The Chitty Avatar MS661 Donate To Win

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could have gained a little more compression.......but that would have meant lowering the intake further. It's already lower than I really would like to see it.
How low? Just ported a 660 jug last night. The darn jug had a huge lip on the bottom of the intake port. When I checked stock #s the lip was there making it look higher. After cutting squish and base I have the exhaust just where I want it but after porting it and removing the ugly lip it's now at 90° on the intake. Didn't run it yet. Hopefully it didn't hurt it.

85 is where the 661 is at after machine work.......and without touching a burr to the port. I like to see about 40 degrees of primary compression. The 661 ends up with 35.

When I have a port that is at a height I consider too low, or high, I will not widen that port at all either. We gain time/area in two ways.....either by adding duration, or width.

85 is where the 661 is at after machine work.......and without touching a burr to the port. I like to see about 40 degrees of primary compression. The 661 ends up with 35.

When I have a port that is at a height I consider too low, or high, I will not widen that port at all either. We gain time/area in two ways.....either by adding duration, or width.
What does this mean in english ?

Got the 35-40 wrong for primary compression. Im with Brian what do speak of master? Spent 5 min staring at a degree wheel moving it all over and couldn't figure it out.

Got the 35-40 wrong for primary compression. Im with Brian what do speak of master? Spent 5 min staring at a degree wheel moving it all over and couldn't figure it out.

Picture this in your mind........

The piston is traveling down the bore.......it's skirt passes the intake port's floor. That seals off the intake and begins the point of case/primary compression. The piston continues downward squeezing the mixture of fuel and air. That squeeze goes on until the transfer ports begin to open.

Intake closes at 85 degrees........transfers open at 120 degrees. 120 - 85 = 35.

This whole process gives us 5 points, or specs to consider when building a two stroke, piston ported engine.

1: Exhaust Height
2: Transfer Opening Point

The product of the interaction of those is 3: Blowdown.

4: Intake Closing Point

The product of that interaction is 5: Primary Compression.

This whole process gives us 5 points, or specs to consider when building a two stroke, piston ported engine.

1: Exhaust Height

The product of the interaction of those is 3: Blowdown.

4: Intake Closing Point

The product of that interaction is 5: Primary Compression.
Gotcha!

Now I'm really confused on how intake timing is determined :dizzy: I always figured it was after bottom dead center when it opens...then I've seen before top dead center when it opens...now it's after top dead center when it closes Dag I'm too simple for this stuff hahaha...I guess I need to get a proper degree wheel and start playin around.

Back