The Effects on Trees Through Lawncare..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yin

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I've been a lerker here for quite some time. Havent had the need to ask questions as I find the "search" feature quite the tool for answers to all my questions. Ive been working on our sidehill since last august. I wanted to create a conopy and an area to setup and relax for the family during the hot days of summer. I removed alot of compitition growth and did alot of clearing. I planted lots of grass and is taking well this year. My question is we've signed up for chemalawn lawncare to treat the grass on our property this year and am conserned about the affect the treatments will have on our trees. Negetive/Positive. Will the treatments promote the trees to thrive or damage them ?
Thank you for any replies and keep up the great work !!!

Last edited:
Oh ! Here are some pictures of what I've done so far.

Cleanup11.jpg

Cleanup14.jpg

Cleanup16.jpg

Originally posted by Yin
Here's a few more. Sorry they are so Big.
Came thru ok here.
#1, anyone cutting the grass will damage the trunks because they aren't protected by mulch.
#2, chemlawn etc can kill young trees by use of preemergents.
#3, In small areas between trees best to plant shrubs; that slope will shed chemicals unless it is buffered by natural areas.

Chemlawn is a selling process that makes a lawn dependent on the repeat treatments.

No new root growth, synthetic ammendments, salt build-up, nitrate pollution, ground water contamination, trees dying.

It works for suburbia but WonderBread looks good.

Swat me for libel, but I've spent more time remediating sick trees in ChemLawn's path than I've used years getting to my age.

Just my humble opinion though.

Good pic with the lawnchair and beer-for watching the grass grow?:D
It looks good now but I gotta tell you by middle of summer when it gets hot and trees are fully leafed out it will start thinnning out pretty fast. We reseed areas like that yearly but try to mulch as much as possible if we can talk people into it. That's got to be a bear to mow.

Originally posted by oakwilt
Chemlawn is a selling process that makes a lawn dependent on the repeat treatments.

No new root growth, synthetic ammendments, salt build-up, nitrate pollution, ground water contamination, trees dying.

It works for suburbia but WonderBread looks good.

Swat me for libel, but I've spent more time remediating sick trees in ChemLawn's path than I've used years getting to my age.

Just my humble opinion though.

Have you ever noticed how biologically dead their lawns are? I mean, not even a lousy earthworm.

They suck.

Good pic with the lawnchair and beer-for watching the grass grow?
hehe That was the victory brew ! After a long days work . Actually.. I had several after that :eek: What a hot one that day was.

Have you ever noticed how biologically dead their lawns are? I mean, not even a lousy earthworm.

So it seems I'm doing more harm than good. Any suggestions on maintaining with out the use of fertilizers ? I think theres only one more treatment left in the package we bought .

Eric, checked-out your website.

Impressive. Are you getting a lot of requests from the info you provide?

Thanks, oak!

It seems that alot of the PHC work comes from people who looked at the site first.

According the the site stats, it gets about 30 hits a day. Better than I ever figured it would.

I still have tons I'd like to add, but it's tough this time of year to find the time!

Nice job on your site Erik. Vary informative. Awesome pics too !!
Wow I grew up in Chicopee ! Small world. I'm deffinately convinced on cancelling ChemaLawn. After the third application my wifes clematis died (go figure). She had three up on our side hill.:rolleyes: Insted of lurking here for so long I should have asked questions from the getgo! live and learn.:angel:

I lived on Nassau Street (by the Dugout) for awhile. That got old FAST...

'sides, I'm still a hick at heart.

:laugh:

When I was a kid that area was pretty nice to be around. Had some family there back in the day. But now omg. Not to safe me thinks. I lived on Eighth Ave. for most of my days growing up. It's at the top of James Street Hill. Just a half click from the Buffalo Club;)

Last edited:
You ain't kidding. Had to wear boots just to walk in the hallways to keep from stepping on needles and crack pipes.

No kidding, either.

Not to mention my wife and I were the only caucasians on the block...

Interesting thread - since I happen to be taking Pesticides class at the college here for the 4th time - last was about 8 years ago.

I'm using it for the CEUs for my arborist certificate, since they allow college classes related to the domains.

As I sit reviewing and learning some, I once again am reminded why I let my applicators and consultants licenses for pesticides lapse.

Anyhow, about the trees, I figure, if there are no weeds under the trees with thorns or something, what's wrong with a few. They add character. I used to just spot spray a few weeds once or twice a year instead of blanket applications.

Trees may not be best with turf underneath, but I've seen trees last for decades on end with grass beneath as long as watering did not get out of hand, and mowers did not scar the trunks.

Personally, I don't prefer to choose "fast food" companies in most cases.

Have not talked too you guys here for a long time. Had a email pop up today about another thread.

I've been swamped beyond imagination with work. Odd thing - my largest installations have always been in the fall other years. This year, I have had several installs this spring, back-to-back, that exceed any installs of any other year. I can barely even return calls or do estimates.

I jokes with my webmaster about pulling our website - but that is a joke. On google search, it's not only the number one slot business result for portland tree service, but also for portland landscape design, even with er, ers, ing, and also portland arborist - not to mention a myriad of landscape terms.

Basically, I'm just selecting the jobs I want to go for, instead of going for every estimate like before.

Glad to be back for a chat.

Originally posted by M.D. Vaden
Basically, I'm just selecting the jobs I want to go for, instead of going for every estimate like before.

Glad to be back for a chat.
Welcome to the next level. It's a hard climb, but the view's worth it, isn't it?

Would you agree that with this guy's slope, some mulched natural areas, maybe some understory planting and o yes maybe a few less trees might imptove things?

Would you agree that with this guy's slope, some mulched natural areas, maybe some understory planting and o yes maybe a few less trees might imptove things?

Maybe edit one of my pictures with paint and suggest whitch trees to remove ? I'd prefer to leave them though . I really like the shade the canopy produces and the lowered temp in comparrison to under direct sun. ORclimber nice site thanks !
My wife and I are going to start with hostas at the top of the slope and work our way down with other shade loving plants. It will also help prevent further errosion. We are also in the prosses of getting estimates on retaining walls. I've decided to mulch around the tree trunks in hopes to keep them healthy for years to come. Chemalawn came by yesterday and was met by my angry wife wanting an explination for her dead rosebush and clematis . The guy said he didnt spray in those areas. Well I guess it does'nt matter because we wont be needing there services anymore.
:angel:

One of the best landscapers around is G & H over in Holyoke. I'm their arborist sub, and lemme tell ya... they do AWESOME work. I know, 'cuz I get to see theirs alot.

Latest posts

Back