The MS261 is here!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go to the StihlUSA site and you'll find the information your looking for.

You must be a stihl dealer that is stupid enough to actually think that I did not already try that option. All I get is pricing on the POS 260 for $519-529 and the aforementioned 261QC version at $649-669. So once again genius, what is the MSRP price on an ms261 with no stihl BS??

No I'm not a dealer.

I just went there before I sent my last message and it worked fine for me. Its not overly complicated. If you'd like step and step instructions please let me know and I can provide those.

I'll start you off...go HERE and follow the directions.

Last edited:
No I'm not a dealer.

I just went there before I sent my last message and it worked fine for me. Its not overly complicated. If you'd like step and step instructions please let me know and I can provide those.

I'll start you off...go HERE and follow the directions.

Fair enough and step by step instructions are not needed as they might not work in all areas. All I asked was what is the MSRP price of the standard ms261. So what is the msrp price dude??

Fair enough and step by step instructions are not needed as they might not work in all areas. All I asked was what is the MSRP price of the standard ms261. So what is the msrp price dude??

That just dumps you to local dealers for pricing and none around here have the 261 on their site. It would be hard to justify $600 OTD for a $50cc saw.

Type in zipcode 58102 (with the check products and reserve online checked) then hit the "Find Dealer" button. After it directs you to the next page click on "$" arrow button under Acme Tools and you should see the prices.

That is Midwest Stihl's distributor's MSRP. I have no idea if other stihl distributions have different prices.

My dealer just looked less than 30 min ago at his Stihl dealer on-line account.
He knows the 261's are coming in the future but when he tried to look up
the 261 it's like their is no such thing. His Rep. should be here Friday
and the plain is to try to get one released by my 50th birthday.
But am not holding my breath.

TT

Is it 67 links on the 16" bar? like the 260.

Am 99.9% sure it would, I do not think Stihl would mess with that at all.

Stihl has 3 diff bar mounts

one for the smaller saws 180 up to like 250

one for 260 up to 660

one for the big saw 880 and the older 075/076, 090 and a few others.

In each bar mount such as the 3003 mount for 260-660 the bars
and chains will interchange. So a bar and chain that fits 260 will fit any
saw up to 660. Only thing that may change the link count is drum and bar
tip sprocket.

TT

My dealer just looked less than 30 min ago at his Stihl dealer on-line account.
He knows the 261's are coming in the future but when he tried to look up
the 261 it's like their is no such thing. His Rep. should be here Friday
and the plain is to try to get one released by my 50th birthday.
But am not holding my breath.

TT

How about a gift card, in case it doesn't turn up soon enough in your area? :)

Am 99.9% sure it would, I do not think Stihl would mess with that at all.

Stihl has 3 diff bar mounts

one for the smaller saws 180 up to like 250

one for 260 up to 660

one for the big saw 880 and the older 075/076, 090 and a few others.

In each bar mount such as the 3003 mount for 260-660 the bars
and chains will interchange. So a bar and chain that fits 260 will fit any
saw up to 660. Only thing that may change the link count is drum and bar
tip sprocket.

TT

T T, thanks, I have alot of chains for the 260pro and was just wondering if I could switch em out on the 261 when I get one, so I dont have to buy different chains for the big bore 261....:)

If this doesn't excite the CAD in you, then I don't know what will! Any time a 50cc saw can pull a 20" B&C nearly buried in hardwood...!!! It is wearing the 7-pin rim again. It has no trouble at all with this setup.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HxMPgN_2Mvs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HxMPgN_2Mvs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

It balances perfectly with a laminated .325 B&C.

1085912563_9DEc7-M.jpg

If this doesn't excite the CAD in you, then I don't know what will! Any time a 50cc saw can pull a 20" B&C nearly buried in hardwood...!!! It is wearing the 7-pin rim again. It has no trouble at all with this setup.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HxMPgN_2Mvs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HxMPgN_2Mvs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

It balances perfectly with a laminated .325 B&C.

1085912563_9DEc7-M.jpg

OK, I'm sold. You are holding what's probably the perfect firewood saw setup. Drool has officially dripped onto my keyboard.

You are holding what's probably the perfect firewood saw setup.

That's what I'm thinking. Extra reach with the 20" for limbing, and plenty of power for bucking and felling. The more I run this saw, the more I like it. BTW, I checked compression again this morning on a completely cooled saw and it was an amazing 195 PSI!

Latest posts

Back