The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think there is a step or dove tail or some thing like that for those..........i always had a skidder.........i'm sure some one here knows for sure what the best way is.

Well that settles it. I need to move the skidder higher up on my firewood toy list.

Seriously, I was hoping there would be a more efficient way to reliably cut a root ball free. If I don't notch the top and I cut from the top a lot of these stems will pinch the bar at a certain point when the weight of the stem bends the hinge and pulls the root ball towards you - if you can power through then when the hinge is severed the root ball usually moves upward sometimes binding the bar against the stem if I'm not quick enough to get out of the cut. A wedge can prevents this but as I stated it sometimes causes the same bind between the severed stem and the root ball and cocks the gun so to speak; if I notch the top to prevent this later bind then there usually isn't room for the wedge. Given I don't always guess right, my bottom notch is a mirror image of the top notch but I feel like I am doing a lot of extra per-cautionary cutting.

Ron

I can't open that page slowp. I have a crappy server.
rwoods if your stump moves up to fall in the hole and hangs on the butt like a trigger sear, put your cuts in at an angle with the top away from the stump and the bottom closer. It usually does not take much angle at all. And make sure if your cuts don't line up that the bottom cut is slightly closer to the stump so that the step does not catch the butt or your saw bar as it swings up.

That is exactly what I was trying to describe if you add just a little angle to the cuts.
The angle is usually not needed as the stump usually moves away from the butt if it is falling back into the hole

My first computer art and done left handed. Here's the offset cut. Note the log is levitating.:)

View attachment 395670

That horizontal part breaks off. The rootwad/butt side will drop first.
yes step.........now whats the other one........more complicated.......one of you western folks talked about it a year or so ago. its now lost some where in the back of mah brain under some shop manuals........

some thing about it would keep the log from rolling down hill

Joesawyer, if I am reading you right I just need the angled cuts and skip all the notching. Correct?

slowp, if the root ball end is rising instead of falling shouldn't my cuts be the opposite that you drew?

Thanks, Ron

Joesawyer, if I am reading you right I just need the angled cuts and skip all the notching. Correct?

slowp, if the root ball end is rising instead of falling shouldn't my cuts be the opposite that you drew?

Thanks, Ron

It seems logical. Like I said, this cut takes me a bit of time to ponder before cutting.

It seems logical. Like I said, this cut takes me a bit of time to ponder before cutting.

I get to chasing my tail and scratching my head a lot with all my notching every time I come across one that I think will tip forward on me.

Just an angle works. There's no need for the notches. Keep your head back. Those roots can stand up in a hurry.

Thanks. The quick stand up is why I typically cut close to the stump. Of course this increases the chance of getting squashed if you judged wrong and the rootball falls towards you as there is little to no leg to catch it.

All of the variables is what makes the challenge appealing to me.

Ron

I will add for the benefit of other non-pros like myself who trespass over here that we are discussing the simplest of root ball presentation with a stabilized stem. With a stablished stem, another tip to help protect your head is to cut with the root ball to your right if you have that choice and all else is equal.

Ron

decided to get the cutting edge cut off the backhoe today... stopped grinding right around 3pm, then there where lots of distant explosions, what sounded like sirens, and gunfire...

I guess the Seahawks are going to the super bowl?

With my earplugs out it turned out to be just screaming and fireworks...

I don't think it is a western thing BUT if you think the stump is going to move towards you, stand on the other side.
The tree will tell you if the stump is going to stand up or roll on over before you cut it off. Read the tension in the trunk as you cut it which you need to do to avoid pinching or slabbing.

Since we have started a new year, we should strive for a more positive outlook. The purpose of this thread is for

WHINING, as only foresters and loggers know how to do. But the new title puts a positive spin on our ordinary whining and therefore unwhines it.....

Continue on. What analytical processes did you go through today?

My feet got wet today.
The way I see it Slowp, we can all sit back at our age and listen to the trees growing. Trees like a garden need to be weeded out and if we want carrots we should weed our garden. Trees are glorified grass and we can't stop them from growing. It would be nice if I could address you with a first name.
John

Urban interface. :angry: I have three loads of pine to cut this morning in an area of expensive mansions, 20 acre minimum lot size, and gated access.
We're not allowed to start a saw until after 8 a.m. and the trucks can't come in until after 9.
The Forester who's over-seeing the job just shakes his head and mumbles a lot.
After I'm done cutting, skidding, loading, and hauling , another outfit comes in. The brush will be chipped, the stumps removed, the cutting area raked, graded and reseeded to grass.
Instant non-forest. None of that "so ugly, just logged look"... the actual the words of one of the neighbors. :rolleyes:

Urban interface. :angry: I have three loads of pine to cut this morning in an area of expensive mansions, 20 acre minimum lot size, and gated access.
We're not allowed to start a saw until after 8 a.m. and the trucks can't come in until after 9.
The Forester who's over-seeing the job just shakes his head and mumbles a lot.
After I'm done cutting, skidding, loading, and hauling , another outfit comes in. The brush will be chipped, the stumps removed, the cutting area raked, graded and reseeded to grass.
Instant non-forest. None of that "so ugly, just logged look"... the actual the words of one of the neighbors. :rolleyes:
You should have swung by and brought Northman to help. If they thought the "so ugly, just logged look" was scary............

You should have swung by and brought Northman to help. If they thought the "so ugly, just logged look" was scary............

Nah, he'd be a big help but he'd probably eat up all the donettos and drink what's left of the coffee. I only brought enough for me and the guy on the skidder.
It's daylight, I'm pacing back and forth...we should be doing something, dammit.

Back