The Stihl 362 disappointment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the US or worldwide? Strange that it is showed in the 2014 catalog then. :confused:

Must be US only. I don't understand the point of going semi-synthetic when the full is available. Either get the dino, or full syn.

Must be US only. I don't understand the point of going semi-synthetic when the full is available. Either get the dino, or full syn.
The Super is rated FD while the Ultra is only FB.

FB will clog muffler screens... BTDT.

FC/FD is the only way to go, Stihl, Husq, Echo, Elf, Gary's Own, or whatever high rated 100% sin oil you can find.

s
Some oil blenders try to offer 'the best of both worlds' oil blends when designing products. You do realise 'synthetic' oil by itself does not offer the same level of wear resistance as castor bases or petrollium based oil. Both have their pros and cons. Look at stihl ultra fo example...if you know how to clean a spark plug, correclty tune a saw, and occaisionaly de-carbon the odd exhaust port or piston crown you may well be better off (less wear on engine internals) using stihl 'HP Super' as it offers a much better level of protection. If however you never do any maintenence and expect your OPE to run and run and run you are better off with a full synthetic 'HP Ultra' style oil. Full synthetic will keep your two cycle interals cleaner but they are far from the 'best' IMHO. I use semi-synthetic and think its funny people pay so much for an oil like Belray H1R that won't put a JASO/API/GLOBAL rating on it full stop! Where l come from HR1is $37 a litre and it has no protection rating on it what so ever! Pick up a bottle and check for yourself..........why does a $37 oil not put a rating on its bottle?....l think they don't want you to know how low it is..lol

Last edited:
JASO FC/FD rated oil has the same or better tested and proven properties than FB in all cases though, whether they are pure synthetic, blends, or dyno. Between the standards, lubrication is actually the same for wear protection, but FC & FD have far better detergency, better smoke reduction, and is much better at reducing exhaust system blocking.

hello just checking to see what you was going to do with the 362

I worked on my cousins generator it was used during a 2 week power outage and when they went to start it again it would not pull over took the head off and was almost a 1/4 inch of carbon on the piston and in cylinder so I would try a different gas and see how it goes

I worked on my cousins generator it was used during a 2 week power outage and when they went to start it again it would not pull over took the head off and was almost a 1/4 inch of carbon on the piston and in cylinder so I would try a different gas and see how it goes
How long did it sit after the 2 week power outage? Generators often sit a long time with fuel in them, and old fuel is a likely cause of that carbon.

it was shut off and not started when had to take the head off less then 6 months but the gas was shut off where couldn't get into the carb

it was shut off and not started when had to take the head off less then 6 months but the gas was shut off where couldn't get into the carb
Actually, my question was a stupid one - the carbon must have built up when it was running, not sitting. Just because it ran for 2wks doesn't mean it ran well, and if it was 6mo later it's pretty likely the temperature and atmospheric conditions had changed. The fuel may have gone bad (worse) after sitting 6 months too.

s

Some oil blenders try to offer 'the best of both worlds' oil blends when designing products. You do realise 'synthetic' oil by itself does not offer the same level of wear resistance as castor bases or petrollium based oil. Both have their pros and cons. Look at stihl ultra fo example...if you know how to clean a spark plug, correclty tune a saw, and occaisionaly de-carbon the odd exhaust port or piston crown you may well be better off (less wear on engine internals) using stihl 'HP Super' as it offers a much better level of protection. If however you never do any maintenence and expect your OPE to run and run and run you are better off with a full synthetic 'HP Ultra' style oil. Full synthetic will keep your two cycle interals cleaner but they are far from the 'best' IMHO. I use semi-synthetic and think its funny people pay so much for an oil like Belray H1R that won't put a JASO/API/GLOBAL rating on it full stop! Where l come from HR1is $37 a litre and it has no protection rating on it what so ever! Pick up a bottle and check for yourself..........why does a $37 oil not put a rating on its bottle?....l think they don't want you to know how low it is..lol

There could be a handful of reasons why they prefer to not go through the certification program. Not going to second guess. Just wanted to mention that I was at the BelRay site earlier today and somebody has asked their advice column if H1-R conformed to the JASO FC/FD standard. Might be interesting to see if they reply and what they reply.

I'm trying a liter of H1-R, was $22.75US delivered to my door. Four liters can be had for under seventy-four dollars US delivered if I decide to keep running it. My spark plug looks happy but it was a used plug when I started running the H1-R, I want to put a new plug in for a more accurate reading.

Hu

Well here is an update on the saw. It will be rebuilt Stihl supplying the parts and me paying for the labor. The Stihl rep felt that the crank bearing should be replaced, it showed signs of excessive heat. Heat changed the color of the connecting rod near the bearing. He stated that the operator should have stopped running the saw before this happened. I would agree that the saw probably wasn't running correctly before the failure but the guy running it says "maybe."

Since then i have had another saw fail, 8 months (Stihl MS461). Believe it was carbon issues, it will need a new top end.

I am now following the advice of many on the fuel issues.
1. I will be mixing the fuel myself
2. I will be using ethanol free when i can get it
3. Switching to 93 octane

Hopefully this will lengthen the running time for the saws that is more inline with my expectations and Stihl's.

I deleted some posts due to political content. You boys wanna talk politics, ask me for the Political forum password and do it there. We don't need that here, or in any of the other forums other than Political.

And we don't even really need that

Sent from my Autotune Carb

Just wanted to mention that I was at the BelRay site earlier today and somebody has asked their advice column if H1-R conformed to the JASO FC/FD standard. Might be interesting to see if they reply and what they reply.

Hu
If you look under the FAQ on Belray's website it says that the H1R does meet Jaso FD rating. Somebody had asked and they answered it.

If you look under the FAQ on Belray's website it says that the H1R does meet Jaso FD rating. Somebody had asked and they answered it.

You are correct. I didn't see the answer last time I looked. Question and answer from the "Sir Tech" column.

(included text)
Q. Does Bel-Ray H1-R synthetic two stroke oil meet the requirements of JASO-FD and ISO-L-EGD?
Sir Tech -
Thanks for writing in. Yes, the Bel-Ray H1R Synthetic 2-Stroke Racing Oil meets both the JASO FD and the ISO L-EGD specifications.

Back