The MS261 is here!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

With The EPA and the EU cracking down, the engineers have to get their pencils sharp. In the future it will be harder to find the power that was left on the shop floor (CAD station) than it has been in the past. The real deal will be to compare the 261 against the 346's strat replacement. That will be apples to apples.

I've always tried to be very up front and honest, giving you guys both the good and the bad. Well...my first go around at the porting was a huge disappointment. I litterally only got a 2% gain:( At least it didn't go backwards, lol. I've got it back apart and am making some pretty radical changes. I'll be back soon:chainsawguy:

OOOOOOOOO OUCH, that's gona leave a mark!!

ON 2K's ego.

One cant argue the fact that a saw will gain a bunch during the break in process, no?

I have personally seen a 20psi gain in compression from new to "broke in".

Honestly, I've never experienced anything like that. Reguardless, the saw was equally broken in before the porting as it was afterwards. The porting did not wake it up, period. I can take a brand new 346XP out of the box, run it for a few seconds to make sure it starts, runs, and oils OK. I shut it off and tear it apart. When it goes back together it's turning 15,000+ RPMs, no breakin at all. And those RPMs are all across the powerband.

Honestly, I've never experienced anything like that. Reguardless, the saw was equally broken in before the porting as it was afterwards. The porting did not wake it up, period. I can take a brand new 346XP out of the box, run it for a few seconds to make sure it starts, runs, and oils OK. I shut it off and tear it apart. When it goes back together it's turning 15,000+ RPMs, no breakin at all. And those RPMs are all across the powerband.

Im up 15lbs on a new Meteor piston in my 044 from where it was when I first installed it. Was at 170psi, now at 185psi. The machining marks are just now becoming harder to see on the ring surface. They will gain comp as they break in. I have experienced it on several occasions.

However, I agree with you on the RPM's. They are what they are, but what matters is what they turn in the wood. Seems the 261 holds them good in the wood. This saw just made a spot on my short list. :cheers:

Don't get me wrong Jeremy, it's a strong, great running saw. I'm sure it would pull a 20" B&C just fine. But it plain and simply did not respond to the port work. That has nothing to do with break-in. No one's more disappointed than me. Where as many are more interested in the stock or MM comparison, I'm most interested in how they run ported.

Well, it is what it is. The last thing I tried was pulling this little divider out of the nose of the carb. There is no divider in the carb venturi.

1084343362_fvqRk-M.jpg

Unfortunately, it actually slowed the saw down. The idea was to get a little fuel into the strato ports.

NOW........................before all the Husky heads go and claim victory, we're still waiting on the stock and muffler modded 346 times. I think this 261 will beat it there. And I think that's what most actually care about. I'm hoping the 346 shows up tomorrow.

In the mean time, here's the best times with the ported 261. It's no slouch

Man Brad I was hoping for some real gains without the divider, ho well like you said she is what she is.

I do agree the 261 does seem to have more torque than the 346, but than again I thought the 261 would gain more when ported.:cheers:

Last edited:
Looks like a ported 346 is Stihl the king, the sickle heads are running for cover.:poke:

Back