MS461 or 500i ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlotL1keVegas

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found a good deal an a really clean MS461, and a also good deal on a 500i. Not sure which one I should get. I have a 461, but it's torn apart in a box (that's the way I got it), and I don't really feel like rebuilding it. I like the 500i, but I don't really care for the electronics on it. For the extra 2.7cc's I can't really see the benefit. Which is making me lean towards the 461. What do you guys think, and recommend? Thanks

If you're not big on electronics and getting it used, I would go with the 461.

Mad3400

Found a good deal an a really clean MS461, and a also good deal on a 500i. Not sure which one I should get. I have a 461, but it's torn apart in a box (that's the way I got it), and I don't really feel like rebuilding it. I like the 500i, but I don't really care for the electronics on it. For the extra 2.7cc's I can't really see the benefit. Which is making me lean towards the 461. What do you guys think, and recommend? Thanks
Sell me the basket case "in a box" then buy both saws. Sell the one you don't like.
Problem solved 😌

Get both. Everyone needs a backup 😀

The Mastermind ported 461 was my go to saw for years. Then I got a 500…
Why does everyone like the 500i? What makes it so special? I've never ran one. I just don't like the idea of the added electronics on a saw. Especially after I've read so many posts about people having issues with the solenoids going bad on various newer saws. Plus they're what, $100 a pop?

Why does everyone like the 500i? What makes it so special? I've never ran one. I just don't like the idea of the added electronics on a saw. Especially after I've read so many posts about people having issues with the solenoids going bad on various newer saws. Plus they're what, $100 a pop?
Lighter, better trigger response (comparing stock to stock) can handle a 36" bar when needed but is best with a 24-28. Nice ergonomics

The fact it's Fuel Injected, has it's own body style and the "New kid on the Block".

The 500i is only one of the 4 saws that I purchased brand new and it's a Great saw, but I'm not gonna lie, I regret it.

It's got Great power for the weight just like the 261, but for my application, even with the Stiffer suspension it's a bit wobbly with a 36" bar, noticably lower torque than and consumes fuel at the same rate as a 661.

If you're running it with a 25-28" Bar it's Great, but anything bigger I'd go with a 661 for the Extra Torque and Stoutness.

It has been reliable for me, but eventually will break down and coming from someone who works on his own equipment (unless under warranty), I like things that I can repair in the field and parts that are easy to order.

As of right now, there are some critical parts only Stihl sells through a dealer and which is a big minus.

And where I'm at the 500i costs $1-200 more than a 661 and I figured out the hard way that it wasn't worth the extra cost.

Mad3400

I picked up a good running 500i for $850 as a right time, right place deal. I've also run and had 461's. The 500 is really nice, but a 461 is really not that far off. A bit heavier, a bit vibey-er, but if you have a 461 I wouldn't go running to grab a 500i. Build yours, toss a Maxflow kit and a dp muff on it and run the piss outta it.

Frankly, if you are young and in good shape the 661 is a better choice, IMO. The weight difference is minor to a guy in shape. My main saw for decades was my 066mag. It wore a 24" bar most of the time but easily pulled a 42 when needed.

After doing a full, split case, rebuild on one last year I discovered the 661 is really easy to work on 😆

I would love to get a 660/661, but it's hard to find a good used one. I'm from Western NY, and I generally have to travel somewhat far (to another state) to purchase a good used machine.
If you want a 660 I've got a running one I'd sell for $450 + the ride.

I ordered a 500i R with a 28" light bar last week. It's an upgrade to my 10+ year old 441C. Nothing wrong with my 441C but there were a few times that I could've (and should've) used a stronger saw.

I've been debating for years on what to upgrade to and the 500i is probably the best option (and still overkill) for what I normally do.

I ran the 441C stock and will run the 500i stock.

If you're not sold on the extra 2.7cc's on the 500i, stick with the 461. It's the practical choice.

If you don't like electronics you can order a 462 without the mtronics just a standard carb.

The fact it's Fuel Injected, has it's own body style and the "New kid on the Block".

The 500i is only one of the 4 saws that I purchased brand new and it's a Great saw, but I'm not gonna lie, I regret it.

It's got Great power for the weight just like the 261, but for my application, even with the Stiffer suspension it's a bit wobbly with a 36" bar, noticably lower torque than and consumes fuel at the same rate as a 661.

If you're running it with a 25-28" Bar it's Great, but anything bigger I'd go with a 661 for the Extra Torque and Stoutness.

It has been reliable for me, but eventually will break down and coming from someone who works on his own equipment (unless under warranty), I like things that I can repair in the field and parts that are easy to order.

As of right now, there are some critical parts only Stihl sells through a dealer and which is a big minus.

And where I'm at the 500i costs $1-200 more than a 661 and I figured out the hard way that it wasn't worth the extra cost.

Mad3400
Your problem is you, lol. If you need a 36” bar than you shouldn’t really be running a 500 anyway as that’s 661 territory. I run a 32” is hardwood with no issue!

I ordered a 500i R with a 28" light bar last week. It's an upgrade to my 10+ year old 441C. Nothing wrong with my 441C but there were a few times that I could've (and should've) used a stronger saw.

I've been debating for years on what to upgrade to and the 500i is probably the best option (and still overkill) for what I normally do.

I ran the 441C stock and will run the 500i stock.
I had a 441C and now replaced it with a 500i. The difference in performance was breathtaking to me. And the 500i is lighter.

Frankly, if you are young and in good shape the 661 is a better choice, IMO. The weight difference is minor to a guy in shape. My main saw for decades was my 066mag. It wore a 24" bar most of the time but easily pulled a 42 when needed.

After doing a full, split case, rebuild on one last year I discovered the 661 is really easy to work on 😆
Just wondering, are replacement parts readily available and reasonably priced for the 661?

Your problem is you, lol. If you need a 36” bar than you shouldn’t really be running a 500 anyway as that’s 661 territory. I run a 32” is hardwood with no issue!
I don't know, maybe, the 500i makes good power and there are guys running 42" bars with just bolt on upgrades and a lot more who regularly run with a 36".

I've ran mine through Fresh Pine to "Seasoned" Eucalyptus with a 36", and the only pro that I sorted out, that it was lighter.

Another to add is if my stock Pro Mac 850 will pull a 36" Bar, I'm going to have high standards for a 500i.

Mad3400

Latest posts

Back