The blue stuff... oil that is.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windthrown

361 Junkie
Reaction score
There are so many posts on chainsaw gas-oil to search this question on the AS Forum in less than several hours of reading, so I will post this to the chainsaw forum:

I am looking for a good 2-stroke oil for our 2-stroke tools here. Chainsaws, trimmers, etc. They all take 50:1 mix, except the Olympic chainsaw that is in retirement now. Stihl orange-bottle oil is just too pricey, and they do not print anything on their bottles to convince me that it is any better than a lot of other air-cooled stuff out there. Like Power Care, or Husky oil, or Castrol. Of late I have been using Power Care bar oil and I swear that stuff seems extra sticky and gooey and seems to work great.

:censored: it!!! I have gone and hyjacked my own thread!!!! What is wrong with me!!! :bang:

OK, back to blue oil, what's the panel's recommendation for overall 50:1 mix blue goo? I can get a good price on a case of Power Care 50:1 on Ebay, and I a running out of my stash of blue Castrol oil. I have been mixing it more like 45:1 for better protection of my low-end bearings and stuff.

Last edited:
On a related note, any reason why I shouldn't use 2-stroke outboard oil in my chainsaw? I've run about a gallon and 1/2 of the fuel mix through it with no problems.

On a related note, any reason why I shouldn't use 2-stroke outboard oil in my chainsaw? I've run about a gallon and 1/2 of the fuel mix through it with no problems.

I've been told that TCW-3 (water-cooled outboard 2-stroke oil) should NOT be used in air-cooled 2-stroke motors. Not sure why, but that's what I've heard. Probably has something to do with the different temperature ranges, load scenarios, as well as the fact that (as far as I know) most outboards use reed boxes whereas saws don't anymore...

It is designed for water-cooled engines, not air-cooled ones.

As for cheaper oil options, this topic comes up occasionally and my response is always the same: good oil is cheap insurance. End of discussion.

Seriously, how much money are you going to save over the course of a week, a month, or a year, using some low-budget oil or some "almost good enough" substitute to quality air-cooled two-cycle oil? If you're looking for less expensive alternatives to Stihl oil, the Echo SemiSynthetic oil seems to have a good reputation and can be had for a fraction of the cost of Stihl.

Anyway, all of these topics have been covered ad nauseum and you can easily search up a whole bunch of stuff to read.

I haven't been a menber here that long, but i can already tell you that there are about 20 hours worth of reading on this subject. But heres my input. I run Klotz R50 in every two stroke i own (from my bored-out YZ 265cc motocross bike, down to my 455, 361, 575 and my trimmer) and i have yet to have a problem. It runs about $25 a gallon and it's designed just for high rpm engines and has very little carbon build-up. there are alot of good oils to use out there, but i have never had a problem with Klotz R50, so thats what i will always stick with

I would recommend Stihl 2-cycle oil... but since it is so overpriced and you actually buy it at a saw shop from a dealer, instead of Wal-mart or a bike shop...:deadhorse:

...nevermind.:D

Gary

There are two ratings to look for on oil for air cooled 2 strokes.
JASO-FC
ISO-L-EGD
If the oil you are looking at doesn't carry the above specs there are only 2 answers ...................
It doesn't meet the spec.
The oil manufacturer never submitted it for the test.
In either case you would have no warranty coverage from the dealer if your saw seized up.

I prefer Stihls Oil as well. it is a proprietary blend they have engineered. i especially like the new Ultra Full Synthetic Oil from Stihl.

I've had to tear down saws run on "outboard motor oil" (no idea of spec or brand). Inside they are always "gummy" and burnt...Many had stuck rings. Don't do it..

I use the Stihl full Syn, but I service saws that have been run hard for years on Stihl dino (orange bottle), and many still look great inside... IMO.. Has more to do with the operator and the gas used, but not to say a superior mix oil won't give you a larger operating margin.

Last edited:
I thinking you pay for what you get im not going to trust a cheap oil in my saws. I purchase my oil off EBAY you can buy a case of Husky oil for about $25.00-$30.00 that will make about 120 gallons you wont run out soon.

Latest posts

Back