The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may be wrong... Hel I probably am, but way i understand it if you are intrastate hauling you are exempt from log books here in wa, unless you travel more then 150 miles from home in a day, radius not actual miles.

but then you don't get to claim intrastate if your cargo is destined to leave the state, hence if you haul to the ports, or mills that ship outside the state, then you have to be classified interstate and jump through the bs of log books, and dot physicals every other year.

As far as electronic log books being required, I've heard rumors but nothing solid yet, bet yer ass that most of the loggers around here will eat the fine rather then spend money on electronic gizmo's that may or may not be compatible with their trucks. Or for that matter buy a new truck just to be compatible with a ridiculous law.

It's a mess and it just makes it even harder for a small guy to do business.

A friend of mine has a lumber truck and hauls mainly in California. Intra state, right? He unloaded in LA a couple of weeks ago and picked up a load of sacked fertilizer to come back north. He loaded the fertilizer in LA but the load originated in Texas. That made it, according to the ticket he got, the furtherance of an inter state load. He got popped at the first scales he came to for being over HOS. Under California rules he still had a couple of hours to run on his logbook but that load of sacks put him over hours. The fine was just over a thousand dollars. The cops watch for this kind of thing and they're dialed in.

As far as eating the fine for no ELD goes, I don't think a guy with his own truck can afford it. He might choke down the first one but like all fines the costs will escalate with each occurance. Since loggers run in a relatively small geographic area the cops will catch on pretty quick who's in compliance and who's not.

Staying within 100 or 150 air miles might work but I think you're also limited to a certain number hours a day to qualify for that exemption.

What log truckers, or any small trucking outfit absolutely don't need are more obstacles in their path. Most of them are just making wages and any little glitch will set them back, sometimes too far to recover.

There are a lot of trucks for sale in California. A lot of guys are just giving up and getting out before the government digs the hole any deeper.

I was looking for information. Period. So rather than say the grace period is only for those operating under the intrastate exemption you chose to use vulgar language and accusatory rhetoric. And I'm the jerk? You'd better take a long look in the mirror.

How about hey you have any more info on that? You came off as an asshat. Sounded like my kids talking to each other. Vulgar language? You should come to work with me. Twice this week I had to pack 10 gallons of fluid half mile thru the woods to the skidder. Wednesday was hydraulic and today was coolant. It was a ***** of a week. I told the Forester yesterday if I don't tip the skidder over on this one or lose an eye I will be surprised. Sure enough almost tipped her today. So if ya wanna be civil and talk normal we can do that. If ya wanna be a douchebag then be a douchebag. I really don't care.

It's a mess and it just makes it even harder for a small guy to do business.

A friend of mine has a lumber truck and hauls mainly in California. Intra state, right? He unloaded in LA a couple of weeks ago and picked up a load of sacked fertilizer to come back north. He loaded the fertilizer in LA but the load originated in Texas. That made it, according to the ticket he got, the furtherance of an inter state load. He got popped at the first scales he came to for being over HOS. Under California rules he still had a couple of hours to run on his logbook but that load of sacks put him over hours. The fine was just over a thousand dollars. The cops watch for this kind of thing and they're dialed in.

As far as eating the fine for no ELD goes, I don't think a guy with his own truck can afford it. He might choke down the first one but like all fines the costs will escalate with each occurance. Since loggers run in a relatively small geographic area the cops will catch on pretty quick who's in compliance and who's not.

Staying within 100 or 150 air miles might work but I think you're also limited to a certain number hours a day to qualify for that exemption.

What log truckers, or any small trucking outfit absolutely don't need are more obstacles in their path. Most of them are just making wages and any little glitch will set them back, sometimes too far to recover.

There are a lot of trucks for sale in California. A lot of guys are just giving up and getting out before the government digs the hole any deeper.

60 hours/week or 14 hours a day is what I heard. Have to take a 30 minute break away from the truck. Home every night. We are thinking we will have to put in a yard somewhere between me and the mill where we can stage logs and then have the point of origin there where the trucker sleeps in a hotel until the logs make it to the mill.

I don't think so, the guy clearly asked for clarification & all he got back was the usual idiotic abusive stuff from the usual suspects which appeared to only applied to one state, which the usual suspects think constitutes the world

The prognosticator of prognosticators

You had a bad day. Everybody does. No excuse. As mother would tell you, " wherever ignorance predominates, vulgarity invariably asserts itself."

Damn dude,

You may have noticed that this younger generation took to vulgarity like a duck to water.

Our parents tried... they did, but I learned my best **** from my mom so? Still hate Tabasco though.

In the end its just words, adjectives if you will.

But what do I know I was raised by bikers, loggers, Felons and wolfs

Oh yes d bag is at it again yes you BW.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Did you get caught out taking tripe again? Have a machine upended by an idiot you couldn't sack? Dog eat your favourite hat? Something must have happened for you back the wrong nag in the race.

You had a bad day. Everybody does. No excuse. As mother would tell you, " wherever ignorance predominates, vulgarity invariably asserts itself."

You want info then ask for it in a decent way. You want to be a jackass be a jackass. I'd tell you the same thing no matter what day it was. You started out sarcastic and with an omnipotent aire. Being the first time we've interacted it's hard to gauge where you're at. If one of the regulars would have said that id give em some **** back with the answer and think nothing of if it. I don't know who you are or the horse you came in on. Maybe you should head to the forestryforum. They don't like cussing there either.

You want info then ask for it in a decent way. You want to be a jackass be a jackass. I'd tell you the same thing no matter what day it was. You started out sarcastic and with an omnipotent aire. Being the first time we've interacted it's hard to gauge where you're at. If one of the regulars would have said that id give em some **** back with the answer and think nothing of if it. I don't know who you are or the horse you came in on. Maybe you should head to the forestryforum. They don't like cussing there either.

If that's true why tell all about your day to begin with? You offered it as an excuse. It may be a reason, but it's no excuse. Go back and read the actual words, not what you've decided they mean. There was nothing demeaning or sarcastic in my question. As for your foul mouth; there are over 150,000 words in the English language. If you can't express yourself without vulgarity it says a lot more about you tha it does me.

Damn dude,

You may have noticed that this younger generation took to vulgarity like a duck to water.

Our parents tried... they did, but I learned my best **** from my mom so? Still hate Tabasco though.

In the end its just words, adjectives if you will.

But what do I know I was raised by bikers, loggers, Felons and wolfs

I can probably make you blush. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. The language used was unwarranted and gratuitous. As with young folks today as well as the culprit here, the regular use of vulgarity only lessens it's meaning, and the quality of our discourse suffers for it. I don't tolerate being spoken to like that face to face, let alone from someone who's hiding behind a screen name without an address.

If that's true why tell all about your day to begin with? You offered it as an excuse. It may be a reason, but it's no excuse. Go back and read the actual words, not what you've decided they mean. There was nothing demeaning or sarcastic in my question. As for your foul mouth; there are over 150,000 words in the English language. If you can't express yourself without vulgarity it says a lot more about you tha it does me.
I told you about my day because there was a few words flying around the woods as an example for vulgar language not to make an excuse for the way I reacted to you. Like I said you want to be holier then thou on your high horse then go ahead. You've made my list. And it's a pretty short list around here. Most guys are civil to start out with. Not sure why you had to start it out that way.

Show me " That Way". You read something into my question that wasn't there and now you can't find a way to back out of the position you've put yourself into. Merry Christmas.

J H, I personally don't know you or bitzer. But I doubt it was your question that bothered him. It was likely your response (quoted below) to his initial answer. No offense on my part intended, but it felt like a smack in the face when I read it even before bitzer had posted his reply. I dare say he took it the same way. May just be regional and personality differences. I'm in my 35th year married to a Rhode Islander and I still have trouble distinguishing ill-will slams from benign mannerisms. Trying to figure out a southern boy hasn't been a cake walk for her either.

Ron

That's good for you, but it doesn't explain how and why you get special dispensation from Federal Law which was my question.

I don't mean to belabor this any longer but, I see no anamous in that statement. It's good for him that he gets an extension if he needs it. I asked how he got special treatment on federal law and telling me that a trooper told him so doesn't answer the question. Troopers don't write law. Trucking is a small but important part of my business and I need all the info I can get. That's why I posed the question in the first place. There's enough false information out there to cost a little guy like me more than I can afford. I've spent enough time undergoing level 3 checks road side to know I don't know everything. He could have said it had to do with his state forming new intrastate regs , which fed regs don't cover. I took his answer as blowing me off on a legitimate question. When I am asked a question, I give a direct answer. I expect the same from others. Even if the answer is " I don't know". You are correct when you say it's not easy to get a feel for what people mean over the Internet. There's no facial clues or inflection in a voice. There are times like now, when things get quickly out of hand and that's regrettable. You are a voice of reason. Merry Christmas.

This is exactly how I was told it went. That's normal operating. There's normal operating then there's Break Up. Then they really put in the hours. Dean once told me that his record week during break up was 125 hours. That's nuts.

Then some of the guys just about using tape to hold their eyes open. Only the good guys will take care of business like that, and Dean was one of the good guys. We talk about him all the time.

Back