The Stihl 362 disappointment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Stihl Ultra is sort of a generic oil in the Stihl does not make it. Ultra, I don't know about the other Stihl oils, is blanded by Omni. Stihl probably worked with Omni to develop Ultra but that does not mean it is exclusive to Stihl. I hear good things about WP synthetic, I forget who makes it. I have had great results using Opti 2 and Blendzall as well as Ultra but really have no way to determine if I have had the "best" results.
Over the years I have read about so many different companies producing the Stihl oil (Castrol, Omni, etc.) or oil's from other brands that I simply donot care anymore for these rumors. No one knows and not a single company has ever revealed it's source! All this talk is really just an attemp to feel good again because someone is buying something of mythical quality at exaggerated prices!
Who produces what oil is totally irrelevant for me and I have focused on hard data! And that are the different norms. It is very simple either you achieve or not and either you are approved the norm or not.
And the belief of having the best is beyond all sanity! There exist no "best"! There never has or will ever be a test to prove which oil is the best. That would require serious scientific work which would require hundred's of engines all running exact the same tune, temperature, etc. etc. to proove minimal differences.

Everyone loves blamming the oil, etc. on the death of an engine. They tear it apart to have a "look" without ever checking for leaks whatsoever. Then they are so proud of there complete rebuild and are wondering why the engine dies so quickly again. But then they know it was the cheap aftermarket pieces used... So we will never know who is really the culprit for an early saw death. We only have a bunch of assumptions.

One of the sparkplugs had severe wear, so there was an extreme heat condition. This likely was caused by a large air leak. Most of the saws in question likely had symptoms long before complete failure. Educated you're employees to stop running a saw if it starts acting different. Most tree cutters have no clue and keep running a saw thinking the saw will somehow repair itself

Omni specialty is a blender nothing more. Sthil's Ultra oil is a version of Castrol's TTS. Most of the oils that meet the JASO FD standard have to be thinned out with solvents to reduce smoke levels. This often, but not always causes reduced shear strength and thermal stability. Therefore many of the high end race oil won't meet the higher standards simply do to higher levels of smoke. It has nothing to do with cleanliness or shear strength. When you open up an engine it's easy as could be to determine whether or not it was ran on conventional oil or synthetic oil.

I have run two cycle engines for over 50 years, and I have never had a carbon problem, to your extent. I am not saying they won't carbon up, just saying there must be a solution to your carbon buildup.
As stated, carb tune is critical along with correct oil/fuel mixture.
Could your problem possibly be related to extended idling? That will carbon an engine nearly as fast as lugging (not operating with maximum throttle).
Example---I bought a new Husqvarna 40 chainsaw in 1980?? I have no idea how many hours are on the saw but it has MANY!!! and I have never been inside this saw, other then carb work!
Here is -- not so good-- photos of exhaust and sparkplug.---

View attachment 327127 View attachment 327128 View attachment 327127 View attachment 327128 View attachment 327129

THAT is one beautiful lookin plug! :bowdown:

Back