The Effects on Trees Through Lawncare..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Yin
Maybe edit one of my pictures with paint and suggest whitch trees to remove ?
Boy you sure want a lot of service in your free online consultations!

I'd prefer to leave them though . I really like the shade the canopy produces
An old prof once remarked that the more trees he thinned, the more shade he got; true cuz an uncrowded tree will grow a fuller crown than two crowded trees. That said I sure don't think you should cut them willynilly.:eek:

First step is to learn how to ID them so you know what they'll grow up to be. Strive for diversity; makes for a healthier treescape and a healthier society, and o yes a healthier online forum when likethinking dogs don't run off strangers just cuz they seem strange or less edjerkated...:p

Boy you sure want a lot of service in your free online consultations!

heh..ok..sorry.
Well there's a cherry, several ash, the large one is a black wallnut, there's a couple oak and what my neighbor calls "swamp maples" theres quite a few of them. Is there such a thing ? Swamp Maples ?

One of the best landscapers around is G & H over in Holyoke

I'll give them a call. I didn't think of it cause it's kinda far from here. Thanks:)

Yin,

I haven't been paying that much attention to this thread, this is just my take on the subject.

Mowing that slope is going to get old in time. Keeping up with turf is just a big money pit IMO. The last thing I want to do after working with trees all day is to mow the yard. Just a big waste of time, fuel, not to mention keeping up with the mower for maintenance. Have a lawn service come in to increase my work, no thanks, not for me.

Seems cutting grass and having a weed free lawn is getting to be a national past time and some kind of status symbol that eludes my way of thinking.

I'm with all the others here, mulch it or use groundcover or some other understory plants.

Which brings me to addressing the good GM, on the subject of ground covers. You mentioned a while back that that some ground covers were not good when co planted with trees. I think it was Boston Ivy you singled out, could you elaborate just a little on this and why and how you came to this conclusion. Either I missed something along the line or I didn't read your post quite right.

Larry

Originally posted by Ax-man
Which brings me to addressing the good GM, You mentioned a while back that that some ground covers were not good when co planted with trees. I think it was Boston Ivy you singled out,
Who, me? :p
Down here in zone 7 boston ivy runs wild and gets real weedy. In IL it may be more manageable. That's all.

Taht said, b. ivy makes an excellent living fence down here, well worth the mtc to keep it under control.

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
Guy would rather see Kudzu used when a fast growing groundcover is needed:eek:
jps have you been away so long that Maasian sarcasm is all you have to offer?

Irony as I understand it has some literal seriousness to it; I guess I'm too dense to pick up on how the Kudzu comment is close to anything real.:alien:

Next time I see a fence made of english ivy i'll send a pic so you see what I mean.

The swamp maples your neighbor is talking about are probably Red Maples. You might have a problem with certain plants growing under the Black Walnut, the put out a chemical that inhibits root growth of other plants.
Tons of shade plants that look great, Ivy is way more work than I would consider.

My Wife and I started to fertilize(organic) and mulch today. Picked up a yard of cedar for 35 bucks. What do ya think ? Man when we were pulling up the grass it was like pulling up carpet !

Thanks Guy I appreciate it man:) About the trunk . I have no idea. It was like that when we moved in last august. It does'nt look the greatest but I'm hopping with some tlc it will grow BIG. I'll take another angle of it . Theres more dammage and I hope it will heal.

"swamp" maples

Hey Yin, if you're still checking this thread-

At least some of those maples you've got look like Norway maples to me. Did my Masters' research on that species, so I can spot 'em. Leaves like sugar, but somewhat broader, darker. For a positive ID, pluck a leaf off - the sap in the petiole will be milky white for Norway, clear for sugar.

They'll self-establish from seed falling from a parent tree. The good news for you (since you want shade) is that they cast a very deep shade - deeper than sugar maple or beech, even.

Thanks Jeff.

Yeah they look like Norway maples thanks for the input. That scraped one in the front looks like the bark is seperating from the trunk and has several holes that go pretty deep. There are lots of leaves up top but I'm worried that the tree will die from this dammage. My batteries are dead in my camera so I can't post another pic yet. I'll get one up asap. I had the pleasure of working with Erik from netree the past two days and he showed me the differances between the leaves of Norway maples and Swamp Maples. It was a great learning experience to be a part of his operation. :)

So goes the saying
I think Erik was made to teach. He explains things clearly and stays calm. It's easy to see that he loves what he does. I have absolutely no complaints at all. Driving home from the job I thought of the work we did and what he tought me. I see why every one was so flamed at the pics I posted of that Maple takedown. I hope to work with him again in the near future.
Thanks again Erik!:D

Back