500i First Impression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillitStart

Reaction score
I finally had a chance to take the 500I out and get a little cutting done. I ran the 25 inch light bar with they yellow chain. I put about a gallon of fuel through it and I have to say this things nuts! I had a MS251 before this as my only saw and I never realized how anemic it was. I cut two largish 24 in diameter blown down oaks up and the 500i never balked. I spent a good portion of time just cutting cookies and getting a feel for it.

Finally a quick question, I now want to replace my 251 which has some issues and has been great for the ten or Dr years I have had it. Want a dedicated 18 to 20 inch saw, looking at the 261,362, and 400. Which would you lean towards and why? Keep in mind I only run a saw a few times a year, clearing hunting trails or cutting pine for outdoor burning.

I finally had a chance to take the 500I out and get a little cutting done. I ran the 25 inch light bar with they yellow chain. I put about a gallon of fuel through it and I have to say this things nuts! I had a MS251 before this as my only saw and I never realized how anemic it was. I cut two largish 24 in diameter blown down oaks up and the 500i never balked. I spent a good portion of time just cutting cookies and getting a feel for it.

Finally a quick question, I now want to replace my 251 which has some issues and has been great for the ten or Dr years I have had it. Want a dedicated 18 to 20 inch saw, looking at the 261,362, and 400. Which would you lean towards and why? Keep in mind I only run a saw a few times a year, clearing hunting trails or cutting pine for outdoor burning.

You mentioned oak and 20" is a lot of bar for a 261 buried in hardwood. If you're only getting 1 saw and you want to stay closer to that 500i feeling, then the 400 is the correct answer. It's a good all arounder that can handle what you're describing with plenty of power.

But the best possible answer is both a 261 and a 500i. Greatest 2 saw plan available today.

You mentioned oak and 20" is a lot of bar for a 261 buried in hardwood. If you're only getting 1 saw and you want to stay closer to that 500i feeling, then the 400 is the correct answer. It's a good all arounder that can handle what you're describing with plenty of power.

But the best possible answer is both a 261 and a 500i. Greatest 2 saw plan available today.
400 is the best saw for a dedicated 20 in bar not counting a 500 which cuts faster.

A different view - When i got my 500i, i got a 20" bar on it. In the mudroom i have a 660 with 28 & 32 inchers. Didn't need a 25. Turning 72 in May, the 500i is the best saw i've ever owned or used. Bought my first Homelite right out of 8th grade in '65.
Love the 500I its so light for the power and the throttle response is next to none.

A different view - When i got my 500i, i got a 20" bar on it. In the mudroom i have a 660 with 28 & 32 inchers. Didn't need a 25. Turning 72 in May, the 500i is the best saw i've ever owned or used. Bought my first Homelite right out of 8th grade in '65.

I love my 500i. It's a fantastic saw. But the OP said "261,362, and 400. Which would you lean towards and why?"

Of those three, in a 1 saw plan, the 400 is the best all around choice for the needs he described (20" bar buried in oak) in my experience. It's light enough for most people to use all day bucking and limbing, but powerful enough to fell most mature eastern hardwoods. If I only had one saw it wouldn't be my 500i. It would be a 400.

Also the 400 works itself into a great 3 saw plan for those of us with CAD. The 261/400/661 combo is a do-it-all chainsaw arsenal.

I’d get the 261 so the saws aren’t 12cc apart. May as well save some weight and $. Cut up to 12-14” with the 261 and the 500 is still light enough to cut 14”+. Slashing small stuff with a 60-70cc saw is a pain

Agreed the 261/500i is a fantastic 2 saw plan. Honestly it probably covers > 95% of what any east coast land owner needs.

But if the OP only wanted 1 saw out of the "261,362, and 400" you'd pick the 261?

Agreed the 261/500i is a fantastic 2 saw plan. Honestly it probably covers > 95% of what any east coast land owner needs.

But if the OP only wanted 1 saw out of the "261,362, and 400" you'd pick the 261?
No sir. If I could only have 1, it would be the 400

I have only one, not counting my son's 80 volt Kobalt electric. I generally just have one saw, replacing them as they wear out. My 500i replaced a MS441C. The 500i is light enough to do it all for me.
Only one saw sure must slow you down when it gets pinched in a big blow down.

Only one saw sure must slow you down when it gets pinched in a big blow down.
Not much. I have several bars and chains. I can take the saw body off and put on another bar. I also have my son's Kobalt with an 18" bar. I also have been able to wedge the saw free in most cases, and I have a loader that can lift about 3000#, which is usually enough to free the bar.

Not much. I have several bars and chains. I can take the saw body off and put on another bar. I also have my son's Kobalt with an 18" bar. I also have been able to wedge the saw free in most cases, and I have a loader that can lift about 3000#, which is usually enough to free the bar.

I have 3 and wish I only had 2. Seems like I am always looking for a reason to pick up the 3rd. Last year I hardly touched my 261, cause I was breaking in the 400 and the 500, and I was dealing with issues, that were more about learning how the saws worked. It will be interesting to see if I can fully use 3 saws or if only 2 are the comfortable number of saws for me. I don't understand most folks on here that have 100s of saws. You'd almost have to change saws after each cut to get around to using all of them in a single year.

Back