500i First Impression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have only one, not counting my son's 80 volt Kobalt electric. I generally just have one saw, replacing them as they wear out. My 500i replaced a MS441C. The 500i is light enough to do it all for me.
I still have more than 1, but my electric dewalt and the ms500 have become the main use saws for me over the last year+ since I got the 500.

My lighter gas saws sit mostly now because electric is so convenient for me. When I'm sawing all day I just grab the 500....

I have 3 and wish I only had 2. Seems like I am always looking for a reason to pick up the 3rd. Last year I hardly touched my 261, cause I was breaking in the 400 and the 500, and I was dealing with issues, that were more about learning how the saws worked. It will be interesting to see if I can fully use 3 saws or if only 2 are the comfortable number of saws for me. I don't understand most folks on here that have 100s of saws. You'd almost have to change saws after each cut to get around to using all of them in a single year.
Sounds like you need to cut more wood...not have less saws...damn, this "I only need X # of saws " stuff is depressing...

I'll be the oddball here and suggest a rear handle 200t

You should be using the lightest snappiest saw for brush and limb removal from trails.
Id also suggest a top quality hand operated pole saw. I have a hyabuchi or something like that that's the bomb
..don't listen to me though I got way too many saws for this discussion

I read it as you're keeping your 500 and adding a replacement for the 251. A 261 would be the best replacement for your 251 and with the 500 create arguably one of the best 2 saw set ups for almost all occasions. I did have a 261 with an 18" bar and an old 024 with a 16" but upgraded the 261 to a 400. The 400 is a fantastic saw, as was the 261, but there's a bit more daylight between the 400 and 024 now and each gets used for a different job. For info I've not used a 500 so can't say how much of a difference there is between that and a 400 so how many jobs would overlap I don't know but I find if they're too close together in power/weight you end up grabbing the lighter one each time!

I have only one, not counting my son's 80 volt Kobalt electric. I generally just have one saw, replacing them as they wear out. My 500i replaced a MS441C. The 500i is light enough to do it all for me.
you have better self control than 99.9999999% of the members on here LOL. My first saw was a MS 460.

I have 3 and wish I only had 2. Seems like I am always looking for a reason to pick up the 3rd. Last year I hardly touched my 261, cause I was breaking in the 400 and the 500, and I was dealing with issues, that were more about learning how the saws worked. It will be interesting to see if I can fully use 3 saws or if only 2 are the comfortable number of saws for me. I don't understand most folks on here that have 100s of saws. You'd almost have to change saws after each cut to get around to using all of them in a single year.
I have 4 boys, and they need at least 2-3 saws each.😁

I’m not monogomas, I have a dozen saws and most years they all get used one way or another. When I first got the 500i a couple years ago I went at everything with it. Big mistake, by the end of the season my arms and back were pouched. It was new technology and a blast to run. Since then I’ve gone back to using the proper saw for the situation. Big saws for big trees, smaller, lighter for limbing and smaller stuff.

Latest posts

Back