the official arborist site work saw build off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, you always have the option of saying race saw.

Now let's talk actresses. Do you know an alternate way of saying Angie ####inson?

Cant say it but a pic is doable.
936full-angie-

My 390XP is stock but my other two arent....

Your saw runs very, Very, well,,, I ran it for a couple of cuts,,, the only thing I would change is the muffler,,,, that top port burns the cr@p out of your finger!!!!!

It is a haulin tha Mail Hoosky!!!!!! JMHO

Just sorry more of yas didnt make it,,, Met a bunch of neat folks... Mr. Galde is a neat fellow,,,

He sure is, the man is a wealth of knowledge and is happy to share it.

I really hate that I missed this GTG. I'm going fishing off the NC coast today to ease my broken heart. lol

Terry and Anne do host a great GTG. No matter the winner it had to be an enjoyable event.

congradulations Slingr- you build a kickazz saw

all in all, sounds like the pety stuff was set aside early on and Terry created a fun event. Good going.
Nice to see so many willing to go head to head and interesting to see how close all came out. Good going guys.
Congrads on a great event and a great time.

seeing the result of how this went i can say my theory of you can only do so much to a work saw before it becomes a cookie cutter seems to hold true. or the saws would not have been so close together, there was not a run away victory ,its luck of the draw. the wood was not perfectly clear perfectly uniform symetrically sized lathe turned dry kiln butter wood. it was from the real worksaw world with the un uniformity that happens in hard woods. it was knotty with burls and bark. that is why we cut 5 different logs. dont think for one second that the results of this are the gospel. this was a work saw build cutting wood that was brought in from a real world logging job. to me the whole point of the build was that no matter who builds these saws, as long as they do good quality work,have a good repoor with the public they deal with, deliver in a timely manner and have a reasonable price it dont matter who builds it you can expect a good result.so in my opinion the haters out there that dont like this builder or that builder for what ever reason need to chill out. every dog has its day, build off day went to treeslinger. hats off here to jasha and his slingerized saw.:bowdown: ill get you next time :cheers:

Last edited:
I asked the question "So why was Treemonkey's saw liked so much? Was it a broad powerband that did everything well?" - and nobody answered the question.

Crikey, maybe a bit of inquiry might be illuminating. Perhaps he might divulge something simple like that he found a change in the pop-off pressure gave a better metering over a broader range.

You guys had access to all that hardware - and what, no technical discussions??

THANKS FOR HOSTING ANOTHER GREAT GTG Terry!

I had a great time and now wish I had not been so adamant about using a 266 piston in mine. I only got a few pics because I was too busy running saws. I have to agree that the treemonkey saw seemed the most impressive. It was a great time and too bad more people did not make it out. Here are some pics
img2226r.jpg

img2223t.jpg

img2216v.jpg

img2219k.jpg

A BIG THANKS to Terry and his family for hosting the GTG and providing us with ample amounts of great food and fun! I just wish that hosting these GTG's didn't mean so much out of pocket money for the host. Its not right. As far as the saws go, the top 10-12 saws are all "strong" saws that in real world cutting, you probably wouldnt' notice any difference if you didn't know who built that particular saw. I would take any of them in a heart beat. My hats off to all builders who took the time to build,ship, or deliver saws so that the rest of us could spend a afternoon playing with them. Great job guys.
As far as the "worksaw build off" goes, i think its a great idea and should continue each year as long as builders are willing. If not for the fact of seeing who can build fast saws, then for the fact of how it brought so many AS members together in the these threads and how more members might be willing to make a little longer drive to go to GTG's that they might not have been willing to attend if not for the build off.

I asked the question "So why was Treemonkey's saw liked so much? Was it a broad powerband that did everything well?" - and nobody answered the question.

Per mikes orders, i ran treemonkeys saw and was very impressed. I even put it down to run i think simons saw and then ran it again. I can't say for sure but it seemed to hold more RPM's in the cut. I didn't hear any technical discussion about any saws. I will say that i think treemonkeys saw was wearing a 20" bar after the comp. were most where using a 24", but i cannot swear to it. Anybody else remember running it?

tree monkeys saw was s trong saw from the pull of the trigger till you let off. it had work saw power across the board. not peaky and not low endy,just strong pulling all the way thru. i will say that the guy that was running the saws in the build off (j d) has a good feel for saws and he was asked by the folks standing there after the testing what saws he would pick from just having run them all and his pick was not the top 3 saws according to the times posted. he chose treemonkey's saw,eric copsey's saw,my saw, just according to what felt good to him. we all like different things and a stop watch cant determine what feels god to the operator.

Due to the fact there are more than one post in regards to this GTG. I don't know which one to post on.

I will bet when the comments about Tslinger's and Tree Monkey's saws come out the torque will be why everyone liked them. The amount of torque Tree monkey gets out of his saws is amazing. I have never had the pleasure to run or be around one of Tslingers only seen them on videos. I hope to change that soon.

I was planning on sending an 880 to Tslinger for porting if he has the time. I am sure after this the waiting list will be really long.

A BIG THANKS to Terry and his family for hosting the GTG and providing us with ample amounts of great food and fun! I just wish that hosting these GTG's didn't mean so much out of pocket money for the host. Its not right. As far as the saws go, the top 10-12 saws are all "strong" saws that in real world cutting, you probably wouldnt' notice any difference if you didn't know who built that particular saw. I would take any of them in a heart beat. My hats off to all builders who took the time to build,ship, or deliver saws so that the rest of us could spend a afternoon playing with them. Great job guys.
As far as the "worksaw build off" goes, i think its a great idea and should continue each year as long as builders are willing. If not for the fact of seeing who can build fast saws, then for the fact of how it brought so many AS members together in the these threads and how more members might be willing to make a little longer drive to go to GTG's that they might not have been willing to attend if not for the build off.

Well said.

Going down the list of times it was easy to see who had what....based on the time and the size of the wood.

Some of the saws was 2 seconds faster than the others in a 16'' log,,,, then the same saw was 2 seconds slower than the others in a 20'' log. I guess thats the way horsepower and torque work out :msp_confused:.

A BIG THANKS to Terry and his family for hosting the GTG and providing us with ample amounts of great food and fun! I just wish that hosting these GTG's didn't mean so much out of pocket money for the host. Its not right.

Easy fix, a donation bucket. I don't think anyone would mind dropping 10-20 bucks in the pot for a great time and good food.

I have really enjoyed these threads! Wish I could have been there!

Yeah terry throws a heck of a gtg. I just wonder when the next one is now.:msp_thumbup:

The slingr saw and treemonkey saw did have lots of torque. Slingr came out on top this time. Congratulations to him. I hope he joins in on the next one.

I think most did contribute to terry for the gtg. A hat was passed around after lunch.

Carl and Preston did a heck of a job changing bars and chains out and getting the next saw ready for Jd to run. I think only one saw ran out of gas.:laugh:

Easy fix, a donation bucket. I don't think anyone would mind dropping 10-20 bucks in the pot for a great time and good food.

Riverrat2 passed a hat, some even threw in twice, some threw in none. Terry still came out in the hole.

The treemonkey saw did end up with a 20" bar on it after the buildoff. I think that's what they had to throw on it.

Good to hear Terry recouped some. Seem to me with the high entertainment factor, the host shouldn't have to take a hit? All good fun though.

Riverrat2 passed a hat, some even threw in twice, some threw in none. Terry still came out in the hole.

I WOULD HOPE!! that those that had attended:

A: Paid ATLEAST their share of food cost AT A MINIMUM, Heck, what would you pay at a GOOD BBQ place??!??!
B: covered SOMETHING for the fuel used...
C: porta-potties ain't free! :(

I would THINK $30-40/per (besides the chain costs...) would be a minimum...

BUT, we all know it happens. Good on ya Terry for hostin a good time. I'm sure it was a blast...

SO... what did ya find during tear-down??? :D

J

Back