the official arborist site work saw build off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I actually don't think there was about a handful of any kind of stock saw there!:rock::rock:

My 390XP is stock but my other two arent....

Did anyone run my saw? I'm looking for some feedback on what it needs. It's my first ever 371/372 build and the only other of the sort I've run is a Snelerized 372XPW so I don't have a valid baseline. I only got to run it once before sending it off but I thought it ran pretty well, big bar or small.

Your saw runs very, Very, well,,, I ran it for a couple of cuts,,, the only thing I would change is the muffler,,,, that top port burns the cr@p out of your fingers!!!!!

It is a haulin tha Mail Hoosky!!!!!! JMHO

Just sorry more of yas didnt make it,,, Met a bunch of neat folks... Mr. Galde is a neat fellow,,, and I forgot to mention his wife made a wicked bad German Chocolate Cake,,, Just ask Wendell!!!! I think He ate two more pieces than I did LOLOL!!!!

Last edited:
Terry, and everyone else that helped, thanks for hosting such a great event. It's a real shame I couldn't make it. How many ended up being there?

I'm really scratching my head on the results though. In the testing that I did here at home, my 372 was significantly faster than NMurphs. I'm talking like 20% faster. His saw was my standard port work, with nothing fancy at all. It had no popup, or carb work. I did that as a control for what I'm selling others, and to see where it stood. On the other hand, mine has a popup piston, bored out carb, ceramic coatings on the piston crown, combustion chamber, and exhaust port. It also has better than OEM bearings in it, but not ceramics. So these results seem really confusing. I do know mine was tuned leaner, and maybe that hurt it in the bigger wood. The wood I had here at home was quite a bit smaller. Is it possible that my two saws were mixed up?

Reguardless, this was an awesome event and I'd love to see it done again. How about a 346 buildoff next time?

Last edited:
Terry, and everyone else that helped, thanks for hosting such a great event. It's a real shame I couldn't make it. How many ended up being there?

I'm really scratching my head on the results though. In the testing that I did here at home, my 372 was significantly faster than NMurphs. I'm talking like 20% faster. His saw was my standard port work, with nothing fancy at all. It had no popup, or carb work. I did that as a control for what I'm selling others, and to see where it stood. On the other hand, mine has a popup piston, bored out carb, ceramic coatings on the piston crown, combustion chamber, and exhaust port. It also has better than OEM bearings in it, but not ceramics. So these results seem really confusing. I do know mine was tuned leaner, and maybe that hurt it in the bigger wood. The wood I had here at home was quite a bit smaller. Is it possible that my two saws were mixed up?

Reguardless, this was an awesome event and I'd love to see it done again. How about a 346 buildoff next time?

No the saws were not mixed up

HeadCount,,, 45 before lunch
Brad,,, The only thing I can see to have caused the difference is the variations in the wood,,, IE,,,,,
Burl/Knots/taper/size of the conditions were typical of what is cut on a daily basis,,,,

For example I was here a day early and I ran Terrys saw and my saw on a noncontest log with non contest chains and bars and His saw was 2 full seconds faster,,,,

You would not have made believe Mine would have been better today!!!

Luck of the draw on running order and wood conditions,,, I guess???:confused2:

Too bad you couldnt have been here to see it for yourself!!!

Last edited:

Brad,

It IS possible..........but they weren't!
I was watching your saw VERY carefully!

Mike

Hate that I missed it. But wouldve hated missing the 30 minute ride in 3-4' swells out on the lake when the T-storm rolled through this afternoon.

Great job everybody!:clap:

Id greatly appreciate everybody on my next 372 porting thread :) Id like to know what it takes to get the leading edge.

Hate that I missed it. But wouldve hated missing the 30 minute ride in 3-4' swells out on the lake when the T-storm rolled through this afternoon.

Great job everybody!:clap:

Id greatly appreciate everybody on my next 372 porting thread :) Id like to know what it takes to get the leading edge.

The basics are pretty standard but it was poignantly obvious today that the "leading edge" is elusive and changes considerably at times.

Mike

Great results, not a loser among the bunch. It looks like a bunch of the saws could win on any given day. Kudo's to Terry for hosting a ground breaking event, not everyone could host such an event.
Also kudo's to Simon for sending a saw after all the **** he's taken, it does look like he knows how to build a worksaw.lol Just the fact that not one saw was blown or toasted speaks volumes, that people actually built work saws vs. race saws.

You got the videos up yet? :cheers:

If I had the running order of the actual saws ran, then I would know which ones were which. Or just the numbers or screen names of the saws that didn't show up. I tried to kinda look and tell but the only difference are the red and black ones. ;)

Your saw runs very, Very, well,,, I ran it for a couple of cuts,,, the only thing I would change is the muffler,,,, that top port burns the cr@p out of your finger!!!!!

I know for sure you ran my saw now that you said that. The muffler is getting changed and so is the brake handle that has a gap between it and the top cover. I didn't enjoy the exhaust on my hand either but I didn't have time to change it.

The basics are pretty standard but it was poignantly obvious today that the "leading edge" is elusive and changes considerably at times.

Mike
Good point Mike. Its like Brad talking about his and Neals saw.
One a basic woods port, the other more of a modified work saw.
And the basic one was faster?

Also kudo's to Simon for sending a saw after all the **** he's taken, it does look like he knows how to build a worksaw.

The exact same can be said for Jasha.

god-haters-gonna-hate-eagle.jpg

Hey thanks fellas. Very happy to have been a part of it all, even if only in a small way. By all accounts it sounds like Terry is the King of the GTG's. Great host, well organized, lot's of fun. AS should be proud to have members like you guys. I have said it before and I will say it again. Cheers!.

Great results, not a loser among the bunch. It looks like a bunch of the saws could win on any given day. Kudo's to Terry for hosting a ground breaking event, not everyone could host such an event.
Also kudo's to Simon for sending a saw after all the **** he's taken, it does look like he knows how to build a worksaw.lol Just the fact that not one saw was blown or toasted speaks volumes, that people actually built work saws vs. race saws.

I could not have said it better myself. Congratulations to everyone that entered a saw in the contest. I have ran some of Terry's saws before. And seeing that all of them where running close in time to what his saws run tells me that there where some amazing saws in this event. I really wish my family and I could have made it to the event though. Just by knowing Terry the way I do I know everyone had to have an amazing time rain or shine. Terry is the kind of guy that can make anything turn out right when he wants to! Also congratulations to Simonizer for finishing where he did. Maybe everyone will lay off of him now about not having proof on how good of a saw he can build. The way I see it by building a saw that can run in the same area of time as the rest of these saws says a lot about a builders skills.

Sounds like a successful event. I'm glad to see a Slingerized saw came out on top. It just goes to show that west coast fallers aren't as thick-headed as they're made out to be. :)
Right/Left coast fallers or builders are pretty insignificant. The most important part is a bunch of fellow AS members were brought together at a great event hosted by very gracious hosts. I'm happy to hear everyone had a great time.

the ceramic coatings and better bearings will make 2/5ths of bugger all difference in a worksaw....Id bet there was more variation in the wood than what those mods would show.

boring the carb may or may not make a difference....but on a work saw...unless it is part of the whole engineering design and done with the balance of the engine it wont make a big difference... ########...well then you are looking for 100ths of a second. but considering the porting and use of these worksaws MHO is that those extra things dont add up.....what you do have is more emotional imput...thus feeling for a bigger result. tuning leaner for rpm may work for the perfect touch....but in whos hands and with what chain.....

Back