The MS461.........A Peek Inside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting pics of inside ,kind of a big surprise in there,are standard port timing numbers going to work on this model ?

Nah!! You're all barking up the wrong tree.

That there widget is the antitheft/Lojak and EPA transceiver. I'ts gotta get switched on when a customer buys the saw or it wont run, and the NSA monitoring stations can locate the saw if it detects any tampering with settings that would alter emissions.

Quick wrap that thing in Tinfoil and send it to me, so I can properly dispose of it, before the black suburbans full of dudes in cheap black suits find you!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Well now that is interesting... thanks for taking the time Randy :msp_thumbup:

Nah!! You're all barking up the wrong tree.

That there widget is the antitheft/Lojak and EPA transceiver. I'ts gotta get switched on when a customer buys the saw or it wont run, and the NSA monitoring stations can locate the saw if it detects any tampering with settings that would alter emissions.

Quick wrap that thing in Tinfoil and send it to me, so I can properly dispose of it, before the black suburbans full of dudes in cheap black suits find you!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Ahhh... Come on now dinger, u know that ain't no husky...

But in all seriousness.... What in the H-E-Double Hockey Sticks is goin on in that saw??? :confused:

I think it's more than likely a stuffer too....probably needed it due to the loooooong and narrooooow transfer ports :laugh:. Stihl missed a good chance for some removable transfers covers here IMO.

Hard to tell exactly from the pictures, but it looks like the base of the cylinder would cover the ''flange'' bolts allowing them not to back out if they were ever to work loose.....which they probably wouldn't anyways. Them babys usually hold compared to Husky bolts!

That's an odd shape on the transfer intake, wonder if it really is meant to be shaped like that???? :msp_confused:

I'm sure glad thats not my 461:msp_scared: I'm hearing a lot of hmmmm whats that and is that what that's supposed to look like from some of the best builders ever:msp_biggrin: With brains like you guys you can probably make it run awsome the first try

matched to the crank case. so yes it meant to be shaped like that.
interesting? Hardly... for space constraints they installed the lower transfers on the front and rear instead of what you are used to on the sides of huskys. you;ve never messed with two stroke bikes have you? That is very common in older bikes. Same therory as the 372, just instead of coming up the case to the sides then into the cylinder, it is just a longer transfer (from the looks). I betcha it is torquier than a 372 also... mearly a guess though as I haven't ran one, but the transfers do not look weird at all to me.

I was thinking of the inconsistent shape between the left and right side, not that they are up front.....

Last edited:
Pass the pie....

220px-Pi_pie2.jpg

Skip the pie and and put some carbide in that saw already! We are watching you Randy.:msp_biggrin:

My first thought about that big hulk of metal inside the saw was that, some engineer had and "Afterthought".

Well Wiggs has convinced me to try it with and without. I think torque will suffer without it though....

Well Wiggs has convinced me to try it with and without. I think torque will suffer without it though....

I'm guessing that you'll lose RPMs too, as there'll be a drop in crankcase pressure, and therefore, velocity through the transfers. That's a mighty long transfer duct. Admittedly, I have no idea why they would do it that way.

Back