The new 441 vs 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
republic rd. billerica mass.

pull into the parking lot right after the logpile.

we'll shut the gate after you get here and discuss a few things.
i'll be right in your backyard. your not gonna pull your pants down or anything after you shut the gate?????????????????????:dizzy:

gonna pull your pants down or anything after you shut the gate?????????????????????:dizzy:

Hmmm, I was just wondering what everyone thinks about the saws and we digress into a fight over who is the best tree workers the firewood cutters or the climbers and now we have one coming out of the closet.....

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback...and entertainment...I think I am going to shy away from the 441 and just go with another 460. I'd rather have the extra power for only a little extra.

BTW, I have several extra bars for my saws so I keep the cost of a new 460 down by buying it with a 16 inch bar. I'll take that new 16 and slap it on my 310 or 250 and put one of my long bars I have on the 460. It will probably end up with a 28 on her.

OD makes a great point I agree with.

A question asked on Commercial tree care and Climbing is for another climbers opinion.

why we get all this other traffic annoys me. doesn't mean that some of you don't know anything, just that your opinion isn't needed, or the question would have been asked on a different forum.

so beat it. half the climbers on here are full of #### too.:dizzy:

460's have more power and therefor cut better, swing on a rope with one (without the ground saving your ass so you can set it down) for a living and then your opinion matters. maybe.:buttkick:

Well my 2 cents is: any one who would throw out comments "bustin" on a fellow climber is an ignorant pile hanging from the dogs rump!

Look.....cutting firewood is cool..but any 14yr old boy can handle that task, to bust on a man riding crane cable to do tree work......well aint no 14yr old boy doing that!!!!

the 441 is a fine saw.....But if you are running saws all day commercially the 460 is the king in this weight class, now if money is the issue?? hey I understand, been there myself!!!

they`re both stihls & thats what matters....! but the 460 is like the little boy spraying down the chevy emblem on the rear of the ford truck window...that emblem is the 441!!

LXT..................

Well my 2 cents is: any one who would throw out comments "bustin" on a fellow climber is an ignorant pile hanging from the dogs rump!

Look.....cutting firewood is cool..but any 14yr old boy can handle that task, to bust on a man riding crane cable to do tree work......well aint no 14yr old boy doing that!!!!

the 441 is a fine saw.....But if you are running saws all day commercially the 460 is the king in this weight class, now if money is the issue?? hey I understand, been there myself!!!

they`re both stihls & thats what matters....! but the 460 is like the little boy spraying down the chevy emblem on the rear of the ford truck window...that emblem is the 441!!

LXT..................
better read the whole post,OD is the one w/chip on his/her shoulder.......

OK, so basically all the climbers are in agreement. Yes, if you have saw experience it matters and we appreciate it. But if you're not a climber, let us talk amongst ourselves here...

Y'all crack me up. The OP never said anything about using the saw in the air, he just asked about the saw. Then when someone WITH experience on saws in question says something, he gets called a bunch of names and told he can't play cause he's not a climber.

Guess none of my posts are worth anything in this forum either since I just own a tree service and don't actually climb.

I come to this site for information and have learned a great deal. I even read stuff that only pertains to climbers like what saddle to buy but don't offer advise on such subjects because, obviously, I have no experience in that subject.

To say that ONLY climbers are the ones allowed to chat on this forum is quite childish if you ask me. As long as the information given is relevant, I don't see what it matters who it comes from.

This is the Commercial Tree Care AND Climbing forum not just the Climbing forum.

Y'all crack me up. The OP never said anything about using the saw in the air, he just asked about the saw. Then when someone WITH experience on saws in question says something, he gets called a bunch of names and told he can't play cause he's not a climber.

Guess none of my posts are worth anything in this forum either since I just own a tree service and don't actually climb.

I come to this site for information and have learned a great deal. I even read stuff that only pertains to climbers like what saddle to buy but don't offer advise on such subjects because, obviously, I have no experience in that subject.

To say that ONLY climbers are the ones allowed to chat on this forum is quite childish if you ask me. As long as the information given is relevant, I don't see what it matters who it comes from.

This is the Commercial Tree Care AND Climbing forum not just the Climbing forum.

Right you are and I have appreciated a lot of advice you have given... But you run a commercial tree service, not a firewood operation.

Simple fact is, we have known Tree Squirrel for many a moon and know the info he was looking for and it wasn't groundman info...

actually you have ridden the teet of that blue ox of yours into some money and take on easy tree work while still riding that stump grinder around town.....

i wouldn't want to work for you unless it was for big money day rate because you actually don't really know you ass from your elbow regarding actual tree work.

that is your tree service. do you chip into that excursion of yours?

not knock'n you bud. stay safe.

actually you have ridden the teet of that blue ox of yours into some money and take on easy tree work while still riding that stump grinder around town.....

i wouldn't want to work for you unless it was for big money day rate because you actually don't really know you ass from your elbow regarding actual tree work.

that is your tree service. do you chip into that excursion of yours?

not knock'n you bud. stay safe.

If someone isn't up to your standards they are just a joke to you? Is that it?

I bought that stump grinder with MY money and MY credit. I work it everyday and fix it myself when needed. I have enough equipment to be competitive in the tree business in this area and make a living. I have a full crew including someone that has climbed for many years.

How do you know what I know about trees? I know plenty about trees. Probably don't know as much as you but I have surrounded myself with people that do.

I pay my own insurance, advertisement, do my own bidding, and expand my company with my hard earned dollars as much as possible.

Of course I don't chip into that Excursion. I do chip into my dump trailer that I made into a chip box. It's called making do with what you have until you can get something better.

Oh, since you are correcting people's grammar and spelling, the title to you thread should have been crane and me not crane and I.

Here's the thing, this is the CLIMBER forum. I know a lot of you have great knowledge of chainsaws, stump grinding and firewood. No one is questioning that. And I would not discourage anyone who is in the business from posting here. But it is kind of like me posting something in the chainsaw forum about rebuilding a saw or telling someone in the firewood forum how to run their splitter... I would be out of my element and if I said something that was clueless (and believe me it is glaringly clear how clueless some of you are when you post here) to the trade and expertise I would expect to get a little #### talk and maybe even get slammed a little. No different here.

Hey, post here whenever you feel froggy. But if you know not of what you speak don't get your feelings hurt when you get slammed...

EDIT: Hell, we slam each other here on a daily basis... We might get pissed but we don't let it hurt our feelings and we move on... Don't let it kill you if someone knocks a little bark off of you...

Last edited:
I agree with this post.

I liked the 044/440 much better than the 441 personally. A little less HP than the 460 but I was willing to give that up for a pound or two weight difference in the tree. And yes, I did own a 441. Wasn't crazy about it. I am running an 044 now and that is one of my all time favorite saws. I have owned about 6 of them in the past. Plenty of ass on the ground and still lighter than the 460 in the tree. When my 044 craps the bed I plan on having it rebuilt. Barring that, it will be a 460 for me. Why would I go with a 441 with the same weight as a 460 but less HP. That is if I can still buy a 460. I'm snatching up a 660 this year as well before I can no longer do so.

we had a 441 for a month.it was a gutless turd.maybe we got a lemon but I'm not taking another chance with that saw.044 was a great saw and I miss them.since they are no longer available,it's the 372xp or the MS460.

You probably own a Jeep too.

You just don't understand, FC. lol Neither do I.

attachment.php

i dont want to understand.I own several of those in the picture.best off road rig ever made.you SAS that yet?

No, that's a future project. Right now it's a good runner and a daily driver for me. When, and if, it starts rusting and getting a bit rougher round the edges I might start playing with it. You ever do a Hilux conversion on one of these? From what I read it's not too hard and a diesel would be badass.

if you are going to use a 71cc with a 20in bar the answer is the 372xp.

I've got two 372's with 20" bars now. I love those saws. I decided to keep the newer one for me, and let Juan take the older one for the ground.. sort of sad letting go. That saw must be all of eight years old now, and still runs just as good if not better than the new one.

When it get a little bigger up there I'll take up the 385 with the 24.. then onto the 395 with the 28. There is also a 356 with 16" bar kicking around (but I'm not really feeling the love for it).

Stihls are ok too I guess.. of course I have the two 200t's.

Back