The Rarest of the 6 cube P series Pioneers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one has an outrageous price on it, the other is borderline at best. You'd be a lot better off driving over to the bay area and

buying that Craftsman 4.5 for $70.

You think that's too much for that BP?

Let me know if anyone needs assistance. I am close to both and can pick up/hold or arrange shipping if seller won't. I talked to the 655 BP guy several times but no deals. I offered $200 for power head only and offered a Stihl 029 but he wanted $100 on top of that. He initially was asking $425 but dropped to $375 yesterday?

You think that's too much for that BP?

Let me know if anyone needs assistance. I am close to both and can pick up/hold or arrange shipping if seller won't. I talked to the 655 BP guy several times but no deals. I offered $200 for power head only and offered a Stihl 029 but he wanted $100 on top of that. He initially was asking $425 but dropped to $375 yesterday?

It's missing parts and has seen some hard use. It does have a new 42" bar so that's a plus but not so much for someone in Canada (shipping is horrendous on those long bars.)

If a guy could get the powerhead for $275 then he'd be doing fairly well.

It's missing parts and has seen some hard use. It does have a new 42" bar so that's a plus but not so much for someone in Canada (shipping is horrendous on those long bars.)

If a guy could get the powerhead for $275 then he'd be doing fairly well.

Yeah it would cost damn near a dollar an inch just to ship the bar.

I'm going to be driving by there on Sunday on my way back home to Iowa. If its still around by then ill beg the wife into stopping.

Yeah it would cost damn near a dollar an inch just to ship the bar.

More than that in my experience, depending on where it's going.

I'm going to be driving by there on Sunday on my way back home to Iowa. If its still around by then ill beg the wife into stopping.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it might turn out to not be an original "Boost Port" saw. Those handle frames were very easily switched around and it was real common
back in the day for dealers to just put whatever parts they had on a saw to keep it going. I bought what I thought was a BP-655 long ago locally and it had the BP handle
frame and model tag but no boost port cylinder. It had been blown up and rebuilt.

I have a BP with a pioneer handle at home. Still thanks for the reminder to pull the muffler cover off.

1-22-2013 Sacramento Craigslist 1) Pro 655 and a 655 BP for sale in different adds. They are asking a ton but thought I would put it out there. One is under " poulan 655 bp" and the other is under "polen pro"

So I will be carting the first back to Iowa with me. It wasn't a BP but the 42" bar was brand new D009 mount and the top will go on my BP that has a pioneer handle on it.

Thanks Al. The top frame from a 40 series will work, but not the lower frame. If you use a 40 series top frame, you'll need to drill the hole for the manual assist oil pump.
I have whatever you need to fix up your P62. I'd love to help... just let me know what you need.
Feel free to post a pic of it here.

I tried to lay some reps on ya Ed but I gotta spread it around first. :bowdown:

Al is real good people......much like yourself. :)

Thanks for that Ed. I have a nice P40 which I do not want to scavenge but that series is relatively common here. I got this old P62 out of Tasmanina (which seems to be the home of big saws) and it is a little rough externally. The good news is it has not been used professionally and is still a really good goer. In fact you have to be on your toes starting it even using the decomp. It has a 28" Windsor bar and I put a new Oregon .404' chain on it today. It was so darn hot in my workshop that I could hardly work. If you look at the thermometer on the wall it is showiing 43 degrees C (about 112 degrees F) and that is at 6.15 pm!
DSC00331_zps1c258dc3.jpg

There are lots of things wrong with the saw but I have ordered a muffler already and will chase down the other stuff as I go. It is not nearly as pretty as your P65 Ed but it will be a good addition to my collection. I am really a Poulan and Partner guy but this saw has Partner on the side so qualifies.

DSC00333_zps5ba15ab2.jpg

DSC00332_zps0d94b8d5.jpg

I cannot believe how strongly it runs. It is destined to cut some big ironbark in the next day or so as a neighbor has a tree down. I'm going to try it out against Nick's Masterminded 395 and a couple of 066's from Randy and Jeremey. There will also be some big Partners and Poulans and even the Jred 1020 may get a run. Course the weather has to cool down a little first!

DSC00334_zpsca904e8c.jpg

DSC00335_zpsb1244837.jpg

Hope I have not hijacked your P65 thread.

Al.

You guys all suck......just saying.

This is the best I can do......

PioneerP50052.jpg

I know where your from.....I've sent many parts to OZ.
Let me see how much the parts will weigh. If I remember... if it's under 4lbs it's not too bad.
I've never saw that style c/c on a P62. One of my P61's has that. From what I understand, the cage over the muffler was required for cutting with larger saws in certain parts of Canada. The muffler for that cover points forward. The one you ordered for a 655 will exit out the rear. These I like the best. If you can cancel your order, I can send you the complete rear exit muffler and other things needed... except for the oil button. I only have a couple left.

Oh Ed, I just now saw your reply - sorry. I wasn't being rude, the internet here in country Oz is laughably slow and I can go days without connection so I often loose the flow of threads.
I already received that muffler and although it points forward it works just fine. Nice and throaty.
I cut some nice eauc with the P62 recently and although the handle was a little rattly I can see why people like them. Loads and loads of torque. I used an 084 for over ten years and just got used to having that power on tap. I need a PP665.:msp_biggrin:

It's already bagged and packed in the car. Pics when I get home, you'll just have to wait a few days.

I finally got around to tearing the new P saw down last night for cleaning and a good check up. According to the tag it's a P62 so the PP655 top is going to replace the pioneer top on my 655.

It cleaned up nice but I found a broken forward AV mount and someone has heli-coiled the spark plug cockeyed so the spark plug does not seal well. I'll pull the jug off and straighten it out with a timesert.

View attachment 278800

I have AV mounts if you need any.

Just the lower forward one if you please. I have 3 small dogs that I'd trade for one stock WC one to match the one I have for this saw.

You wouldn't happen to have a 655 air filter cover would ya? It's either I get the right cover or I'm going to run a clamp filter on it. An aftermarket filter came on this P62 I might run it on the PP655 if it makes it run any better.

Just the lower forward one if you please. I have 3 small dogs that I'd trade for one stock WC one to match the one I have for this saw.

You wouldn't happen to have a 655 air filter cover would ya? It's either I get the right cover or I'm going to run a clamp filter on it. An aftermarket filter came on this P62 I might run it on the PP655 if it makes it run any better.

I'm sitting in the hospital waiting room right now, my wife is having a heart procedure done. I probably won't be home till late. I have wc spikes, av mounts and af covers. I believe I have your addy still, but pm me it just in case. I won't be able to ship till Monday at the earliest. If you think of anything else, let me know.

I'm sitting in the hospital waiting room right now, my wife is having a heart procedure done. I probably won't be home till late. I have wc spikes, av mounts and af covers. I believe I have your addy still, but pm me it just in case. I won't be able to ship till Monday at the earliest. If you think of anything else, let me know.

Hope the heart procedure goes well!

Latest posts

Back