The Best Grass on AS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grass

WHEW, what a read since the last time I was on this thread.

Seems like someone on here doesn't like grass and yuppies and loves to tear them down.

I still like a pretty lawn even though I don't have one.

Also like the prairie grass in the wind.

Arbonaut,

I appreciate a nice lawn too. Im curious as to what fertilizers, if any, you use. If you could post them, how much you use and how often i would appreciate it.

If they are in the know, they'll design these. lol.

One thing I like about it, no plastic. Steel, CI, wood, and aluminum. I gave it the annual sharpening last week. 74 years and will cut the hair off a nats ass. It was designed to be used 4 hours a day, 7 days a week for years. The modern gas powered version goes for about $7k, half of that is in the engine/clutch, so I figure this model would have sold for about 3.5k in todays dollars.

The modern gas powered version goes for about $7k, half of that is in the engine/clutch, so I figure this model would have sold for about 3.5k in todays dollars.

I'm just wondering what the heck kind of an engine/clutch that cost $3,500.00?? I can buy a small block Chevy for that much! lol

SR

Relatively shallow root systems are the result of frequent light watering

Watering too much at once creates the same result as frequent and light watering, because it results in runoff and it ain't going to the roots.

That's because native plants aren't modern human GMOs bred in fancy cultivar farms. They didn't show your "survivor" mutant because it doesn't compare to the natives. And therein lies the point that you've missed twice. Not that I suspected differently.

... I'll assume that was a joke, otherwise that's an awfully ignorant statement. So, in the famous words of Dennis Cahoon - "Hahahahahahahahaha!"

Now you've really been breathing too many chemicals :laugh: Nice job of showing your insecurity once again. Keep it up!

I'm just telling it like it is. And you're a sissy if you can't handle the bugs and the animals. What a fancy European-influenced feller you are :laugh:

The roots of your shallow turfgrass can absorb water? Golly gee! I'd have never guessed!

I'll believe that root depth when I see it - and I'd highly doubt that is common root depth for that species as a whole. This all goes back to how the lawnly urbanites water their grass - too much at once, which creates shallow root systems.

And 6 feet isn't 16 feet. Nowhere near the top of the chart.

Taking lawns for granted? Yeah, that's a great show of common sense :laugh:

Typical ignoramus response from a fool who has no clue what they actually do. Good job! I expected nothing less.

And...? Oh right, that makes you insecure because they don't tame nature with loads of chemicals, constant mowing, straight lines and right angles for your kids and domestic pets to frolic around in a "safe" and artificial environment. I'm glad you're pretty awesome at missing points, which is something people with common sense don't do. You must be the one with "elite" common sense. In other words, pretty damn out of touch, especially when you can't grasp the simple concept of soil carbon.

The farmer I spoke with today, after the meeting to restore half of his land to prairie (his request, not ours), he gets it:

"I tell ya, farming ain't what it used to be. It costs too damn much with all those inputs and not enough outputs - save for my corn. More and more most years, we all just break even or barely peek above that line, because, most everyone now days is owned by the big seed companies, Monsanto, Syngenta, puttin' out that GMO nonsense - and they want us to feed the world?! Ain't happenin', no sir. It's like them city slickers and their fancy lawn grasses and the mowing and all that fertilizer they put out, hell it's more than I put out on my land all year! But what the hell, they're so far gone from even knowing about the land and it's plants - the very thing that allowed their grandparents and their great-grandparents to make a living - that trying to get them to understand what I do and understand what you do just goes right over their head. Anyone can see that those prairie grasses, with their big root systems, are what made that rich prairie soil that allows me to farm today. Most people just don't want to believe that for some reason. I guess they think they're above all that. It's hard not to pity them poor fools."

Don't be so sensitive.
:popcorn:

I'm just wondering what the heck kind of an engine/clutch that cost $3,500.00?? I can buy a small block Chevy for that much! lol

SR

4hp Honda, the clutch and drive system is fairly complex, but your right about the high price.
Here's a hybrid gas/electric with an onboard computer that controls reel speed, mow speed ect. and can be accessed only with a password so the operator can't change those things. This one probably approaches 10k.
Jacobsen - Renowned for Turf Maintenance Solutions

Sorry for hyjacking the thread Arbonaut.

Arbonaut,

I appreciate a nice lawn too. Im curious as to what fertilizers, if any, you use. If you could post them, how much you use and how often i would appreciate it.
No Problema. I'm here to help. Noted, first we talk soil.

Sorry for hyjacking the thread Arbonaut.

Don't worry about it RM, I hijacked your 1939 reel-type Toro Pic for my desktop background, so we're square. lol

I thought you'd come around.

There is some of the richest farm dirt in the world in this area. Yet, try to get any decent topsoil on a building site. Part of the problem is the disruption to the soil structure during building, part of it is inherent as 'why build there when you can farm there?'-- is ususally the concern. Architects, Engineers and Contractors go out of thier way to build on stable soil, too. That means clay.

The integrity of clay lies in both the mechanical grip that the smaller parts it is composed of have on one another--and more importantly on the magnetic bond betwen positive and negatively charged particles. Humus goes strides toward creating mechanical separation. If you want to transform clay, learn to break the molecular bond. This is done with surfactant. It is beyond soap and soap always contains some type of surfactant. However think of it as soap. Remember that old expression about soap, "A little goes a long way?" *DING* I'm tellin' you one of the most coveted secrets in high end turfgrass.

Ammonium Lauryl Ether Sulfate

Google it.

Nail down soil structure, pH, site prep and drainage, you're halfway home. The rest is getting the dang stuff established and keeping a sharp blade on it.

Gardening is like cooking. Use the finest ingredients, the rest is all about Temperature and Timing.

Here is the rest of the equation.
  1. Wood ashes: I've made tons in the ten years I lived here. This is your 5% Potash source and it raises pH, which counteracts the acidification which occurs as you return clippings to the soil and they decompose. I never haul them off the place, and my lawn is very stress tolerant however my wife is not.
  2. Household Cleaning Ammonia:Yes it cleans. I wouldn't use the lemon kind, but you can dump out buckets of it or green up 15-20,000 square feet of sod for about $2.50 per year using it mixed with water out of a sprinkler can or sprayer. You'll find less neighborhood cats using the facility as they can't stand anything that makes more ammonia than them=Arbonaut. I don't do any fall nitrogen and cut off this practice after May 5 unless it is poured out the cleaning buckets before a August Rainstorm.
  3. Ascophyllum Nodosum: The dreaded Brown Knotted Norweigan Wrack Seaweed in extract and meal form. (One of Norway's chief exports.) I'll go into this later if I don't get the boot.
  4. Kelp Meal: Fed to the Chickens and Rabbits as supplement. Comes from the same seaweed plant as above. Google it or I fill you in soon.
  5. Rabbit Poo: Compost it with Oak Leaves. They got a straight up diet, it shows-No?
  6. Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate.) Breaks up clay adds Calcium and Sulfur.
  7. Dolomitic Limestone: I've found it to be as relevant in greening it up as Nitrogen. It is really about synergy and moderation.

Got Some Rain.

Austrian Pine growing slower than I thought they did. Sorry them concrete border thangs aren't finished yet. Them and the paver border are new.

Dunno if these pics work out. Trying it at dusk with the flash.

Boulevard is the best stuff. That's public property. Making it stand up out there is a challenge. A Nice Boulevard is almost a Proverb. Just as easy to to it right. To me it's like your appearance. Your yard and your woodpile say a lot about what kind of guy you are.

White Pine.

Still Following this Thread...?

You've earned your stripes.

Eastern Box

Snapper 7 HP

Gettin' the boulders situated in the border. That shrub is a Rose of Sharon. Dwarf Hibiscus. I think it is the state flower of Hawaii.

It would be nice to have a neighbor that comes close to what you've got there. My neighbor next door sits in his tiny living room watching a HUGE television screen while his 2 ft. tall weeds take over the place. I'm pulling his property value up and he's dragging mine down.

Keep up the good work.

the yard looks good, man, but you really have to concentrate on the weeds and stuff growing around them shrubs.

now, if some one can tell me how to permanently get rid of creeping charlie / veronica i'd be grateful.

it has round jagged leaves and produces a purple flower thing and grows via a root-vine.

You've earned your stripes.

Eastern Box

Snapper 7 HP

Gettin' the boulders situated in the border. That shrub is a Rose of Sharon. Dwarf Hibiscus. I think it is the state flower of Hawaii.

I was gonna weigh in with something....but after those pics I am not worthy.

Nicely done.

I have something to aspire to.

Latest posts

Back