The Logging Arch gets broke in

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can8ianTimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I have wanted to build a logging arch for a long time now and here it is. It is not as nice as some of the other arches I have seen on this site but it works. I used a mobile home axle and chopped the middle out of it. The inside dimensions are 42" wide by around 54" high so it can handle a pretty big log. The only pictures I have of it are in action so they are not really detailed. The log I am hauling up is about 36" by 14' and I estimate it weighs about 5,700 LBS so not bad for breaking it in. The smaller log is about 2,000 lbs
View attachment 215099
The ground was really wet and I actually got stuck trying to back into the yard. I had to use the winch on the trailer to pull myself the first 20 feet because it was up hill and there was no grass. The log started in the back corner of the lot and since it is down hill from where my truck is I decided to pull the log up to where the trailer is instead of backing down the slight hill, loading on 8,000 lbs and getting stuck trying to get back out.

View attachment 215100
This is a shot of the trailer with the small log on it and pulling up the big log.

View attachment 215101
Here the logging arch is just getting up on the trailer. I made the arch so that I could pull it behind a truck or tractor or I could pull it with the winch. I had to add the extra strap you see on there or the arch would just pull out from the log

View attachment 215102
Here is another view with the tailer and the winch.

View attachment 215103
Finally both logs were up on the trailer and the trailer was locked in place. The logging arch worked wonderfully and I think it could have definitely handled a bigger log. I did get stuck trying to pull out of the yard though. I only had about 20 feet to go but it was too much weight. Fortunately the home owner pulled me out with his jeep. It was a little crazy but everything worked out.

I don't know what the brand is of the winch/cable puller. It is a beast though. weighs about a hundred pounds and pulls anything. It will pull more than the 12,000 lb warn winch I have on the trailer.

Nice log arch! Appears to work very well.

What is growing in the orchard in the background? I don't believe I have ever seen anything like that before. Many stems, with no central trunk.

Bob

Back