The Most Wonderful Problem (too much wood)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hupte

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I never thought I'd get to this point. but there is a tree service that drops off logs. (I always give them a few hundo's) and now I'm to the point that most of it will rot before I ever get a chance to burn it. but I just cant bring myself to tell them not to bring me anymore. I'd rather push it into a pile and burn it and tell them to bring me more, than loose my connection. its so easy when its delivered and It costs me less than putting fuel in my truck and saws and cutting myself. I prolly have 5-8 years worth of wood. post a pic if you almost have too much.

this is the latest load. i'm guessing its about 18-20 cords. its almost all oak. one log of black walnut, (likely going to a mill) one piece of hedge, 4-5 cherry logs, one cottonwood, one hackberry, the other 34 logs are oak.
DSCN0745_zpsipalivdt.jpg
DSCN0747_zps5vxpesz0.jpg
DSCN0746_zpsmttu9nlz.jpg

here is a pic of the logs in the wood lot
DSCN0748_zpscrovry3i.jpg

here is the left side of the woodlot
DSCN0749_zps9cnpztjk.jpg

I don't really have the desire or the time to sell. I mostly split by hand (just for the exercise) I don't think it would be worth the time to sell. firewood money is blood money. plus I'm just not a businessman. I'm a working man. I don't haggle over prices. Buy high, sell low thats always been my way of doing business. lol.

? with all that wood on hand and more for the asking ! I would say you need to do a little no a lot more thinking about selling wood! rounds, unsplit, halved or quarted people will buy and not much work on your end! it's rather a no brainer for your dilemma..... money in the bank, good as gold!

Me personally would rather buy whole logs. I can dictate the way everything turns out that way. It wouldn't take but a few guys with trucks and trailers to make that pile disappear quick. Best part of all of this you can do whatever you want it's yours though lol.

if I sell it, it will be for my cost. I'm that kind of guy.

What's your address? I'm moving next-door to you...Lol

I couldn't look at those whole logs just sitting there on my property. I'd have to dip my saws into them! Build a couple small wood racks to put out front by the road and sell it. Heck you could buy a new toy or two with that load!

I don't think you have to much wood yet. I can still see the top of your OWB in the one picture.

Wood p o r n filth! :crazy2:

Like others have said, I'd sell some, you could buck it and sell rounds (gets ya some trigger time) or even buck it and quarter it, heck, even sell logs if ya have a way to load 'em. Could probably get a decent price for a load of logs if you can deliver 'em for people

Have you thought about a mill? I guess if not much time to split, not much time to use mill.

Or like was said above, I would cut into 16" long rounds and sell in the round. At least saves the time splitting.....I'm guessing you have a skidloader or FEL to move logs around. Looks like they didn't stack themselves....heh......Put bucket on, load dump trailer and sell by the trailer load.

Heck even some firewood guys might buy in rounds.

I can understand not wanting to deal in money, I am like that, prefer hoss tradin. Why not process some up and use it for swap bait then? Proly up where you are worth around two bills per cord easy, so that's a ballpark for swapping.

A few saws and a Super Split would make those piles into a massive amount of splits in a short time. Hell pricing firewood semi-competitively, you could buy a S.S. and pay for it in a season just by processing and selling those piles. After that the S.S. would be pure profit. There's nothing wrong with earning profit by virtue of honest work.

Back