The Most Wonderful Problem (too much wood)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about a GTG with firewood lengths instead of cookies. To process it :) or see if members want testing and tuning logs.
Edit a 12-14T tip of logs typically costs 2-4 cartons for me($100-$220)

Good luck and have fun. (From down under)

I am in the same boat as the OP. I just can't bring myself to stop the wood train. It gets overwhelming at times, I just keep telling myself that the hard work has been done and how lucky I am not to have fell trees.

if I sell it, it will be for my cost. I'm that kind of guy.
(Banging my head on the wall)
OK Hupte, the tree guy is getting paid to take them down and I'm sure he is charging for disposal. Then he goes and dumps by you and gets paid again!! So he's driving away with a big smile [emoji1] and you are the one without the cash in his pocket and in a bind because you can't say "slow down"
Selling it in any form, just to reclaim a few bucks and pay it forward don't make you "that kind of guy"
You can sell it low and believe me the new buyer is grateful and you'll feel good knowing you hooked him up. Win win to me. [emoji269] [emoji269] [emoji269]

Lucky guy is right, I'm in NH, & I've tried to get log length delivered for past 2 years, no go. In 2 days, Sunday, I'll be going to my father-in-laws farm & fell my first tree. Well, I've fallen a few but nothing of size really. Helped a few tree guys I know over the years, dragging brush, running ropes, but anyway, my in-law has said I can take my firewood from his land, I burn about 4 to 5 cord, anyway, that pile makes me sad,

Lucky guy is right, I'm in NH, & I've tried to get log length delivered for past 2 years, no go. In 2 days, Sunday, I'll be going to my father-in-laws farm & fell my first tree. Well, I've fallen a few but nothing of size really. Helped a few tree guys I know over the years, dragging brush, running ropes, but anyway, my in-law has said I can take my firewood from his land, I burn about 4 to 5 cord, anyway, that pile makes me sad,

Count your blessings man, a free source to go cut from, you'll be fine. I know I am lucky here, cut as much as I want onsite, but man, I've had to hustle and scrounge before, even to the point of having to fell, drag in, buck split and stack in the dark dead of winter, wicked below zero out, barely staying a few days ahead, drying/seasoning on a rack over the stove! And cut back then with a bowsaw mostly. I've driven around and scored Christmas trees at the curb and burned those, cruised down urban alleys and scrounged skids, crates, busted furniture. It makes ya appreciate when ya got it easy!

And remember, pics or it didn't happen, let's see your first decent trees! Trophy shot is a trophy shot!

Count your blessings man, a free source to go cut from, you'll be fine. I know I am lucky here, cut as much as I want onsite, but man, I've had to hustle and scrounge before, even to the point of having to fell, drag in, buck split and stack in the dark dead of winter, wicked below zero out, barely staying a few days ahead, drying/seasoning on a rack over the stove! And cut back then with a bowsaw mostly. I've driven around and scored Christmas trees at the curb and burned those, cruised down urban alleys and scrounged skids, crates, busted furniture. It makes ya appreciate when ya got it easy!

And remember, pics or it didn't happen, let's see your first decent trees! Trophy shot is a trophy shot!
Holy crap!!!!

(Banging my head on the wall)
OK Hupte, the tree guy is getting paid to take them down and I'm sure he is charging for disposal. Then he goes and dumps by you and gets paid again!! So he's driving away with a big smile [emoji1] and you are the one without the cash in his pocket and in a bind because you can't say "slow down"
Selling it in any form, just to reclaim a few bucks and pay it forward don't make you "that kind of guy"
You can sell it low and believe me the new buyer is grateful and you'll feel good knowing you hooked him up. Win win to me. [emoji269] [emoji269] [emoji269]
sorry for making you bang your head against the wall. I got some good solutions on this thread. I'm leaning towards putting up an ad on CL for logs for sale pickup or delivery and/or rounds for sale. I just gotta figure out a good price for a cord of logs/rounds.

I am in the same boat as the OP. I just can't bring myself to stop the wood train. It gets overwhelming at times, I just keep telling myself that the hard work has been done and how lucky I am not to have fell trees.
ya!!! for sure!!! it is a blessing!!!

I also remember days almost like that. one small chainsaw. loading each piece into the truck by hand. then hoping I had enough for the next couple weeks. no splitter. those memories are what keep me so grateful for what I have now.

sorry for making you bang your head against the wall. I got some good solutions on this thread. I'm leaning towards putting up an ad on CL for logs for sale pickup or delivery and/or rounds for sale. I just gotta figure out a good price for a cord of logs/rounds.
If you want to clear out some rounds make it $50 cord for unsplit rounds

$50 a truck load. All you gotta do is stand by the cash box and laugh all the way to the bank...or the kubota store...or the Chevy store...ford place, the new dodge diesels are nice.

$50 a truck load. All you gotta do is stand by the cash box and laugh all the way to the bank...or the kubota store...or the Chevy store...ford place, the new dodge diesels are nice.
LOL!!! I like your style of thinking.

Is that's for rounds or split?

I never thought I'd get to this point. but there is a tree service that drops off logs. (I always give them a few hundo's) and now I'm to the point that most of it will rot before I ever get a chance to burn it. but I just cant bring myself to tell them not to bring me anymore. I'd rather push it into a pile and burn it and tell them to bring me more, than loose my connection. its so easy when its delivered and It costs me less than putting fuel in my truck and saws and cutting myself. I prolly have 5-8 years worth of wood. post a pic if you almost have too much.

this is the latest load. i'm guessing its about 18-20 cords. its almost all oak. one log of black walnut, (likely going to a mill) one piece of hedge, 4-5 cherry logs, one cottonwood, one hackberry, the other 34 logs are oak.
DSCN0745_zpsipalivdt.jpg
DSCN0747_zps5vxpesz0.jpg
DSCN0746_zpsmttu9nlz.jpg

here is a pic of the logs in the wood lot
DSCN0748_zpscrovry3i.jpg

here is the left side of the woodlot
DSCN0749_zps9cnpztjk.jpg
I wish I were closer, I'd gladly help you out and take some off your hands. Seriously there are lots of people that would love to help you split, stack, etc. whatever you need done just to get some wood to heat their homes and keep their families warm for the winter. If you don't want money barter for goods or labor, that way you don't have to turn down wood and lose your connection and you can help people who might otherwise go without. Win win situation all around.

Why don't you give some of it away, I'm sure you know someone who burns wood.
all the ppl I know who burn wood are totally stocked up. I think its largely due to the eab. there is the regular amount of wood that needs to be cut plus a ton of ash.

Right now around here firewood don't sell so good but come February there will be quite a few buyers and not much wood available, seems that way almost every year

Back