MS461 or 500i ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any opinions on a MS661 non mtronic carb version? Found one basically new, for $1000. It's couple hundred more then the 461 at $750. I also found a good deal on a clean MS660 for $800. But I could of sworn I heard some say they prefer the 660 over the 661? Why is that? Also I'm wondering, did the MS660 have the flippy caps? Or were they screw caps only? Thanks

Never ran a Genuine 066, but I hear they're Great and that one looks pretty clean.

But coming from someone who's had a few, I would say go with the Standard 661, has the most power & torque out of the 3.

They're like a Ferrari compared to the 461 & 066.

Mad3400

Why does everyone like the 500i? What makes it so special? I've never ran one. I just don't like the idea of the added electronics on a saw. Especially after I've read so many posts about people having issues with the solenoids going bad on various newer saws. Plus they're what, $100 a pop?
Dang good saw.

Any opinions on a MS661 non mtronic carb version? Found one basically new, for $1000. It's couple hundred more then the 461 at $750. I also found a good deal on a clean MS660 for $800. But I could of sworn I heard some say they prefer the 660 over the 661? Why is that? Also I'm wondering, did the MS660 have the flippy caps? Or were they screw caps only? Thanks
Could have, not could of.

I would carefully look that 066 over for a farmer tech tank/handle/cylinder etc and pull the muffler even if its a old guy claiming its lightly used. I'd get the 461 and have it ported and put the r oil pump on it.

Personally, if the choice was between the 461 and the 500i...I would buy the 500i every time.

If I already had a 461, I probably wouldn't sell it to buy a 500i unless the 461 was at the end of it's life anyway.

If I had the need for a saw that would wear a 36"+ bar all the time, I would buy a 660/661. I don't think the 500i likes the 36, but it will run it if you only need it occasionally. IMO, the 500i is the perfect medium/large tree felling/limbing/bucking saw with a 28" light bar. It's plenty light enough to carry around and run all day in that trim. Plenty of power for just about any tree you're going to go at with a 28" bar.

It's got an oem flag on it. It could of be an older gentleman who bought it for a project, used it once, and never used it again. I'm definitely getting those vibes from the guy.

Like I said look for the numbers or stihl logo. Should be on every part. Even the orange carb housing will have a stihl logo. You can buy stickers on eBay to slap on the brake flag and tank handle to make it look OEM. Just throwing caution out there. Seen enough people trying to pass a 50% OEM saw as all original while it has new plastics / stickers on it. If its a real OEM one in that shape I would buy it asap before I do. As long as its not a stupid price. Seen enough of those already. If he thinks its worth gold buy a 661..

Latest posts

Back