The MS261 is here!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a ported 346 is Stihl the king, the sickle heads are running for cover.:poke:

Hold on though.
Brad went for a working woods port, without going nuts using dental grinders and finger ports, and a host of other things that likely would add some torque and possibly allow an 8 pin.

He also is probably racking his brain thinking things over a bit further, and might just have a further inspiration.
First attempts are usually not as well understood as later attempts.

There HAS to be more in that thing.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

So, to sum up:

- the 346 has a slight weight advantage, not by much and no surprise.
- the 261 has heavily improved the a/v and filtration which was also expected since they managed it for the 441 and 362.
- it would surprise me if the 261 does not have a little power advantage stock, should be easily done with some tweaking before releasing the saw.
Anything else would be stupid from Stihl when they have the 346 available
as benchmark. Just as small advantage as the 346 has on the weight
to even it all out.
- that the non strato 346 will come out on top ported is also no surprise.
- Despite the lack of comparisons in the woods, the 346 _should_ handle better. I was tossing both saws around at my local dealer and if you look at both side by side, the 346 has a much more slim saw body.
- The 261 has the inboard clutch, good for chain and rim swapping.
Everyone to decide what they value the most, limbing performance or easy
change of rims/chain/bar.

It seems like picking out the best of the two is almost impossible.
346 for the modders and the 261 for the environmentalists? For everyone
else it's a draw.

Nice to see the Germans are getting a sense of humor! :hmm3grin2orange:

If I'm not mistaken one of the MS261 pictures at the start said "Made in the USA"?

I'm keen to see if one of these things and their new fancy filter will keep dead Redgum dust at bay :)

I doubt it...

Brad? Brad? Availablity please :D

If I'm not mistaken one of the MS261 pictures at the start said "Made in the USA"?

It still is a German design, and show every sign of that.... :)

Also, I guess that a lot of the parts come from Germany prior to assambly in the US, as with many other smaller models - nothing wrong with that.

Brad, you going to try a 8 pin? 6 seconds through that cant is impressive, even though it didn't respond well to porting. Again, looking forward to getting mine.:D

Also, I guess that a lot of the parts come from Germany prior to assambly in the US, as with many other smaller models - nothing wrong with that.

I would think it is made in the VA plant. Hope so anyway.:clap:

Yeah. The 070 and 066 that I'm importing from China are also of German Stihl design :D

It has been mentioned a few times in this very long thread that the MS261 is a "German Made" saw. That's not the case at all judging by the saw label at the start of this thread but does not detract from the saw at all - I WANT ONE!!!

I would think it is made in the VA plant. Hope so anyway.:clap:

The US sold ones sure are, to a degree, and the Oz sold ones will probably be as well, if they follow earlier practise. The rest of the world will probably get saws made in Germany, again if they follow earlier practise.

This doesn't really matter at all, as long as they use the same parts (which they didn't with all other models).

So far, I regard this as a non-issue! :)

The model has been sold in Germany and other parts of Europe for quite some time now.

I just wanted to take a second and say thank you to Brad for your efforts thus far! You have given us all a nice look into this saw!

Looking forward to seeing the 346 as well!

Thank you
Adam

I'm keen to see if one of these things and their new fancy filter will keep dead Redgum dust at bay :)

I doubt it...

Brad? Brad? Availablity please :D

Matt, I think you'll find this filter as good or better than the 7900 GD filter. That Willow I took down was dead, dry, and punky. Did you see the dust flying with the 440 and 066? Not a spec of dust got past this filter.

So, to sum up:

- the 346 has a slight weight advantage, not by much and no surprise.
- the 261 has heavily improved the a/v and filtration which was also expected since they managed it for the 441 and 362.
- it would surprise me if the 261 does not have a little power advantage stock, should be easily done with some tweaking before releasing the saw.
Anything else would be stupid from Stihl when they have the 346 available
as benchmark. Just as small advantage as the 346 has on the weight
to even it all out.
- that the non strato 346 will come out on top ported is also no surprise.
- Despite the lack of comparisons in the woods, the 346 _should_ handle better. I was tossing both saws around at my local dealer and if you look at both side by side, the 346 has a much more slim saw body.
- The 261 has the inboard clutch, good for chain and rim swapping.
Everyone to decide what they value the most, limbing performance or easy
change of rims/chain/bar.

It seems like picking out the best of the two is almost impossible.
346 for the modders and the 261 for the environmentalists? For everyone
else it's a draw.

Where is Peter.....and what have you done with him???...;)

I guess I didn't word that right. The improvments aren't just in WOT RPMS, but the increase in power is all across the powerband.

Gotcha... probably sleep deprivation from all that late-night cookie-cutting and porting... :D

I'm really enjoying this thread. Great photos and info. :cheers:

What was the size of the exhaust port you added on the 261?
I've looked back but can't seem to find where you mentioned it. Thanks!

Oh the drama. Is this going to be the death knell for the ms261?? Stihl like to know what the msrp is going to be on that saw.

Oh the drama. Is this going to be the death knell for the ms261?? Stihl like to know what the msrp is going to be on that saw.

No way!!! This is a super strong saw, right out of the box. Just because it hasn't responded to porting, doesn't make it not a great saw. More are interested in it stock and muffler modded anyway. That where this saw shines.

No way!!! This is a super strong saw, right out of the box. Just because it hasn't responded to porting, doesn't make it not a great saw. More are interested in it stock and muffler modded anyway. That where this saw shines.

:agree2:

I would say way less than 1% of saws are ever ported.

Like me I have well over 20 running saws and not one has been ported or BB'ed.

TT

Latest posts

Back