The Reality Of Trying To Buy A Dolmar...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I swore that I was going to stay out of this one, but........

I think that most of the problems that you guys are talking about are the very same problems that Dolmar is working to solve with their new IDN. All of this selling out of the barn and auto parts store stuff is where Dolmar has been. It is their past not their future. They have a lot of work ahead of them, and there will be Tony situations along the way, but this is a direction that they have to move in if there is any hope of them being a major player.

I agree with eyolf that we should look to inject some POSITIVE energy into these Dolmar discussions. The most obvious being the growing interest in their product. People love the saws and want better access to them and to Dolmar parts. Everything in business is supply and demand, and the demand for Dolmar is certainly there. Dolmar and IDN are working to fill that demand, and as eyolf said, it can't happen overnight.

You don't see this kind of demand or enthusiasm for some of the other second tier saw lines out there, do you? Despite some decent product, no one is complaining about having a hard time getting Solo or Efco. The Japanese companies each have a couple of good saw models, but they are primarily trimmer and backpack oriented.

So, we all live in a world where we only have two saw companies on the lead lap: Stihl and Husky. Not really a good thing, is it? It's almost kind of boring. Dolmar likely won't overtake Stihl or Husky, but they do have the potential to at least join them on that lead lap. Won't it be nice when it's just as easy to get a Dolmar as it is the 2 top dogs? Wouldn't we all like more choices?

Another issue that touches a nerve with a lot of you guys is this part time shop thing. Part of this is that it is a natural reaction to be offended if a company says that they don't want to do business with you; "thanks, but no thanks". In this case, it SEEMS even worse because Dolmar needs dealers. But in the past, one of Dolmars problems was that it was in too many of these part time shops. That's one of the reasons they have yet to get to where they should be. I concede that some of these shops appeal to a select group of people, and that some of them actually do a decent job. But that can't be the dominant bussiness model if Dolmar expects to go anywhere.

So, let's try to be positive, as well as patient here. Great product and things are actually moving in the right direction, if it's a bit hard to see for some. Keep in mind that we are all in the very early stages of this process. You've got to give them a chance before condeming them.

spike60 said:
I swore that I was going to stay out of this one, but........

I think that most of the problems that you guys are talking about are the very same problems that Dolmar is working to solve with their new IDN. All of this selling out of the barn and auto parts store stuff is where Dolmar has been. It is their past not their future. They have a lot of work ahead of them, and there will be Tony situations along the way, but this is a direction that they have to move in if there is any hope of them being a major player.

I agree with eyolf that we should look to inject some POSITIVE energy into these Dolmar discussions. The most obvious being the growing interest in their product. People love the saws and want better access to them and to Dolmar parts. Everything in business is supply and demand, and the demand for Dolmar is certainly there. Dolmar and IDN are working to fill that demand, and as eyolf said, it can't happen overnight.

So, we all live in a world where we only have two saw companies on the lead lap: Stihl and Husky. Not really a good thing, is it? It's almost kind of boring. Dolmar likely won't overtake Stihl or Husky, but they do have the potential to at least join them on that lead lap. Won't it be nice when it's just as easy to get a Dolmar as it is the 2 top dogs? Wouldn't we all like more choices?

Another issue that touches a nerve with a lot of you guys is this part time shop thing. Part of this is that it is a natural reaction to be offended if a company says that they don't want to do business with you; "thanks, but no thanks". In this case, it SEEMS even worse because Dolmar needs dealers. But in the past, one of Dolmars problems was that it was in too many of these part time shops. That's one of the reasons they have yet to get to where they should be. I concede that some of these shops appeal to a select group of people, and that some of them actually do a decent job. But that can't be the dominant bussiness model if Dolmar expects to go anywhere.

So, let's try to be positive, as well as patient here. Great product and things are actually moving in the right direction, if it's a bit hard to see for some. Keep in mind that we are all in the very early stages of this process. You've got to give them a chance before condeming them.

Spike, well put. The Dolmar bashing has gotten very vindictive. Their dealer look-up and a few oil line problems, which both are being addressed. Every manufacturer has had issues with their saws. As much if not more so than Dolmar. I'm a new dealer with Dolmar, but not totally unfamiliar with them, doing repair work for more years than I care to remember and selling other brands. Before TonyM's problem, Dolmar saws were the talk of the forum, mostly good, but then the bashing frenzy started. Give Dolmar a little time and these bugs will be worked out. These are damn good saws.

Sugarbush;

Looks like the "rebellion" is running out of steam and we can all get back to talking about the saws again. You're right; they are damn good. I'll be ordering another dozen this week in fact.

Mike Maas said:
Who are the two dealers?
There's one out in Sullivan, WI, right? Where's the other?
Then I saw Aerial had some Dolmars out at the WAA show, but their down in Chicago or somewhere.
It's nice to see competition in the 70-80cc range saws. It keeps Stihl and Husky on their toes. Not that Dolmar will take much of the market share anytime soon with their marketing plan.
Mike
The Dolmar Dealer I go to is Dan Anderson.He has been with Dolmar for more than 15 years through thick & thin.He always has plenty of new and used saws and parts.He caters to the Professional loggers in these parts. Seth
Anderson Saw Shop
20677 Co Hwy SR
Richland Center,WI 53581
(608)647-2711

Buying a Dolmar

I was thinking of moving up to something like a Stihl 440 and wanted to look at a Dolmar. I found the site not the easiest one to find local dealers. Not sure but it seemed that it took me forever, and my wife never did find it, to find the link to find the dealers, and I didn't like the little map method, I have had better luck with diffferent systems on line to find local dealers.

Anyway I have three possible dealers, one in Portland and one in Estacada are the closest, but the one in Estacada is a small engine shop, nice on the phone but not only does he not have any in stock his home shop is not very customer friendly, but I might be the only one that hesitates to open a gate that says something about guard dogs or beware of dogs??

Anyway, still like to look at them but right now tending to go toward the Stihl dealer in Estacada, friendly, answered questions, good stock, seems to have been there a while and had lots of logging supplies. Not that I am a logger but it is nice that it seems to be a shop that is pointed to loggers, not hobbyists or people that think that cutting down one small tree makes them a pro.

Having said that I cheerfully admit to not being a logger but would rather get advice from someone that really knows what they are talking about.

Getting back to my point: not only did I find it a hassle to find my local dealers the closest one does not have any in stock. Yes I can understand why he doesn't but I am the type of guy that likes to pick up and feel the tool I am getting.

Your dealers

Within 60 miles. Less then 2 mins to find.

Last edited:
Cut4fun said:
Within 60 miles. Less then 2 mins to find.

I found a dealer 4 miles from my new house, and it took me a about 2 minutes as well. Maybe the dealer locator just got fixed, eh? Might stop by on the way home.

edit: Just called the shop. They do work on saws, but don't have a lot of parts in stock as they just started carrying Dolmars.

Last edited:
How do you even SAY "Dolmar"?

DOLE-mar
DOLL-mar
DOLE-mer
dole-MAR
doll-mer
doll-mar

At the Ohio GTG, I heard it pronounced just like that freak that stalked/killed/ate dudes - as in Jeffery. That just freaked me out. Great name recognition tactic, there guys. It took me long enough to learn to say "Stihl" as in "steel" - what can I di with "Dolmar"? Heck, I had to research the Swedish Chef on Muppet re-runs to get "Husqvarna" right..."Mohr-de schmeeer-da morn-de-de pe shnere -mork mork mork mork!"

Dang, I'm old.

(No offense intended to our Swede brothers out there...)

Hey it might be better, or you might

German english better but you had two people that spend a fair amount of time on the internet (and my wife buys a lot of stuff on the net) not be able to find the local dealers. You go to some sites and the dealer links are obvious and I didn't find last week's Dolmar Germany site all that easy to do that. I'm going to check the site back out later today.

bump_r said:
How do you even SAY "Dolmar"?

DOLE-mar
DOLL-mar
DOLE-mer
dole-MAR
doll-mer
doll-mar

At the Ohio GTG, I heard it pronounced just like that freak that stalked/killed/ate dudes - as in Jeffery. That just freaked me out. Great name recognition tactic, there guys. It took me long enough to learn to say "Stihl" as in "steel" - what can I di with "Dolmar"? Heck, I had to research the Swedish Chef on Muppet re-runs to get "Husqvarna" right..."Mohr-de schmeeer-da morn-de-de pe shnere -mork mork mork mork!"

Dang, I'm old.

(No offense intended to our Swede brothers out there...)

The closest you had would be "DOLL-mar" for Dolmar.

Stihl = Steel not Still
Husqvarna = Husk-Varn-Ah

Steve

I don't understand 4 pages of fuss. Clicked on "locator" and got a dealer.

Hmmm.... Must be a vortex somewhere on the net.

-Mike

ihbase said:
I don't understand 4 pages of fuss. Clicked on "locator" and got a dealer.

Hmmm.... Must be a vortex somewhere on the net.

-Mike

Either a vortex or a thread that was started weeks before there was actually a dealer locator.

SmithEC said:
Either a vortex or a thread that was started weeks before there was actually a dealer locator.

oh... errrr... ah... hmm...

ahem... on to another subject then?

Just for kicks I stopped by the shop listed as the Dolmar dealer in my area. The shop did carry dolmar concrete saws, but you had to order a chain saw if you wanted one. They were a full line Stihl dealer- Which made me wonder why someone would buy a Dolmar concrete saw instead of Stihl, but not a Dolmar chainsaw. Seemed odd to stock one and not the other.

-Mike

Latest posts

Back