The largest bar that you can put on a 038

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric P

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm going to go look at a used 038 and the guy tells me that has a 36-inch bar on it and then it runs just fine. It seems to me that this bar is too long or too much of a bar to run on that saw without ruining it. Am I correct?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Just cutting large-diameter White Oak Red Oak and Locust and some other soft or hard woods for the wood stove

I'm also looking at a husky 372xp from the same guy

Yeah I was looking for something that would handle the 25 to 30 inch bar but this is what this guy has the 038 with a 36-inch bar and a husky 372xp with 25 inch bar

I have had both. And will in a few days when my 372xp top end comes have both again. I would say the 038 magnum for the longer bars, I am guessing others would say otherwise. The 038 magnum has less HP but it is a slower revving higher torque saw with the longer bars (well it feels like it when using it). I think it would cut slower but feel nicer (ie the saw would just plod along at it's own pace without complaining). Just my opinion. But then again the 372xp weighs less and feels nicer day to day..

God I am talking crap... But it all makes sense to me.

I have had both. And will in a few days when my 372xp top end comes have both again. I would say the 038 magnum for the longer bars, I am guessing others would say otherwise. The 038 magnum has less HP but it is a slower revving higher torque saw with the longer bars (well it feels like it when using it). I think it would cut slower but feel nicer (ie the saw would just plod along at it's own pace without complaining). Just my opinion. But then again the 372xp weighs less and feels nicer day to day..

I have a dolmar 6100 with a 20 inch bar that I really like and I know people run 24 26 inch bars on it but I just wanted to figure saw because I'm cutting wood for my fireplace for heat that is too white for the bar that I use and I figured I could go to a bigger saw running 26 inch bar no problems. Some people are saying that I 038 Magnum we'll run a 36-inch bar. But I don't want to buy you saw this been tortured over its lifetime and end up getting into a repair.

The 1119 series Stihls vary from 60-70cc, the 70cc ones are fairly common with 28" or larger bars. If you have the time to keep the chain sharp and are capable of cutting with a light touch it will do it as long as the oiler is in good shape. Pretty much any 60cc saw will spin the chain if the oiler can oil it, after that it is sharpening and patience.

The 1119s were tanks, now they are old heavy bulky tanks.

I would not want to use a 038 past 24" bar myself, or the 372. I would choose the 372 all day long over an 038 though, in every regard.

The 1119 series Stihls vary from 60-70cc, the 70cc ones are fairly common with 28" or larger bars. If you have the time to keep the chain sharp and are capable of cutting with a light touch it will do it as long as the oiler is in good shape. Pretty much any 60cc saw will spin the chain if the oiler can oil it, after that it is sharpening and patience.

I would not want to use a 038 past 24" bar myself, or the 372. I would choose the 372 all day long over an 038 though, in every regard.
Thanks

Totally agree on the 372 over an 038 Mag for day in day out, hence me buying a 372 top end for my 362xp. For bullet proof build like you say I recon the 038 will still work well in another 20 years even if it is already 20 years old. Key word in your post is 'tank'

spot on, 038 mag has alot more torque than 372xp
and definitely will pull long bars better compared to 372xp
372xp could cut close to 038 mag maybe due to the smaller gauge ? 0.058 vs 0.063

i personally would pick 80+cc saw for bar over 25"

Latest posts

Back