The Most Wonderful Problem (too much wood)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that's for rounds or split?

a truck load is a truck load. doesn't matter. And if you have a tractor and a fel, charge $25 for a loading fee. I'm sure you could sell those logs to a local sawmill but being you got a good start on a very good side business I think I would process them up and make me some xtra cash so you could buy more!

A cord of hard wood split green goes for $250 here. I'd love to have a clean supply of wood like that, sure beat dragging it out of the woods to supplement the bank account. Another option to look at, a lot of places have fuel banks sorta like food banks for people who can't afford firewood in the winter that rely on donated wood. Perhaps look into your community for a simaler program and perhaps organize a gtg to cut and split some of wood and donate to a reputable fuel bank program. The local salvation army here organizes the local one I usually like to donate a couple cords of I have it on hand.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

I don't really have the desire or the time to sell. I mostly split by hand (just for the exercise) I don't think it would be worth the time to sell. firewood money is blood money. plus I'm just not a businessman. I'm a working man. I don't haggle over prices. Buy high, sell low thats always been my way of doing business. lol.

This is my opinion on it as well.

We cut split and pile about 20 bush cord a year, for ourselves and family members. Add that atop daily work and the last thing I want to do is split wood for an average of 10 bucks an hour, spitter or not.

What I see when I see that pile of oak is a desire for a chainsaw mill to start slabbing the sh*t out of those logs...

Unless I'm missing something, there's no way that pile of logs is 18-20 cords. They are what, 20ish ft long? If I were guessing I would say in the area of 5-7 cords.

I never thought I'd get to this point. but there is a tree service that drops off logs. (I always give them a few hundo's) and now I'm to the point that most of it will rot before I ever get a chance to burn it. but I just cant bring myself to tell them not to bring me anymore. I'd rather push it into a pile and burn it and tell them to bring me more, than loose my connection. its so easy when its delivered and It costs me less than putting fuel in my truck and saws and cutting myself. I prolly have 5-8 years worth of wood. post a pic if you almost have too much.

this is the latest load. i'm guessing its about 18-20 cords. its almost all oak. one log of black walnut, (likely going to a mill) one piece of hedge, 4-5 cherry logs, one cottonwood, one hackberry, the other 34 logs are oak.
DSCN0745_zpsipalivdt.jpg
DSCN0747_zps5vxpesz0.jpg
DSCN0746_zpsmttu9nlz.jpg

here is a pic of the logs in the wood lot
DSCN0748_zpscrovry3i.jpg

here is the left side of the woodlot
DSCN0749_zps9cnpztjk.jpg

Unless I'm missing something, there's no way that pile of logs is 18-20 cords. They are what, 20ish ft long? If I were guessing I would say in the area of 5-7 cords.

I was assume he was talking in some face cord non-sense. Which multiplying your numbers by 3 gets 15-21 face cords...

I was assume he was talking in some face cord non-sense. Which multiplying your numbers by 3 gets 15-21 face cords...

Didn't even think of that. I deal with true/real/actual/not fake/128 cu ft cords everyday so that's what I'm used to... which I'd assume most everyone else is too?

Though I did have one customer a while back that ordered 6 cords. They came from I forget were but out there they call "face" (aka fake) cords a cord, so they were expecting 2 actual cords.
When I rolled in with 6 cords, about 30,000lbs of wood, they did :eek::eek:

A cord of hard wood split green goes for $250 here. I'd love to have a clean supply of wood like that, sure beat dragging it out of the woods to supplement the bank account. Another option to look at, a lot of places have fuel banks sorta like food banks for people who can't afford firewood in the winter that rely on donated wood. Perhaps look into your community for a simaler program and perhaps organize a gtg to cut and split some of wood and donate to a reputable fuel bank program. The local salvation army here organizes the local one I usually like to donate a couple cords of I have it on hand.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

More like $50-$80 a cord around here

I have turned down several loads this year( free) as I am some what out of room and frankly do not have time/ energy enough to process into splits ( already did ten cord ( 4x4x8) this year). I even gave a few cord away in the round. Right now it is too soft and muddy to move stuff around so I really can't do anything until it hardens up out.

Didn't even think of that. I deal with true/real/actual/not fake/128 cu ft cords everyday so that's what I'm used to..

full 4 x 4 x 8 cords is what I was referring to. I should have measured the pile. I just eyeballed it. so I just came back in the house after measuring the pile. I tried to measure it as close as i could, I didn't measure to the very outside of the bottom of the pile cause obviously that's not a square measurement. also I didn't measure to the very top of the pile either, or to the back side. but the numbers come out to 9'x15' x20' so those multiplied come out to 2700 cu ft. divided by 128= 21.09375 cords. the pictures really don't do the pile of logs justice. I should have parked the skid loader in front of the pile for size reference.

I have turned down several loads this year( free) as I am some what out of room and frankly do not have time/ energy enough to process into splits ( already did ten cord ( 4x4x8) this year). I even gave a few cord away in the round. Right now it is too soft and muddy to move stuff around so I really can't do anything until it hardens up out.
I know how you feel, I turned down several free, and/or "come get it" loads. the load in the pics I'm selling for my cost to a friend. who lives in a wooded lot. surrounded by as much wood all all sides as he wants to cut. its good for him cause its really the same cost as fuel would be... its too soft here to do anything right now. I cant wait to get back out and do some cutting. when the ground hardens up. :)

I know how you feel, I turned down several free, and/or "come get it" loads. the load in the pics I'm selling for my cost to a friend. who lives in a wooded lot. surrounded by as much wood all all sides as he wants to cut. its good for him cause its really the same cost as fuel would be... its too soft here to do anything right now. I cant wait to get back out and do some cutting. when the ground hardens up. :)

You can fell and block up and stack on the little branches right on site, then later when the ground is firmer go in and haul it out. Something to do. Access is hard in the mud, either huge wheeled equipment that leaves feet deep ruts or tracked, with really wide tracks. That works and doesn't rut out the ground bad but--insert jingle--- if you get stuck it's really teh suck...

I haven't read the whole thread as most responses agree to sell either processed or as logs.
I'd say sell as logs, buyers could cut them up to rounds themselves for easier handling.

I would love to have a tree service drop off basically free tree trunks at my place.
I'd process 2-3 years worth for myself and keep it at that level, and sell the rest either processed or not.

Another option is You host a GTG!
Enough guys with chainsaws and happy trigger fingers would reduce that pile to a few cookies and a lot of wood chips.
Burn the cookies and spread out the chips all over Your woodlot. ;)

I have to buy my firewood logs from the Croatian Forestry, thus I have always too little to keep my trigger finger happy! :chainsaw:
I also split wood by hand, with an axe - makes for a good workout.

I buy firewood logs delivered into my yard, a pile a year, 7 or 8 cubic meters:
2005 firewood6.JPG 2006-2 firewood1.JPG 2010 firewood2.JPG
2013 firewood1.JPG 2015 firewood2.JPG

Back