The MS261 is here!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course I'm disappointed with the ported results. But I can't find fault with the saw. I can guarantee you that Stihl isn't building saws so that they will port well. This saw was built to be sold and run as is. It's an awesome saw right out of the box, 22% faster than the 026. And I suspect faster than a 346 NIB. We'll soon find out.

What does this mean to someone like me, a power junkie? It simply means my 346 is going no where. Honestly, I like the 261 better, but I just can't give up the ported power:) If I ran stock or MMd saws only, the 346 would be sold.

Of course I'm disappointed with the ported results. But I can't find fault with the saw. I can guarantee you that Stihl isn't building saws so that they will port well. This saw was built to be sold and run as is. It's an awesome saw right out of the box, 22% faster than the 026. And I suspect faster than a 346 NIB. We'll soon find out.

What does this mean to someone like me, a power junkie? It simply means my 346 is going no where. Honestly, I like the 261 better, but I just can't give up the ported power:) If I ran stock or MMd saws only, the 346 would be sold.

The dang power is just addictive.

I did find another 1000 RPMs in the saw, but I had to resort to measures I don't normally take. I advanced the ignition timing about 10*, by removing 1/2 the width of the key. I'm disappointed to see that the key is molded into the flywheel. Anyway, the saw will now turn 15,000 RPMs.

On another note, I'm very frustrated with this wood. This Oak is super inconsistent and I'm having a very hard time even duplicating results. From one cut to the next can be a significant difference in cut times. There are just too many knots in it. Today I can't even duplicate the cut times from last night.

With that in mind, here is a vid from today with the timing advanced, then a 8-pin rim installed, and then the timing retarded back to stock, leaving the 8-pin rim installed.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GVfzmqtL7t8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GVfzmqtL7t8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I was expecting $549, if not slightly more. I got the saw for $519 with a free 2nd chain. So that's actually about $495. I asked what list was, thinking they had discounted it, and they said that was list. I'm gald to see they didn't jack the price way up.

Oh the drama. Is this going to be the death knell for the ms261?? Stihl like to know what the msrp is going to be on that saw.

Here you go.

I was going to post a link to hooked-on-phonics, but I thought that might be a little over the top.

I did find another 1000 RPMs in the saw, but I had to resort to measures I don't normally take. I advanced the ignition timing about 10*, by removing 1/2 the width of the key. I'm disappointed to see that the key is molded into the flywheel. Anyway, the saw will now turn 15,000 RPMs.

On another note, I'm very frustrated with this wood. This Oak is super inconsistent and I'm having a very hard time even duplicating results. From one cut to the next can be a significant difference in cut times. There are just too many knots in it. Today I can't even duplicate the cut times from last night.

With that in mind, here is a vid from today with the timing advanced, then a 8-pin rim installed, and then the timing retarded back to stock, leaving the 8-pin rim installed.

>

With the 10* advancement where did you end up on timing??
In other NON saw 2 cycle applications going much past 28-30*s you just end up with more heat and more chance of detonation

Last edited:
With the 10* advancement where did you end up on timing??
In other NON saw 2 cycle applications going much past 28-30*s you just end up with more heat and more chance of detonation

I have no idea where the timing actually is. In the past, I've tuned the ignition timing by determining where it made the most RPMs. That's where it seemd to cut the best. If the engine speeds up, then I know it liked the timing. If it slows down, I know I went too far and it's fighting itself. I tuned the carb accordingly after the ignition change. I've had no problems with heat or detonation the few times I've done this.

Voiding warranties isn't a big deal. Making a saw more like it can be minus the EPA is a big deal, least to me.

Here you go.

I was going to post a link to hooked-on-phonics, but I thought that might be a little over the top.

That is stilh not the real MSRP on an ms261 from a real stihl dealer. Hooked on phonics is good but books on tape are better. They do have some great books poetry. Send not to know for whom the bell tolls… etc. You seem smart enough to figure out the rest. I do thank you for your efforts and I am stihl waiting on an answer to my glove query.

They'd probably laugh at us! Some Joe buys a brand new saw, tears it apart, voids his warranty, and thinks he can make it faster than they can:greenchainsaw:

And you did, by nearly 20 percent. Just not using the methods that have done well before. Nice to see the MM can deliver that increase in performance. :clap: :clap:

That is stilh not the real MSRP on an ms261 from a real stihl dealer. Hooked on phonics is good but books on tape are better. They do have some great books poetry. Send not to know for whom the bell tolls… etc. You seem smart enough to figure out the rest. I do thank you for your efforts and I am stihl waiting on an answer to my glove query.
Go to the StihlUSA site and you'll find the information your looking for.

Matt, I think you'll find this filter as good or better than the 7900 GD filter. That Willow I took down was dead, dry, and punky. Did you see the dust flying with the 440 and 066? Not a spec of dust got past this filter.

We'll have to see Brad if it holds up as well against the Dolmar HD filter :D
I can't see how it will be better but even if it's just as good then that is GOOD :cheers:
If it's better then I'd like to say "I'll eat my hat" but all I have left are polyester ones and they're hard to chew..

Latest posts

Back