500i First Impression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have only one, not counting my son's 80 volt Kobalt electric. I generally just have one saw, replacing them as they wear out. My 500i replaced a MS441C. The 500i is light enough to do it all for me.
I still have more than 1, but my electric dewalt and the ms500 have become the main use saws for me over the last year+ since I got the 500.

My lighter gas saws sit mostly now because electric is so convenient for me. When I'm sawing all day I just grab the 500....

I have 3 and wish I only had 2. Seems like I am always looking for a reason to pick up the 3rd. Last year I hardly touched my 261, cause I was breaking in the 400 and the 500, and I was dealing with issues, that were more about learning how the saws worked. It will be interesting to see if I can fully use 3 saws or if only 2 are the comfortable number of saws for me. I don't understand most folks on here that have 100s of saws. You'd almost have to change saws after each cut to get around to using all of them in a single year.
Sounds like you need to cut more wood...not have less saws...damn, this "I only need X # of saws " stuff is depressing...

I'll be the oddball here and suggest a rear handle 200t

You should be using the lightest snappiest saw for brush and limb removal from trails.
Id also suggest a top quality hand operated pole saw. I have a hyabuchi or something like that that's the bomb
..don't listen to me though I got way too many saws for this discussion

I read it as you're keeping your 500 and adding a replacement for the 251. A 261 would be the best replacement for your 251 and with the 500 create arguably one of the best 2 saw set ups for almost all occasions. I did have a 261 with an 18" bar and an old 024 with a 16" but upgraded the 261 to a 400. The 400 is a fantastic saw, as was the 261, but there's a bit more daylight between the 400 and 024 now and each gets used for a different job. For info I've not used a 500 so can't say how much of a difference there is between that and a 400 so how many jobs would overlap I don't know but I find if they're too close together in power/weight you end up grabbing the lighter one each time!

I have only one, not counting my son's 80 volt Kobalt electric. I generally just have one saw, replacing them as they wear out. My 500i replaced a MS441C. The 500i is light enough to do it all for me.
you have better self control than 99.9999999% of the members on here LOL. My first saw was a MS 460.

I have 3 and wish I only had 2. Seems like I am always looking for a reason to pick up the 3rd. Last year I hardly touched my 261, cause I was breaking in the 400 and the 500, and I was dealing with issues, that were more about learning how the saws worked. It will be interesting to see if I can fully use 3 saws or if only 2 are the comfortable number of saws for me. I don't understand most folks on here that have 100s of saws. You'd almost have to change saws after each cut to get around to using all of them in a single year.
I have 4 boys, and they need at least 2-3 saws each.😁

I’m not monogomas, I have a dozen saws and most years they all get used one way or another. When I first got the 500i a couple years ago I went at everything with it. Big mistake, by the end of the season my arms and back were pouched. It was new technology and a blast to run. Since then I’ve gone back to using the proper saw for the situation. Big saws for big trees, smaller, lighter for limbing and smaller stuff.

Back