The Newbs version of "Whadja do today?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The skin on the tip of the thumb is thicker than I thought

I recovered fatwood from some pine I had seasoning out. Managed to chop the tip of my thumb off with the axe. It felt more like a burn than a cut.

Lesson Learned: Don't chop the tip of your thumb off with an axe.

No pull ropes or wedges used??? They don't defy gravity on their own.

was his directed at me? i never defied gravity. i was trying to make it defy gravity but it didn't want to. no i didn't use any wedges or pull ropes. i was trying to see if i could get it to fall opposite the way it was leaning, just to see if i could. i failed

was his directed at me? i never defied gravity. i was trying to make it defy gravity but it didn't want to. no i didn't use any wedges or pull ropes. i was trying to see if i could get it to fall opposite the way it was leaning, just to see if i could. i failed

You shoulda used a pull rope.

How do you know what you can do unless you try to do it. This world would be in sad shape if we didn't have people that wonder if it can be done or how to do it. Or like my dad used to say "Anyone can do it with the right tools".

Greg

How do you know what you can do unless you try to do it. This world would be in sad shape if we didn't have people that wonder if it can be done or how to do it. Or like my dad used to say "Anyone can do it with the right tools".

Greg
Well i suppose when my life is potentially threatened with a few tons of tree falling who knows what way, ill use the right tools for the job. If you use a tractor to push it over and the point your pushing on is under the center of gravity of the tree, it can flip back and smash the tractor and operator. Sure the chances are slim, but they still exist. Stay safe.

Well i suppose when my life is potentially threatened with a few tons of tree falling who knows what way, ill use the right tools for the job. If you use a tractor to push it over and the point your pushing on is under the center of gravity of the tree, it can flip back and smash the tractor and operator. Sure the chances are slim, but they still exist. Stay safe.

i understand what you are saying. and i do not want to threaten myself or other or anyone's property. and i felt that this was a safe time and place to try what i did. i think it the future i will use the tools. or in this case just cut it in the direction it was already leaning.

if a tree is either back heavy or back leaning at all it will not go opposite with out persuasion period, good way to kill yourself! its one thing to try and wedge a tree over but to rely on the anti gravity properties of air is absurd

if a tree is either back heavy or back leaning at all it will not go opposite with out persuasion period, good way to kill yourself! its one thing to try and wedge a tree over but to rely on the anti gravity properties of air is absurd

+1

Regardless of how much or how little you know about felling trees, gravity will always work the same way it always has.

As such, if you persuade the tree to move opposite the lean or even 90 degrees to the lean, by means of a pull line or other, you can make it fall in any direction you want with a well placed notch and working hinge. It's only a matter of knowing how gravity works, and then employing workable methods that take advantage of gravity and it's unrelenting habit of pulling things downward towards the center of the planet!!

Smoker

Took another day to work on my big trailer smoker. I've got about 50% of work left working w my buddy. It looks 90% done but I know better. Some punk stole my last 55gal one so the new one is 250 gallon need to learn how to upload pics. B ready for family cookouts in the spring.:clap:

I went outside and launched snowballs about 100 yards with my bigshot in an attempt to get rid of some of the more than a foot of wet heavy snow that feel Thursday after 5 days and nights of torrential rain. Wet heavy snow that knocked out the power until this evening when it finally came back on.

Enjoyed a nice SUMMER day by the pool in 90+

Thanks smoke... I still don't get your boomerang thing. Aren't u just throwing the throw ball over a log then pulling it back quick so it bounces off the top of the log and back to you? What were u showing with the two throwballs over the log?

Back