The MS261 is here!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I said, I don't know what you put in your graphs, but the 261 was decidedly 10-12% faster with the MM.

I told you what went into the graphs.

The video you posted in post 240 shows 4 cuts with the MS261.

That's where I got the numbers. From your video.

The average of the first 2 cuts is faster than the average of the second 2 cuts.

If the first 2 cuts are, as labeled, the stock 261, and the second 2 cuts are, as labeled, the muffler modded 261, then the average of what you showed has to be interpreted as a loss.

You could take the fastest of the 2 MM times, and compare it to the slowest of the stock times and show a 4% gain, but if you do the reverse, it shows an 8.5% increase using the stock muffler.

So...what I am saying is that you keep saying "10% increase", but what you showed was a loss.

When I posted the results, I expected you to tell me the videos are mixed up, or not representative, i.e., you have data from a lot of cuts.

In other words, I wasn't calling BS, I thought I was pointing out an anomaly.

It is quite possible I don't explain myself well, and that the fact that I was comparing the times from the videos on post 240 was unclear in all 3 of my attempts to explain it.

Your stubborn insistence that you have no idea where I got the numbers was OK once, but twice? It's starting to sound more like denial.

So do you use averages when you calculate your gains? If so, how many cuts do you average for each saw?

It's not denial, it's that I didn't even look at the graphs. I know that how the saw performed and what my findings were matched. Why don't you go buy a 261 and do your own testing? I'm tired of you crapping on my thread. I totally understand your point that there is significant variance in my findings. But I found out exactly what I wanted to find out, and believe most AS members appreciate seeing it.

Another problem with what you've done with the data is that not all cuts shown were for optimal cut times. Some of them were lugged down simply to show the torque of the saw. That makes your graphs completely unrepresentative of the actual results.

Another problem with what you've done with the data is that not all cuts shown were for optimal cut times. Some of them were lugged down simply to show the torque of the saw. That makes your graphs completely unrepresentative of the actual results.

Brad, I'm sure I speak for many when I say thank you for taking the time and effort to expose us to this very interesting new saw. It would appear that it can really push the envelope for a 50cc chainsaw.

This has been a long and sometimes winding thread. I've been thru it's entirety, but will admit that a definitive summary from the source (you) would be helpful. I'm not so much talking numbers, but more so subjective findings your hands have revealed. A few ideas (rehashed in many instances)

1. Stock
2. Modded muffler
3. Ported
4. "big carbed"
5. stratofied vs de-strated

These can be as compared to the benchmark yardstick 346, but don't necessarily need to be. I think we pretty much know we have a winner of a saw, but it never hurts to know more. Again, it's more your subjective feel I'm thinking would be beneficial here, as well as your take on effective mods.

1. Stock
2. Modded muffler
3. Ported
4. "big carbed"
5. stratofied vs de-strated

1. The strongest 50cc saw I've ever ran. Great torque and speed right out of the box.
2. MM made significant gains. WOT RPM was no higher, but added to the already impressive torque of the saw, allowing it to hold more RPMs in the wood.
3. The final porting made a big difference. Combined with advancing the ignition timing, speed is greatly improved. The saw does not become peaky in the least. It's still super torquey, all across the powerband.
4. Without a stopwatch, the big carb can not really be notice. However, it does make a significant difference in timed cuts. It's just not really felt when simply working the saw.
5. De-stratofying the saw was a must to get the power in the saw. I wouldn't waste my time porting one without this.
6. How does it compare to the 346? Chain speed is obviously very similiar, since cuts times are so close. But the 261 feels stronger. It's less peaky with more bottom end grunt. I have not had a 20" B&C on the 346 yet, but believe the 261 will start to walk away from it.

It's not denial, it's that I didn't even look at the graphs. I know that how the saw performed and what my findings were matched. Why don't you go buy a 261 and do your own testing? I'm tired of you crapping on my thread. I totally understand your point that there is significant variance in my findings. But I found out exactly what I wanted to find out, and believe most AS members appreciate seeing it.

The last line is pretty funny actually, but I can see you have lost your sense of humor.

At what point was I crapping on your thread? I have offered advice on how to perform such a comparison properly, and I have asked about how the data were collected and what data were used. I did so because the answers to those questions are critical in terms of how the data are interpreted.

I design experiments, analyze data, and review other peoples experimental design and analysis for a living. There's always a big difference between what you know and what you can show, and a lack of agreement between the 2 often is simply the result of a flaw in the experiment.

You bemoaned the fact that you couldn't even get repeatable numbers from the same saw because of inconsistencies in the cant. I suggested the means by which you could make valid comparisons under these circumstances. I do not view this as "crapping" on your thread any more than you posting that someone's saw sounds lean when they post a video of what they have done.

That makes your videos unrepresentative of the actual results. Fair enough. Maybe there's a lesson there.

The graphs that you didn't look at, but say aren't representative, actually agreed with your narrative once I realized I had to dump the 8-pin data. The only exception was the muffler mod on the 261.

If you are interested in learning how to improve your comparisons, and how to analyse the results, I'll be glad to help. I can't think of a good reason why someone would not want to improve their methodology.

Just realize that if you play the persecution card when someone asks for clarification of your results, it tends to raise suspicions rather than alleviate them. I have no problem with your interpretation of what you did, but I cannot understand your reluctance to address the data.

1. The strongest 50cc saw I've ever ran. Great torque and speed right out of the box.
2. MM made significant gains. WOT RPM was no higher, but added to the already impressive torque of the saw, allowing it to hold more RPMs in the wood.
3. The final porting made a big difference. Combined with advancing the ignition timing, speed is greatly improved. The saw does not become peaky in the least. It's still super torquey, all across the powerband.
4. Without a stopwatch, the big carb can not really be notice. However, it does make a significant difference in timed cuts. It's just not really felt when simply working the saw.
5. De-stratofying the saw was a must to get the power in the saw. I wouldn't waste my time porting one without this.
6. How does it compare to the 346? Chain speed is obviously very similiar, since cuts times are so close. But the 261 feels stronger. It's less peaky with more bottom end grunt. I have not had a 20" B&C on the 346 yet, but believe the 261 will start to walk away from it.

Thank you sir, you answered my request above and beyond. :cheers:

Edisto, I'm realize you're a very intelligent man, and have offered some good testing advice. I appreciate that. Reading your background, it's understandable that my "experimenting" methods, or lack there of, bother you. This is what you do, you know how to do it well, and it bugs you to see someone screw it up. I understand that, I really do. However, I don't have the time, wood, or ambition to do testing to the level you're talking about. I only set out to get a good idea how the saw would perform at different levels of modification and compare that to a 346. In my own mind, I satisfied that. From your vantage point, my finding are completely dismisable, because they don't stand up to the rigor of a well designed scientific and repeatable test. But they told me what I wanted to know.

You stated that my videos are unrepresentative of the actual results. The problem here is that I did not create the videos to be used as you did. Not only did I want to show the fastest cut times the saw was capable of, but I wanted to show how the saw ran under varying loads. Therefore you cannot use all cut times shown as the best cut times the saw is capable of. Again, they met my goals, but not yours as scientific test data.

Yes, I have lost my sense of humor. I understand your view point, but you have come across as simply trying to discredit everything I've shown here. While not perfect testing, I put a LOT of effert into this, and accomplished what I set out to do.

Thank you for your cordial reply. We're just on different pages here:cheers:

Last edited:
Thank you sir, you answered my request above and beyond. :cheers:

I don't mind answering specific questions, such as you posed, but I don't have the time or energy to go back through 75 pages of posts and re-state all my findings for convenience sake, as some have asked. I realize it's a lot to sort through, but it's all here, and I already posted it once. When you get into the middle of a big experiment like this, it starts to turn to work after a while. I'm out of energy on this one to go back and rewrite it all again. I'm not trying to be snippy, but saying it from my vantage point.

Edisto, I'm realize you're a very intelligent man, and have offered some good testing advice. I appreciate that. Reading your background, it's understandable that my "experimenting" methods, or lack there of, bother you. This is what you do, you know how to do it well, and it bugs you to see someone screw it up. I understand that, I really do.

Doesn't bother me, and I didn't say you screwed it up. Everyone operates under constraints, and those constraints do not necessarily mean that an experiment cannot be done. It just means the results have to be interpreted with care, and that one should be extremely cautious about throwing numbers around.

However, I don't have the time, wood, or ambition to do testing to the level you're talking about. I only set out to get a good idea how the saw would perform at different levels of modification and compare that to a 346. In my own mind, I satisfied that.

I think you misunderstood my recommendations. You do have the resources. One simple change will add a lot to the comparability of future results. Instead of making X number of cuts with saw 1 followed by X number of cuts with saw 2, make the same number of cuts, but alternate the saws. That should reduce the variation due to inconsistency of the cant.

Then, to make the comparison, you can compare the averages.

To compare pre- and post mod, where you cannot alternate the cuts, you would need more cuts because you cannot alternate. In this case, you might not have enough wood to do enough cuts, especially if the wood is inconsistent. The more inconsistent the wood is, the larger the number of cuts you would have to make with each saw.

From your vantage point, my finding are completely dismisable, because they don't stand up to the rigor of a well designed scientific and repeatable test. But they told me what I wanted to know.

I never said that your findings are dismissable...I'm just saying you cannot give them too much weight. You had a lot of variability in the cant, but even accounting for that, the 261 is faster in the cut. That's a reasonable conclusion. It is not, however, reasonable to say that it is X% faster/stronger/whatever. Does that make sense? Estimates are meaningless without quantification of the error of that estimate. Quantifying the error requires a larger sample size.

It's all about putting the findings in the right context. Even if you had a lot of replication and remarkably consistent wood, or even if you had used a dyno to show the difference, it still is one 346 vs 1 261. You put a lot of effort into getting a single data point, and now we have to wait and see what the trend will be as other data points come to light.

Thus far, of all the comparisons made, the 261 came out on top.

You stated that my videos are unrepresentative of the actual results. The problem here is that I did not create the videos to be used as you did. Not only did I want to show the fastest cut times the saw was capable of, but I wanted to show how the saw ran under varying loads. Therefore you cannot use all cut times shown as the best cut times the saw is capable of. Again, they met my goals, but not yours as scientific test data.

Actually, you stated the videos were not representative, I just reiterated it. Just remember, comparisons should not be based on the fastest times, but on the average of all times that reflect a certain set of conditions.

Yes, I have lost my sense of humor. I understand your view point, but you have come across as simply trying to discredit everything I've shown here. While not perfect testing, I put a LOT of effert into this, and accomplished what I set out to do.

It is quite possible that I came across this way, but I took pains to not come across this way. Might be a combination of my own social retardation, and your persecution complex. You get ragged on a lot, I understand that, but don't use it as an excuse to ignore criticisms that you could learn from.

Thank you for your cordial reply. We're just on different pages here:cheers:

There really is only one valid page, but no-one can force you to read it.

I never said that your findings are dismissable...I'm just saying you cannot give them too much weight. You had a lot of variability in the cant, but even accounting for that, the 261 is faster in the cut. That's a reasonable conclusion. It is not, however, reasonable to say that it is X% faster/stronger/whatever. Does that make sense? Estimates are meaningless without quantification of the error of that estimate. Quantifying the error requires a larger sample size.

I believe right there sums what you have issue with. I understand that. However, putting a percentage on it was the only means I know to put in context at all. Are the numbers exact? No way. But they are representative or how the saws perform and give a visually tangible way to understand the difference for those that don't have the opportunity to run the saws.

I believe right there sums what you have issue with. I understand that. However, putting a percentage on it was the only means I know to put in context at all. Are the numbers exact? No way. But they are representative or how the saws perform and give a visually tangible way to understand the difference for those that don't have the opportunity to run the saws.

Percentages can be misleading even with the best of data sets. I think it would be much more informative to report the average times and, if possible, the standard deviation or standard error of those means. If the latter 2 are too much work, then just report the range.

I don't mind answering specific questions, such as you posed, but I don't have the time or energy to go back through 75 pages of posts and re-state all my findings for convenience sake, as some have asked. I realize it's a lot to sort through, but it's all here, and I already posted it once. When you get into the middle of a big experiment like this, it starts to turn to work after a while. I'm out of energy on this one to go back and rewrite it all again. I'm not trying to be snippy, but saying it from my vantage point.

So, for a guy that wants to progressively mod/improve a 261 (which sounds as though it'd be wholly satisfying stock for most), what would be your recommended progression?

Edisto do you believe the 346 is a stronger saw than the 261? Would you be willing to buy a 261 and a 346 and do the proper tests for us? Its a lot of work that not many people on here are able or even willing to do......

Try timing a ported saw w/o the muffler mod. Is there enough power difference to make the noise worth it?

That would certainly be interesting. I have never port a saw without doing a muffler mod. To your point, my BIL is one guy that wants a stock muffler, but likes the power. So he'd rather keep his stock than ported. I should find out if the port work is worth the gains with using a stock muffler for him. Good idea. No doubt it will hurt performance, but the question is, how much.

Edisto do you believe the 346 is a stronger saw than the 261? Would you be willing to buy a 261 and a 346 and do the proper tests for us? Its a lot of work that not many people on here are able or even willing to do......

To that end, his end findings will be no different than mine. He'll simply have better data to support it. IMHO, it's simply not worth the effort for a chainsaw. That's all. There's a reason that there are only a very few others on AS is going to the trouble to make these kinds of tests. It take a lot of time and passion. There's a limit to that, even with me:)

Last edited:
To that end, his end findings will be no different than mine. He'll simply have better data to support it. IMHO, it's simply not worth the effort for a chainsaw. That's all.

I agree..... i guess my point is that no matter how "flawed" some people think your testing methods or data is the 261 is still the better saw. I am going to call Myth busters and see if the can test the myth that the 346 was dethroned.......

Latest posts

Back