the stihl 038 magnum thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It shouldn't and it doesn't. I, lucky ole me, happen to have a super nice 038MagII. Low hours and runs perfecto. Most 038's I see at the shop are low on compression but then again they're 20 plus years old and worked pretty hard. There are faster saws in the same cc range as a 038 but these faster modern day saws have about 1/2 the life span of a 038, if that. A 20 year plus old 038 still sawing wood is as common as apple pie.

Funny you say that. My brother has a old 038, hell must be hitting on 20 years now. About 7-8 years ago I sold him a spanking new 044, at discount of course, family thing ya know. Here's the funny part, he won't use the 044.
He's saving it till he wears out the 038. I told him he'll liable to be too old to use a chainsaw time he wears out that 038,LOL

LOL, ya, this 038 super that I got, I don't think it will ever die, it's seen a extremely hard life. It looks as if its been to hell and back about 12 times, and it still runs strong, scored piston and all, and it pulls about 165psi compression, I was very surprised when I saw that on the gauge.

I had one until about a year ago. Good saw, dead solid reliable, would sit for years and start with 2-3 pulls and run flawlessly.

Now the bad news, it used more fuel per cord of wood cut than any saw I've ever owned.

Barely able to manage the 24" bar is was equipped with.

Anemic compared to a Husqvarna 268XP, which cuts nearly twice as fast at about the same weight, if not a tad lighter.

Anyhow, it went on E-Bay, and I'm sure someone someplace is still cutting firewood with it......Cliff
Did you try an 8 tooth sprocket. Makes a big difference on the saws I switched back and forth. I run a Mag a short time with a 25" bar 7 tooth 3/8. Lots of power but the chain didn't feel like it had a lot of speed. I think with a 20" or 25" skip 8 tooth 3/ 8 would have enough umph with better gas effiecency.

Did you try an 8 tooth sprocket. Makes a big difference on the saws I switched back and forth. I run a Mag a short time with a 25" bar 7 tooth 3/8. Lots of power but the chain didn't feel like it had a lot of speed. I think with a 20" or 25" skip 8 tooth 3/ 8 would have enough umph with better gas effiecency.

You need about 50% more chain speed to compensate for the about 33% fewer teeth on the skip chain - I hardly think that will happen......

Can't complain with my 038S. I'd pickup a magII without a second thought if I could find one locally. The 038's are heavy, but built to last IMHO.

You need about 50% more chain speed to compensate for the about 33% fewer teeth on the skip chain - I hardly think that will happen......

That may seem logical but that is not what it feels like to me when the saws in the wood. If thats the case forget skip and use a full comp. I wasn't referiring to skip using a 20".

I just got my Super running this weekend. Still sorting out the oil system. Was going to make it into a MAG, but maybe I'll leave it together and find another one to modify.

Decided to get the 038 Super put together lastnight. Still needs a thing or two, but I can cut wood with it now. I rebuilt the oil pump with all new parts except the housing. It was leaking before, but it is oil tight now. I decided to start it off on maximum output...... :jawdrop: WOW!!!! this thing is an EPA nightmare! I have it turned down to minimum now, and it will still sling oil off the 24" bar! Now to get that kill wire sorted out.

attachment.php

The 038's I have owned are some of my favorites. I dont really mind the extra weight as compared to the 044. This mag II will probably outlast me, and it runs great for a 20+ year old saw. Like other users said the oil pumps really push out the crude, not like the EPA saw's of today.

I still have an 038 Mag

DSC01798.jpg

Great saw,it must be 20+ years old,cuts great with dual port muffler,in fact i had two!!

BUT then i got one one of these! :)

and i had to sell one of my Mags :censored:

Oh and another thing, 038 workshop manual says max rpm 12000 rpm,the owners manual says 12500 rpm :dizzy:
So what do other 038 Mag owners run theirs at?????

Max RPM

We used a tachometer on my 038 Magnum II at 11,500. It has 155 psi for compression and runs very well. I have no idea what the cutting rpm is, however it certainly is less than full throttle no load with a 32" bar and chain on it as it was when we checked it.

John

thread resurection!

and a first for posting pics. lets see how this goes......

S3010001.jpg

S3010002.jpg

this poor old girl was stored in a rather exposed pole barn and was hard to turn over when i decided i should bring it back to life. i just barely remembered it from when i was a little kid. little did i know it was the much sought after 038 MAG!

runs and cuts good now. its missing a chain catch and i missed one on ebay cause i was watching football. and the string is a little short. but i can get it running. sorry to pull up an old thread, but i had to share!

Latest posts

Back