The funnest thing I've EVER done.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hank Chinaski

Number 37
Reaction score
yesterday my son (5yo) ran inside and told my wife that the funnest thing he's EVER done was help daddy split the firewood using the log splitter. (I let him run the up/down control handle while I supervised/handled the wood). Mom said "wasn't it loud" he said "no, we had on our earmups" :D

I take truck& trailer loads of firewood to a friend of mine who has a young daughter and son. The boy especially likes to grab what he can carry, (usually bark he's pretty tiny) he gets the biggest grin on his face throwing the bark from my trailer floor toward the woodpile. Was gonna let him operate the throttle on the kombi, but he got scared of it.:hmm3grin2orange:

My boy is three, turns four in January. He loves power equipment, and has knack for figuring out how they work by just watching for a couple minutes. Last October, while I was doing some splitting, he came out and watched for about two minutes (he hadn't even turned three yet)... while I was rolling a round over to the splitter he walks up and puts his hand on the lever. I hoisted the round onto the splitter and he throws the lever. So anyway we go along like that until there's a pile of splits laying there, and I stop to toss 'em in the trailer. My back hadn't been turned more than a few seconds and I hear the splitter throttle up... that little hellion had put a small round on the beam and thrown the lever! I learned the hard way to never set an idling saw on the ground, 'cause he'll sure as heck run over and press the trigger. I need to unplug any electric power tool such as a circular saw or drill if I set it down for even a few seconds, he figures out the safety catch in a blink of an eye. The wife caught him messing with the arc welder today, he was putting a rod in the stinger, and I have no doubt he knows where the "on" switch is... so that's unplugged now also.

He's strong for his age, and size... but putting in long hours with daddy makes him that way. He can chuck a split up into the trailer without so much as a grunt. Mom is getting a lot of new gray hairs...

my boy turns 4 end of the month and does the same stuff ! if you go in the barn or shop and use something you better distract him with your other hand or he'll be doing the same thing he saw me do. he turns on the tv and the dvd/vcr player selects the input channel, dvd and starts the dang thing up - drives my 8 yr old daughter crazy when he shuts hers down an puts his on -all she knows bout 'em is the power button. :laugh:

worked 3 straight weeks at the mill and finally got a day off today, wife asked him yesterday if he was going to granny's or stay with me. he said "i'll just hang around with my dad". wife asked "what are ya'll gonna do"- he said "i don't know yet but it's gonna be fun":rock:.

My boy (5) has just started getting interested in Dad and Mom aint happy LOL He has already claimed the log splitter as his and every time I am working on it he is right with me. Wants to do far more than is a good idea to let him. Feels good now that he is interested in dad.

My youngest daugher, eight, is very good. Every time I use a tool, or jack up a car, etc. I explain the dangers involved and how to mitigate them (PPE, don't put limbs under heavy objects etc.) More often than not, she is the saftey police. She'll tell me when I'm in danger, and I'll tell her why I thought it was a good idea (sometimes grasping at straws).

She helps with the splitter handle, but waits for my signal. Just lucky with her, I guess, cause my teenagers are about clueless. They "borrowed" my chop saw the other day and all I could think about is that they have NO CLUE (litterally nothing) about the dangers. I would trust my 8 year old over my 16 year olds with power tools, simply cause she pays attention to the details, not the end results.

Anyway... Kids are a heap of fun, especially when you can channel their energy towards doing good.

My boy is three, turns four in January. He loves power equipment, and has knack for figuring out how they work by just watching for a couple minutes. Last October, while I was doing some splitting, he came out and watched for about two minutes (he hadn't even turned three yet)... while I was rolling a round over to the splitter he walks up and puts his hand on the lever. I hoisted the round onto the splitter and he throws the lever. So anyway we go along like that until there's a pile of splits laying there, and I stop to toss 'em in the trailer. My back hadn't been turned more than a few seconds and I hear the splitter throttle up... that little hellion had put a small round on the beam and thrown the lever! I learned the hard way to never set an idling saw on the ground, 'cause he'll sure as heck run over and press the trigger. I need to unplug any electric power tool such as a circular saw or drill if I set it down for even a few seconds, he figures out the safety catch in a blink of an eye. The wife caught him messing with the arc welder today, he was putting a rod in the stinger, and I have no doubt he knows where the "on" switch is... so that's unplugged now also.

He's strong for his age, and size... but putting in long hours with daddy makes him that way. He can chuck a split up into the trailer without so much as a grunt. Mom is getting a lot of new gray hairs...

I'm having flashbacks to when my youngest son was little (he'll soon turn 25). A couple days shy of his third birthday, he's watching me work on a project that involved driving some nails. He got all excited and asked if he could try it. I selected a very lightweight hammer and some roofing nails for the big diameter heads and gave him a hunk of 2"x4" to whack on. I'm thinking he's going to ding his finger and go crying to my wife and then I'll be able to get some work done. Well, he proceeds to sit there for the next two hours and drive about 30 nails PERFECTLY into that board. I think the only reason he stopped is he got tired. That board hangs in my shop today. It's one of my most prized possessions.

My boy is 24 and going to school for the fisheries dept of the DNR...he tried the Marines until he busted his back...anyway...David was a gas until he started to like girls...now that he's had a few he's comin back to Dad...just asked me if we could bow hunt deer this yr...said he got a new bow and has been practicing. Well I'll tell you I didn't hesitate to say yes.

My daughter who just turned 21 is not half bad either as a fishergal!
2011openwater607.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back