The Bestest Bestest Saw Poll

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best bestest saw

• Total voters
Good vid wyk!!

The camera for some reason doesn't pick up a lot of the chips that are flying. It makes it look like not much is coming out of those saws when there really is. That 090 puts em out fast and big enough they hurt. I do like how that 090 bar keeps growing and growing as SawFun9 is trying to remove it from the maple. And, yes, I am swearing a lot at the end there, so I just fast forwarded it.

Last edited:
I'll take the 7900 over the 372xp any day of the week except Sunday. Sundays I take the day off!
Well, guess I'd even take the 7900 on my day off. :rock:

I'll take the 7900 over the 372xp any day of the week except Sunday. Sundays I take the day off!
Well, guess I'd even take the 7900 on my day off. :rock:

The 7900 actually didn't cut any faster in maple(that is a 28" bar with skip chain I had buried in maple on the 372xp). But it most certainly outcut the 372 in Fir. The Fir was very wet and the 7900(7901) simply had more torque.

The 7900 actually didn't cut any faster in maple(that is a 28" bar with skip chain I had buried in maple on the 372xp). But it most certainly outcut the 372 in Fir. The Fir was very wet and the 7900(7901) simply had more torque.

I've ran both but both were stock. The 7900 was newer, maybe only 2-3 tanks through it. The 372 was used quite a bit but not even close to worn out. Id say a couple hundred hourd maybe. Well broken in.

I have ran the 372 many times but the 7900 only for a few days of work. Swapped my 066 with my buddy for a few days when I was still logging. Loved the 7900. Loved the 372 also. I can't really make a comparison since it was a long period of time in between running the two but from what I remember, the 7900 felt better in my hands and pulled harder. No big time difference or anything, just an edge in feel and power IMO.

I hope to have a 7900 sometime soon. Might be my next saw unless I get this low hour 038 magnum I'm looking at.

Yeah, in the 70 vs 80-90cc range, it seems torque is the main thing you gain. You start to lose speed at 80cc's. If your chain is sharp, and you can keep the revs up in the 372xp, it will cut amazingly well. One of the guys with me that day was surprised my 372xp took that maple so well buried. That was also with a square grind chain, too. But if you bury your saw with a long bar in big wood all day long, torque is certainly your friend.

I almost forgot to add - though the 372 did very well in maple, there is no way I would punish it all day long cutting on that trunk. It gets hot and you are really stressing the poor thing a LOT. That 50"+ log where it bifurcates(or triplicates) is for bigger CC's. They may not cut really fast, but you can bury their 42" bars in that maple all day long and they will cut and not complain or explode(usually). Also, that NON AV 090 is insane. I had to count my teeth after I tried it. I couldn't even think while using it in that maple. Next time I am gonna bring one of those sports retainers so I don't bite my tongue. Give sawfun9 a hand for actually making a full cut in 50"+ maple with an 090 - that takes some real patience and constitution. And if you can, rep the guy coz he made most of that video possible. All I did was kill a fir and a maple for it. ;)

You can see me giving the nod to the 7901 at 4:06, btw.

Last edited:
Good vid wyk!!

Here's the entire 372XP VS Maple video by itself. It's a 28" Husky bar(powermatch plus), with Oregon CJ skip tooth square chain, and big leaf Maple. The 372 has only had a 1/2" muffler modification and is wearing a screen on the forward port. It pulled 150psi last time it was checked.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/njuHgek8R6Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

During the cut It actually looked and sounded like it was getting too hot and losing power, don't ask me how I know this now lol.

Well, here she is in the type of timber I am usually cutting with it. This is also the video most of you guys are probably waiting for as well -

372XP VS STIHL 044 VS Dolkita 790[X]

FIGHT!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/amx5sHTTNqM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Fir is becoming a bit pinchy at this point. The 372 is fresh from the maple trunk, the 044 and Dolkita have fresh skip round ground chains. The 372xp has a square grind skip. All are running 28" bars, with the Dolkita and the 372 using the exact same powermatch bar, I think.

Last edited:
Good deal:rock: the 372 sounded like it was tuned perfect in this vid.

I just watched the vid again, and it looks like the square chain is introducing some of that chatter it does when it is going dull. That maple may have been more work for it than I thought. I think I made 3-4 cuts on it before I went to the Fir, I forget. I usually only hear it sounding like that in hardwood. But this fir is pretty dense at the trunk and very very wet. I think we measured the stump at just shy of 36".

I was very impressed with how much I could lean on that 044. The vibration wasn't bad, either. I could see using it all day.

Though the 7900 outdid both of the 70cc saws by a good margin, it still was heavier, and I just can't get used to how it feels in the hand. Maybe the AV is almost too good and it feels spongy? I dunno. The 372 just does it for me. I just love how it handles, and it can cut fairly well, too. Sawfun9 was almost stunned to see it slice through maple buried like it was.

I am still standing by my vote : 1 each for both the 372xp and the Stihl 044. Great saws. If you like how the 7900 feels, it is worth a look - it's certainly a world class machine.

Latest posts

Back