The dreaded which saw question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lt1nut

lt1nut

ArboristSite Member
Bear with me, I'll try not to ramble here. Thank you.

After spending hundreds of hours here I have narrowed it down to three saws: 5100; NE 346, or; 260.

5100:
Nearest "stocking dealer" is 45 minutes away and stocks the 510 instead of the 5100. I have not visited his shop. No known dealers near my camp up Nort (Forest County, WI). Assume full list price to purchase one... I am drawn to this saw because of it's power and price.

NE 346:
Nearest stocking dealer is 10 minutes away and the same shop I use for my ZTR mower, brush cutter/trimmer, etc. He does not have one in stock but can have one w/in days for ~$60 more than the 5100. I am not worried about needing parts up Nort as someone would have them or a loaner saw if push came to shove. I know, doesn't sound "fair" vs. what I said about the 5100 parts situation. I have read about how well this saw handles and that, along with weight and power/torque/rpm is one of the main things that draws me to it.

260:
Same dealer as the 346, has one in stock for ~$20 more than the 346. I held the saw and it felt fine, did not run it. This saw seems to be as well regarded as the 346 and admittedly has a higher resale value if my boy decides to sell it when it goes to him after I die (I'm only 40). I asked if he's run both the 346 and 260 and what he thought. He said the 346 is wider and has more power. IF I got this one it would be stored in one of the Husky "boxes" provided it fits, call it sacrilege or whatever, I like the box.

The largest wood I cut is ~20", most are ~12". I do this for the fireplace at home which is used primarily when it is above 25*F and is not the main source of heat. Figure 1 to 2 cords (not face cords) a year. I have a very bad back (2 fusions so far), that is the reason for not getting a 357 or 361 and why the apparent handling aspect of the 346 is so enticing.

In all honesty I'm leaning towards the 346 and replacing the cat/muffler after it's broken in. I don't know, I guess I kind of root for the "underdog" sometimes but also believe that Stihl has been trading on their name for a while.

Am I thinking strait? Have I figured out all aspects of the decision? Am I over-analyzing this (YES!)? Personal opinions from those of you who have worked with at least two of these? I DO NOT WANT TO START A BRAND WAR.

Tell me whatcha'll think please.....:greenchainsaw:

wdchuck

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've run a 5100, very nice in the hands, thumbs up on the antivibe, it will be the replacement for my Stihl 028WB.

I've run an MS260, nice saw, easy to work on, I like Stihls, but I'd get a 5100 first.

Have NOT run a 346, so no comment there.

Bowtie

Bowtie

Gearhead
I personally think you cant go wrong with any of the three you listed. All 3 are great saws. Get the one you like the most for price and brand. I have an 026 Pro and love it, but have read here on AS nothing but good about the 346 and 5100.

grandpatractor

grandpatractor

Addicted to ArboristSite
Have you done a search off the dolmar web site? I got 11 dealers withing 50 miles of racine. I realize most won't have a 5100 , but some quick phone calls won't hurt. Any smart dealer will have a couple 5100's in stock. But if you can't find a smart dealer, there is nothing wrong with the 346 for a few more bucks. I have seen them with a bigger split than 60 bucks. the 5100 vs346 are pretty well neck and neck. I ran the 2153 j-red. same saw different color.

hornett224

hornett224

ArboristSite Guru
i'd get the 346 ne.

it's an awesome saw.i love it and i run a 16" with Stihl RSC chain in 3/8 pitch.the 5100 is also an awesome saw but if you don't have a closer dealer i'd spend the extra $ for the closer dealer.the Dolmar dealers here for the most part hardly stock saws,let alone parts.too bad because they are fantastic saws.

the 026 is a great saw for it's time but that has kind of passed.

the J Red 2153 seems ok but my buddies doesn't seem to have the power of the 346 and he's only running .325 chain.it was almost $100 more than the husky as well.he paid $40 less than i could have bought a brand new MS 361 for.doesn't make sense to me and J Red dealers aren't that common either.they do seem to stock well though.

just my opinion.good luck in what ever you chose.

nikocker

nikocker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Get the NE346XP!!!

Bear with me, I'll try not to ramble here. Thank you.

After spending hundreds of hours here I have narrowed it down to three saws: 5100; NE 346, or; 260.

5100:
Nearest "stocking dealer" is 45 minutes away and stocks the 510 instead of the 5100. I have not visited his shop. No known dealers near my camp up Nort (Forest County, WI). Assume full list price to purchase one... I am drawn to this saw because of it's power and price.

NE 346:
Nearest stocking dealer is 10 minutes away and the same shop I use for my ZTR mower, brush cutter/trimmer, etc. He does not have one in stock but can have one w/in days for ~$60 more than the 5100. I am not worried about needing parts up Nort as someone would have them or a loaner saw if push came to shove. I know, doesn't sound "fair" vs. what I said about the 5100 parts situation. I have read about how well this saw handles and that, along with weight and power/torque/rpm is one of the main things that draws me to it.

260:
Same dealer as the 346, has one in stock for ~$20 more than the 346. I held the saw and it felt fine, did not run it. This saw seems to be as well regarded as the 346 and admittedly has a higher resale value if my boy decides to sell it when it goes to him after I die (I'm only 40). I asked if he's run both the 346 and 260 and what he thought. He said the 346 is wider and has more power. IF I got this one it would be stored in one of the Husky "boxes" provided it fits, call it sacrilege or whatever, I like the box.

The largest wood I cut is ~20", most are ~12". I do this for the fireplace at home which is used primarily when it is above 25*F and is not the main source of heat. Figure 1 to 2 cords (not face cords) a year. I have a very bad back (2 fusions so far), that is the reason for not getting a 357 or 361 and why the apparent handling aspect of the 346 is so enticing.

In all honesty I'm leaning towards the 346 and replacing the cat/muffler after it's broken in. I don't know, I guess I kind of root for the "underdog" sometimes but also believe that Stihl has been trading on their name for a while.

Am I thinking strait? Have I figured out all aspects of the decision? Am I over-analyzing this (YES!)? Personal opinions from those of you who have worked with at least two of these? I DO NOT WANT TO START A BRAND WAR.

Tell me whatcha'll think please.....:greenchainsaw:

All three saws are great but you surely won't be dissapointed with the 346!
BTW there's a great dealer in Antigo that stocks and sells all three brands! Also usually has all three saws in stock that you're interested in! Not that far from Forest County depending where your camp is located.
Good luck inyour decision!

Al :cheers:

Last edited:
nikocker

nikocker

Addicted to ArboristSite
That's odd. . .

the J Red 2153 seems ok but my buddies doesn't seem to have the power of the 346 and he's only running .325 chain.it was almost $100 more than the husky as well.he paid $40 less than i could have bought a brand new MS 361 for.doesn't make sense to me and J Red dealers aren't that common either.they do seem to stock well though.

I was just at a dealer last week east of here that stocks and sells both Jred and Husky and they had the 2153 (4 in stock) for about $35 less than the NE346!
I guess it's different strokes for different folks!

hornett224

hornett224

ArboristSite Guru
it didn't make sense to me either.

I was just at a dealer last week east of here that stocks and sells both Jred and Husky and they had the 2153 (4 in stock) for about $35 less than the NE346!
I guess it's different strokes for different folks!

nobody around here stocked them.that was the price the rep gave the dealer.the dealer has the best saw prices i know of anywhere so it was odd.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
.... At the Ohio gtg the 5100 and NE346 ran neck and neck in timed cuts, so your not going to regret buying a 346.

More details?????

.. thinking about cutting attachments and such...

Ours perform about the same as well, but the Husky do it with a tad more style - but haven't compared them with the same attachments so far........

Last edited:
Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol

ArboristSite Guru
In the shadow of the world's tallest building
Don't wait until after break-in to replace the cat muffler. My 359 had a non-cat muffler in the box with it when it was delivered, and was installed before I ever started the saw.

I did, however, wait until after break-in to mod the non-cat muffler!

Just my opinion: the extra heat generated by the cat is not going to help during break-in. Do the saw a favor and ditch the cat straight off.

dancan

dancan

Spruce , The preferred wood of the Purgatory !
. AS Supporting Member.
my brother had a husky 340 , crank seals gave out after a dozen or so tankfuls of fuel , did the same search and decided on an ms260 or a 5100 . no dealer within 100 miles had a 5100 but they all had 510's :( so ms260 it was (only 5 mi) .
I should kick my butt for forgetting the makita connection because i wanted a chance to play with a new era dolmar :greenchainsaw: .

Latest posts