The Old Giants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, I just had a 125 in that condition myself. It is back together now with a new piston. I am trying to track down an intake boot for it now. Once that is in then we'll see how it stacks up against my super797. Good luck on a worthy project.

Wow, superb. Just sat here for a couple of hours and done the whole thread. Some beautiful saws.
Went fishing the other night and the subject got onto saws, and my mate said he had just cleared a load of homelites out of a barn on his farm and chucked them in a skip. Reconned there were four or five, coloured blue. I`m guessing super xl`s. Might get one or two good ones out of the parts.Said he would ring me when he had retrieved them and i could collect the lot.:)
Must admit, i`m getting a bit excited.:clap:

I have found that you can make a Stihl 084 intake boot work on the McCulloch SP125. I really enjoy the 125, but I would think you could get more power out of a 797 since it is a better ported engine.

Old enough for ya? That's my dad in the middle and his mate Charlie, taken in 1958?

Anyone know what make of saw that would be?

attachment.php

After having a quick browse through my copy of "Chainsaws: A History", it looks similar, but not identical, to a picture of the Teles Smith saws pictured on p. 60-61 and 209. It also bears some resemblance to some old Danarms, but since Teles Smith made saws for the British Army, the chances of them ending up in Australia would be much higher, I would think.

Most of the old 2-mans I've seen like that had fuel tanks set 90° to the bar, so that narrows the field down significantly.

I wanted to look up those saws on Acres' site, but it seems to be down. Hopefully not a victim of all the flooding down Vancouver way. For what it's worth, I couldn't really find any information at all on those Teles Smith saws, and to be honest I'd never heard of them before I read that book.

I added some american muscle to my collection last week ::

a very mint CP125S with 30"bar, Walbro SDC carb and adjustable jets...a perfect runner. Decomp is an absolute must...

muscleasmall.jpg

cp125shsmall.jpg

cp125scsmall.jpg

The other is a like new 795L with 24" bar. It has a Mac carb that's giving me fits though. It will start very easy with some fresh fuel poured in the carb but the carb is not pumping. I noticed some corrosion pits on the fuel valve seats so this could be the problem...:censored:

795Ldsmall.jpg

795Lesmall.jpg

For the all Mac fans that hated cranking one is the good ole days, read the print, LOLOL. This one starts real easy indeed.

795Ldecomp.jpg

Roland,

You keep finding saws like those and I may stop being so nice to you. My 795 is a right hand start and didn't start out looking as nice as yours.

attachment.php

attachment.php

It does run now but the carburetor is not perfect, also the McCulloch "flat back". When the primers work and the fuel pump flappers seal, they are in fact easy to start. Happens at least once or twice a year for one out of 10 saws.

I can get the diaphragms for the McCulloch carburetors from Bob Johnson but they are pretty expensive, $30 for the set with gaskets. Not exactly like the originals but they can be made to work.

If you want, I can send a set along with the 3 bearings, for a price.

Have a look at my McCulloch 840 thread for another good old saw, only 99cc and a gear drive but it runs.

Mark

Last edited:
All 795's should be right hand start. It looks like someone swapped the starter and clutch cover from a 250. It id definately prettier than mine. That is also the nicest non restored 125 mac I have ever seen and I have three.

I have a copy of an IPL for a 795L, dated December 1970.

That is the only one of the (normally) right hand start big old saws that I have seen with an IPL describing as left hand. There are many left hand start versions of the 10 Series saws.

I do have a left hand start 1-62 but it had obviously been done at home by someone.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

Thanks for the fine comments, folks.

I gots to admit that the CP125S is in a rare and beautiful shape. I bet it's still the original sprocket, bar and chain. It's barely used and runs like a champ.

Some Mac fans may know that Mc Culloch had a distribution plant in Belgium (city of Mechelen) untill they went out of business. The saws were manufactered in the States, but the label mentioned the Mc Address in Belgium, and these saws were distributed in europe and the middle East. I have several Macs with that "belgian" reference. The 795L is a "belgian" one too, hint, hint

795Lcover.jpg

I believe the left hand starter on the 795 was the stepping stone to the cp125. You have some nice looking saws. You made a good find.

Group 1106 &1109

Nice catches there Lee.

Excuse the flash photo ...just in from work !
Here's 2 x 070's ....recent ebays
1 x contra lightning..........last year
1 X contra lightning GS.....recent from out the back of Stihl shop
1 x 090...... nearly finished resto...needs a throttle spring
:cheers:

attachment.php

Nice catches there Lee.

Excuse the flash photo ...just in from work !
Here's 2 x 070's ....recent ebays
1 x contra lightning..........last year
1 X contra lightning GS.....recent from out the back of Stihl shop
1 x 090...... nearly finished resto...needs a throttle spring
:cheers:

attachment.php

Hey Graeme...

Nice looking family of brothers you have there. All working?

...Carl

Latest posts

Back