The Italian Stallion, Olympyk 999

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stock ports.

IMG_2259_zpsf9171aab.jpg

IMG_2260_zpsc1d04d1b.jpg

IMG_2262_zpsd777217b.jpg

The upper and lower transfers didn't need much reshaping, just raised in the bore and staggered so the exhaust opens first.

IMG_2264_zps2b0ec291.jpg

IMG_2265_zpsd226fe93.jpg

The exhaust was only raised about 1/2 the distance cut out of the squish.

IMG_2263_zps29809dfd.jpg

A lot of material was taken out of the intake. It was widened and lowered around 0.1".

IMG_2266_zps0fa4f01c.jpg

One more of the intake.

IMG_2269_zps15c35301.jpg

The final numbers are.

Exhaust 163
Transfers 125
Intake 156
Blowdown 19

It originally had 165 compression... now it has 200 as assembled.

Looks good. You got the flood light out and making a video now?:D

He just got married.

He might be making a video .......... but it ain't outside!

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I'll keep it for a few GTG's at least. I'm looking forward to running it tomorrow. I started it in the garage and it seems much more angry.

Well with stock ports... minus the base gasket the numbers are.

160 compression cold.
0.030" squish
165 exhaust duration (169 with base gasket :msp_scared:)
124 transfer duration for 20 blowdown
136 intake duration

This thing feels pretty lazy to me. There is no throttle response and it lacks any upper end power. It likes to cut around 7500-8500 but it has a lot of grunt, it had an 8 pin on it. It will spool up to 12000 or so but it takes a while. I think most of it's problem is the low intake timing causing the terrible throttle response and it's lack of upper end grunt. Even though the carb is giant I still think it's starving. It was hard to tune the carb in, it was really sensitive on the high side and when you had the low side out enough to have semi-decent throttle response it would die when coming down from full throttle. Then the next problem would be a little too much exhaust timing, I'd like to see a few degrees less.

Opinions from people who know anything about these saws are welcome.

Thats what I have heard and experienced with all the newer big cc Efcos. They would rather lug than run out, so they seem lazy, and if you love to run Huskies, you really seem to hate that. Stihl people hate all that isn't Stihl. And that complaint also included the concrete version.

I know that there are no plans for a MT9900, but it would not surprise me if someone has one someday.

Back