the official arborist site work saw build off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:msp_ohmy: I meant to get my hands on one of the 2 7900's there, and never did get too. Moparman had one as well,,, but between the rain showers and the buildoff, I forgot.

Ive never ran a 7900, but plan to!

I think you guys would be surprised how well they run compared to a good running ported 372. No they won't keep up, but for a stock saw they do really well, as they should with 79cc.

Per mikes orders, i ran treemonkeys saw and was very impressed. I even put it down to run i think simons saw and then ran it again. I can't say for sure but it seemed to hold more RPM's in the cut. I didn't hear any technical discussion about any saws. I will say that i think treemonkeys saw was wearing a 20" bar after the comp. were most where using a 24", but i cannot swear to it. Anybody else remember running it?

Just to clarify:

I didnt get to run the tree monkey saw after the competition but watched it during the event,,, It was very impressive ,,,

I forgot My 24" husky bar in TX so during the contest Terry supplied a bar for the simonized saw and the competition's standard issue 24" Stihl chain,,

after the contest was over All I had was a 28" & a 32" husky bar and a less than stellar skip chain (that I tried to hand file to no avail) for the 28" guide bar that I used during break in
Had I brought the right bar to run with the chain that placed 4th, ,or a sharp chain for the 28" bar , I think you might have noticed a difference in the way the Simon saw pulled,,,

Last edited:
What is amazing to me is that there is 2.575 seconds difference in the top 15 saws in this competetion in approx 100 inches of wood!!!

Think about that........less time than a good SNEEZE in the top 15 saws!

Anyone who wants to split hairs on that is just a #%$*.

I for one, would be darned proud to own any one of them!

Mike

Mike you will have one of your very own, mark my word.

the ceramic coatings and better bearings will make 2/5ths of bugger all difference in a worksaw....Id bet there was more variation in the wood than what those mods would show.

boring the carb may or may not make a difference....but on a work saw...unless it is part of the whole engineering design and done with the balance of the engine it wont make a big difference... ########...well then you are looking for 100ths of a second. but considering the porting and use of these worksaws MHO is that those extra things dont add up.....what you do have is more emotional imput...thus feeling for a bigger result. tuning leaner for rpm may work for the perfect touch....but in whos hands and with what chain.....

I agree with you entirely. At some point, it's just the makings of a hobby. I have no evidence to prove that ceramic coatings help. Some even debate the benefit of a popup. That case can be argued based on the results of this testing. NMurphs saw has a Meteor 372 piston with windows cut in it. The cylinder is case matched and the cylinder walls raised on the sides such that they're even with the base of the cylinder. Both the intake and exhaust are 70% of the bore in width. The rear transfers have been widened towards the intake. I wouldn't call it a "mild" port job, but it's nothing more than a woods port. It works.

also let me be the first to get this out there before others try to.

#1 i was robbed, cheated, the trophy was pulled from my fingers.
#2 my new chain wasnt as sharp as theres
#3 my new chain was too sharp and grabby
#4 the gas wasnt right
#5 jd pushed too hard on my saw
#6 jd didnt push hard enough on my saw
#7 the 1 inch of wood that my saw cut was the hardest and was like cutting a glass marble
#8 the change in weather affected my saw
#9 my saw was too rich
#10 my saw was too lean
# 11 there was bark on my inch of log
#12 there was dirt on my log
#13 my part of the log was the largest diameter
#14 there was a knot on my part
#15 there was a burl on my part

now that ive used up the top 15 reasons why i didnt win the rest of you will have to find another reason why you didnt.:angrysoapbox:

I think you guys would be surprised how well they run compared to a good running ported 372. No they won't keep up, but for a stock saw they do really well, as they should with 79cc.

Heck Yeah!!! I got to run Wendells 6401/7900 Dolkita and JD's Dolmar I think they were ported by Eric Copesy:rock:

I will be having one done by him!!!!!:rock:

The both Rocked!!! I think JD's was a bit more stout!!! Sorry Wendell!!!

and i will add that since paul left before lunch and didnt get to cook the steaks ,ive got your ribeye on the grill right now jasha if you want to come get it if not ill take care of it for you :ices_rofl:

also let me be the first to get this out there before others try to.

#1 i was robbed, cheated, the trophy was pulled from my fingers.
#2 my new chain wasnt as sharp as theres
#3 my new chain was too sharp and grabby
#4 the gas wasnt right
#5 jd pushed too hard on my saw
#6 jd didnt push hard enough on my saw
#7 the 1 inch of wood that my saw cut was the hardest and was like cutting a glass marble
#8 the change in weather affected my saw
#9 my saw was too rich
#10 my saw was too lean
# 11 there was bark on my inch of log
#12 there was dirt on my log
#13 my part of the log was the largest diameter
#14 there was a knot on my part
#15 there was a burl on my part

now that ive used up the top 15 reasons why i didnt win the rest of you will have to find another reason why you didnt.:angrysoapbox:

:yourock:

if there was a bad cut it was redone so rest assured jd done the best with each saw that it could do. this is not a science and i wont be posting further data for you guys to scrutinize. youll be seeing video,you have the results, it was broadcast live so i feel that no more investigation is needed. there were 3 people timing the cuts and when timing they were within tenths of a second of each other if not exactly the same. two of the timers were neutral party and the third is well vested in knowledge of how it is suppose to be done and has more experience than the rest of us combined. the totals were done by other neutral parties then rechecked by myself befor eposting the final data. it took 15 recorded times to get the average i have posted. for gods sake lets not take the fun out of it. :welcome:

Even with bad cuts, averages based on 15 times would provide a very solid comparison, and it seems like you guys exercised more than due diligence with the times.

I hope my asking for the numbers was not misconstrued as an attempt to scrutinize the results. I just thought it would be interesting to see the relative performances in the different sized logs...sort of a proxy to looking at the power bands.

Sounds like you put together a great weekend for those that could make it, and thanks for the effort that went into putting together a solid build-off!

Cowroy, thanks for all the vids.

One thing is obvious here. Any of the top tier saws could win on any given day. That's just the nature of wood and the operation of a chainsaw. It's not cut and dried like so many want it to be. For example, I know that the #10 saw is significantly stronger/faster than the #5 saw. Watch the vids and you can hear that #10 is holding way more RPMs in the cut. I'm not complaining here, just making my point. That's just how saw testing goes. Been there done that. My hat's off to Terry for a valiant effort of completely unbiased saw testing. This was not an easy assignment, and I for one, really enjoyed it. I'm all in favor of doing this again.

:agree2: It's just the nature of testing to have error induced by the test procedure. But I think Terry and all who helped did a wonderful job of eliminating as much error as possible without the arborist equivalent of ballistics gel.

With that said I would like to see all the times in the different woods sizes to see if mine did better in small or larger wood? Did I go for too much RPM and kill torque or is it going to be a monster with a larger bar? Really I'm happy with how I finished, besides... it was my first 371/372 build.

I wasn't going to ask, don't want to sound pushy, but curosity has gotten the best of me, any vids of my 2171 that Terry built?

I am sorry but no :bang: I was jawin instead of doin my job and missed it cause it was the first saw ran and I thought GT was still warmin up his skills. I thought I got it in some square wood but it was wendell :taped::msp_sad: I learned a lot about videoing sawpecks but the main thing is camera ready or not, I'm cuttin :)

I know everybody probably wants to see there numbers, but were talking about posting 345 numbers. :msp_cursing:

A message from Treesling'r who just text me asking me to post this from him ..Hes in AZ fighting fires at this time ..

Honored to have finished where I did and that the results could be different on any given day. Thank you Terry for your organization , hospitality and efforts ..

Jasha
Text 530-598-8093

Just sent a few minutes ago from him....:rock::rock:

Oh and I have a lot more of vids of the buildoff and a lot of misc. saws and I am gonna put em all on youtube, but your gonna have to subscribe to my youtube page to see em cause it is just to many steps to post them all here. If you see yourself and your saw just message me and I will be glad to put your name and the saw size make model whatever in the description ;)

Square wood? Any results from that?

the rain kinda messed up square wood racing, eric exibitioned a few wicked fast saws and i had the gracious opertunity to run a few of them and i will say this with 1000% certainty eric can build a race saw like no bodys bussiness. i ran ginks little 50cc saw and it was a friggin rocket. i guess my 460 was an joke compared to there saws. but i let any one that wanted to you my 460 take it for a whirl after the rain had stopped. but we didnt get to do any racing.

Back