that's inertia, squeezing, or just temp I'm not sure. Like Rudi said though his bar tips glow so I'm betting the grease has actually been cooked off and carbonised :)
If you buy preloaded bar tip grease guns I'm betting it's been filled with some pretty average grease.

Yes. Yes there are :) I'm betting that after he managed to drill the hole the grease he pushed in there forced the bits of drill scarf into the bearings.
Only to destroy the nose bearing in no time at all at least Benne wont have to wait to long to sell another bar cant be doing the chain any good either

I used a Cobalt 1/8" drill bit to drill an oil hole in a German made Carlton bar, I had to sharpen it three times though.
Matt mentioned some decent drill bits for hard metal but I forgot what brand they were.

I used a Cobalt 1/8" drill bit to drill an oil hole in a German made Carlton bar, I had to sharpen it three times though.
Matt mentioned some decent drill bits for hard metal but I forgot what brand they were.

The brand was ARTU. German made and relatively hard to find. Like all bits though you have to be careful during break through by whacking some plate at the back. If you let them just come clean out the back of a bar you'll shatter the tungsten tip like glass.
I've also used the tile bits which seem to work well despite only being designed for glass and tiles :)

Back