The Rarest of the 6 cube P series Pioneers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is what I thought but the "Hi Performance" decal I have heard was to indicate a BP model, and yes, I didn't think the BP came out until a couple of years after the buyout. Just trying to verify conflicting stories and you are the man on these, sorta a walking encyclopedia.......

Busmech may know for sure, but from the info I've gathered.... the "Hi Performance" came out when Pioneer merged with Partner. The "High Performance" basically was supposed to replace the Pioneer "Western" style saw which meant a full wrap, rear exit exhaust (which became standard on all eventually) large dual spikes, a larger bore carb, and in some cases a foam filter element. But eventually the HP decal just became pretty standard on all the P/P saws. Like the P42HP for instance, I have one that has the 3rd transfer, and one without, both are labeled HP.

Thanks for that Ed. I have a nice P40 which I do not want to scavenge but that series is relatively common here. I got this old P62 out of Tasmanina (which seems to be the home of big saws) and it is a little rough externally. The good news is it has not been used professionally and is still a really good goer. In fact you have to be on your toes starting it even using the decomp. It has a 28" Windsor bar and I put a new Oregon .404' chain on it today. It was so darn hot in my workshop that I could hardly work. If you look at the thermometer on the wall it is showiing 43 degrees C (about 112 degrees F) and that is at 6.15 pm!
DSC00331_zps1c258dc3.jpg

There are lots of things wrong with the saw but I have ordered a muffler already and will chase down the other stuff as I go. It is not nearly as pretty as your P65 Ed but it will be a good addition to my collection. I am really a Poulan and Partner guy but this saw has Partner on the side so qualifies.

DSC00333_zps5ba15ab2.jpg

DSC00332_zps0d94b8d5.jpg

I cannot believe how strongly it runs. It is destined to cut some big ironbark in the next day or so as a neighbor has a tree down. I'm going to try it out against Nick's Masterminded 395 and a couple of 066's from Randy and Jeremey. There will also be some big Partners and Poulans and even the Jred 1020 may get a run. Course the weather has to cool down a little first!

DSC00334_zpsca904e8c.jpg

DSC00335_zpsb1244837.jpg

Hope I have not hijacked your P65 thread.

Al.

Ed, Thats a great addition to your collection. Glad you found the
elusive P series. I have all of them as well except for a couple
western models.
If memory serves me correctly, I believe my P65 has the boost
port. It also has the same tag as yours. I will post a couple pic's
later today.

Lee

It's been a long day....

Nice P62 Al. What parts do you need for it besides the lower frame? What style muffler did you order?

Lee, sweet P65. :msp_thumbsup:

Ed, if you didn't notice I am in Oz - long way down.:laugh:
The saw needs a top and bottom frame, the button on the manual oiler and a brake band. All else is good. I have ordered a muffler cover from a PP655 (which I hope fits) and a decal.
The cluch cover is not entire but will suffice for my use.I took another look inside today and I have to say they are a very simple saw. Nicely laid out and compact - the designers were really thinking. I actually pulled out my P40 to compare it and the 6 cube saw is not much bigger. I am beginning to see why they were so popular with the loggers.

Al.

I can't even read your threads anymore Ed.

They make me weep. :bowdown:

Ed, if you didn't notice I am in Oz - long way down.:laugh:
The saw needs a top and bottom frame, the button on the manual oiler and a brake band. All else is good. I have ordered a muffler cover from a PP655 (which I hope fits) and a decal.
The cluch cover is not entire but will suffice for my use.I took another look inside today and I have to say they are a very simple saw. Nicely laid out and compact - the designers were really thinking. I actually pulled out my P40 to compare it and the 6 cube saw is not much bigger. I am beginning to see why they were so popular with the loggers.

Al.

I know where your from.....I've sent many parts to OZ.
Let me see how much the parts will weigh. If I remember... if it's under 4lbs it's not too bad.
I've never saw that style c/c on a P62. One of my P61's has that. From what I understand, the cage over the muffler was required for cutting with larger saws in certain parts of Canada. The muffler for that cover points forward. The one you ordered for a 655 will exit out the rear. These I like the best. If you can cancel your order, I can send you the complete rear exit muffler and other things needed... except for the oil button. I only have a couple left.

Poulan Pro 655 and 655 BP

1-22-2013 Sacramento Craigslist 1) Pro 655 and a 655 BP for sale in different adds. They are asking a ton but thought I would put it out there. One is under " poulan 655 bp" and the other is under "polen pro"

Last edited:
Shhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Some us near there are attempting to scrape up the coin before somebody from out of state snags them . .........or poisons any shot we'd have at negotiating with the seller (if they don't want to ship) by filling their head with dreams of big money for their "valuable collectors saw". Yes it has happened before...

Heres mine my P655 BP

KGrHqMOKpYE3uPKUN7kBOE61kkeQ0_12.jpg

KGrHqEOKicE31fQ1Fl9BOE61zktSQ0_12.jpg

KGrHqYOKjIE3vOtgC9BOE61ps2jw0_12.jpg

This is boost ported much to my delight and i have removed the muffleer to check.

A rather rare saw out here in Australia

Last edited:
Shhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Some us near there are attempting to scrape up the coin before somebody from out of state snags them . .........or poisons any shot we'd have at negotiating with the seller (if they don't want to ship) by filling their head with dreams of big money for their "valuable collectors saw". Yes it has happened before...

Aaron. I really want a BP. I'm sure you do too. Just sayin.

Back