The how many hours your saw has thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a notepad somewhere with bd ft milled and fuel used to mill it from last year.

I remember getting the best fuel economy and wood cut with a 088. The worst was a ported 390. Took 2.5 gallons to get 54 bd ft of cherry milled. I can remember that well cause I thought for sure I could get more cut on that fuel can. I want to say a tank would run out in around 9 minutes.

It's hard to put many hours on a saw in a day, logging i put the most on one but still I carry it more than I use it.
Don't take long to cut a tree down and top it. 5 or 6 tanks of fuel would be a busy day in the woods here and my saws don't take long to get a tank through them.

I'm with gyppo, like to know how many miles I get on a pair of boots.

my newest saw is a 576 and it has 550 tanks on it. likely more but i'll estimate less for this. just going by how many burned in a day. now, the 576 seems to have a small tank and don't go much longer then half hour per filling whereas something like a 460 stihl will go for damn near 45 min. so just going by those conservative estimated numbers my newest saw has over 250 hours on it. the others i lost track. running 50:1 a saw is getting pretty tired at 400 hours but that does not mean they won't run much longer in their tired state. they seem to stay healthier longer running more oil.
You beveraging?

It's hard to put many hours on a saw in a day, logging i put the most on one but still I carry it more than I use it.
Don't take long to cut a tree down and top it. 5 or 6 tanks of fuel would be a busy day in the woods here and my saws don't take long to get a tank through them.

I'm with gyppo, like to know how many miles I get on a pair of boots.

i can burn 10 in a day through the 576 but it does have a small tank. our wood is also so big here it is like milling lol real long cuts throughout the day. mike was getting 9 minutes per tank out of a ported 390. i get more time out of a tank through my ported 390 than i do the stock 576. milling is rough though. works the piss out of the saw and the saw is usually tuned rich to combat the heat.

I'll have a 066 or 394/5 in my hands and they hold lots of full but they like it also.

At age 66, I need a reverse hour meter to see how much time I've got left. :) Got 5 saws, 4 of which will outlast me for sure (one saw, bought used, is half way through its service life). My work is clearing and thinning with a 2-week logging stint a couple of years ago, usually teaming with a guy with large equipment. Check rpm's periodically with a hand-held tach. I spend an hour or two on our property daily, 4-5 hours/day working for others (couple times a month) and the logging was 6 hours a day (couldn't keep up the physical pace after awhile).

I have a tach/hour meter on my the two new trimmers I bought this year. The FS94R has 34.4 hours and the week old 327LDX has 3 hours and change on it.

When I got the tach I wanted to see how high I could piss rev an old FS88.

I'm just 40 and half the man I was, I will fill in once in awhile for one of my friends if they need a faller for a day just to get back in the woods, put half as many trees on the ground as I use to but get at least twice as tired. If I had somebody to carry my saw from tree to tree it would help, these hills here are hard on me. Lol

Cut and topped 50 the last time and was crippled for a couple days after. Lol

i can burn 10 in a day through the 576 but it does have a small tank. our wood is also so big here it is like milling lol real long cuts throughout the day. mike was getting 9 minutes per tank out of a ported 390. i get more time out of a tank through my ported 390 than i do the stock 576. milling is rough though. works the piss out of the saw and the saw is usually tuned rich to combat the heat.
First 395 I ported I made several cuts in big wood and the saw died. I was almost to the point of pulling it apart and thought to check the fuel tank. I think I made maybe 7 or 8 cuts. [emoji23]

First 395 I ported I made several cuts in big wood and the saw died. I was almost to the point of pulling it apart and thought to check the fuel tank. I think I made maybe 7 or 8 cuts. [emoji23]
My brother has a ms 390 that burns more gas than my 394 or 066, it's a truly remarkable pile of junk, almost as heavy as a 90cc saw and miserably underpowered.

You can see what saws I have in my signature,, they share 3-4 gallons of fuel a year, and among those one or two are usually a favorite for that year.
So they dont get used much. Sad but I like them all. I should thin the herd as I really need about 3 or 4..
BBB

I'll have a 066 or 394/5 in my hands and they hold lots of full but they like it also.

you come here and we'll see how long you like that 394/5 lol :) shifting you work area 70 degrees from gravitational pull will make you hate that saw. it is doable though. i just won't do it lol :givebeer:

you come here and we'll see how long you like that 394/5 lol :) shifting you work area 70 degrees from gravitational pull will make you hate that saw. it is doable though. i just won't do it lol :givebeer:
The last 576 I had my hands on wasn't a bag of feathers.

I don't want to carry any of them anymore. I just take the cylinders off and put them back on now and that's easier on the back.

The last 576 I had my hands on wasn't a bag of feathers.

i'll be the first one to tell you that! they are as heavy as a 390 to the feel. that's why i switched back. still got the 576. traded it for a 390 but the guy took a different saw instead. lose a tree straight down the hill then go limb it out. i'll ask you how your back feels then lol

i'll be the first one to tell you that! they are as heavy as a 390 to the feel. that's why i switched back. still got the 576. traded it for a 390 but the guy took a different saw instead. lose a tree straight down the hill then go limb it out. i'll ask you how your back feels then lol

Hey Shane,
If the 395xp is "too heavy" and the 576xp/390xp is still "heavy", can you drop down to a 372xp? Or do they not cut it with the longer bars?

Hey Shane,
Is the 395xp is "too heavy" and the 576xp/390xp is still "heavy", can you drop down to a 372xp? Or do they not cut it with the longer bars?

they do ok. much better then most here would realize. i'm not even sure which one i'd rather have between the 576 and 372. the 372 handles alot better and is really not much of a noticeable if any power loss. i like the weight of the 390's. doesn't bother me none. i also think the extra AV spring of the 390 is worth the extra weight all on it's own. stiff'n up the saw nicely. i will say using them on flat ground is 50x easier then on a 70% slope though lol. i like the XT more then the OE. the OE is nicer with shorter bars but loses it's pep once the bars get longer. XT handles longer bars better IMO

they do ok. i'm not even sure which one i'd rather have between the 576 and 372. the 372 handles alot better and is really not much of a noticeable if any power loss. i like the weight of the 390's. doesn't bother me none. i will say using them on flat ground is 50x easier then on a 70% slope though lol. i like the XT more then the OE. the OE is nicer with shorter bars but loses it's pep once the bars get longer. XT handles longer bars better.

I would run an OE 372xp with a 20/24" bar, by 28" they lose some speed, and by 32" they really take a hit. I'd have to run semi skip to keep RPMs up on a bar that long, but it'll cut slower. My XPW does better. But if I had to run a 36" bar I'd go to another saw. How would you rate the 372xp XT?
What size bar do most people run up there?

Back