The Stihl 362 disappointment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More on the362.I've had it back for under2 weeks after the saw shop rebuilt the lower end. The saw feels hen you pull the rope like it has no compression. Back to the saw shop it goes. We will see what becomes of it?

can you let us know what they say I have 2 junk 362 cranks bearings are shot

More and hopefully the final update on this thread. Got the saw back from the shop. Stihl or the dealer covered a new fly wheel under an extended warranty. The flywheel failed and was no longer activating the coil pack so they put a new one on.
The saw runs now and i will put it back in service and see what happens. I am losing faith in Stihl, the Dolmar I replaced this stihl with is running fine, also the Echo that was purchased to replace the Stihl MS461 that blew the top end is giving no trouble and performing well.

dall,
The reason the crank was replaced on the 362 -cylinder bolts had become lose and the saw would no longer run. When they tore it down the piston and cylinder looked fine but the connecting rod to the piston showed signs of heat around the bearing on the crank shaft. Stihl felt it would be best to replace this and offered the parts if I paid the labor.

Well that's a good update. What happened to the 461? I would like it if you still have it as a project saw.

mdavlee
I am buying a new top end for the 461 I will build it back myself and put it back in service. I am learning to tear these saws apart and put them back together so i don't have to rely on the dealer as much.

MustangmMike,

First, Thank you for all the input on this thread. I am not sure if the saws are doing better because they are different saws or they are being better cared for. The dealer and the STihl rep never seemed to agree that fuel was the cause of my problems The dealer said yes, the Stihl rep said he didn't think so.Anyway I now mix the fuel myself. The saws do have good reputations. I may be back with Stihl but for the $$$ i can get almost the same CC saw for a little less and if it will last as long why not save the $$. We will see how these other brands last when they get 6 or 8 months of age on them.

The saw runs now and i will put it back in service and see what happens. I am losing faith in Stihl, the Dolmar I replaced this stihl with is running fine, also the Echo that was purchased to replace the Stihl MS461 that blew the top end is giving no trouble and performing well.

o_O I fail to see how any Echo saw can replace a MS461 - just get the 461 fixed (including finding the reason that it failed)!

.Anyway I now mix the fuel myself. The saws do have good reputations. I may be back with Stihl but for the $$$ i can get almost the same CC saw for a little less and if it will last as long why not save the $$. We will see how these other brands last when they get 6 or 8 months of age on them.
Did you switch to the Stihl Ulta synthetic? If so, I would be interested in the outcome after you run them for awhile. Just trying to add to my knowledge base!:)

Did you switch to the Stihl Ulta synthetic? If so, I would be interested in the outcome after you run them for awhile. Just trying to add to my knowledge base!:)

Still Using Stihl oil in the orange plastic bottle. Now i run 93 octane ,ethanol free when i can get it.

Thanks...
JASO FA – original spec established regulating lubricity, detergency, initial torque, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking.

JASO FB – increased lubricity, detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking requirements over FA.

JASO FC – lubricity and initial torque requirements same as FB, however far higher detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking requirements over FB.

JASO FD - same as FC with far higher detergency requirement.

Good routine and a system in maintance will improve the life of your chainsaws.
No brand will last long if they get no maintance and lousy oil mix.

I work in a company (has nothing with chainsaws to do) where the daily leader sucks when it comes to how to take care of the equipment, but still he want to be in charge of it. The result is that almost none of the staff care anymore, and they use the equipment like it is a one time use.
I have the opinion that it would be better if we got better paid but that we also have to buy our own equipment.
Not saying that this is the case in your company though, but maybe something to consider.

But to bring things back into perspective. Stihl HP Ultra oil is only rated FB!( http://www.stihl.de/STIHL-Produkte/Zubehör-und-Betriebsstoffe/Kraft-und-Schmierstoffe/Kraftstoffe-Motorenöle-und-Kettenhaftöle/21356-1740/Zweitaktmotorenöl-HP-Ultra.aspx ) !!! Many generic brand oils out there are full synthetic for air cooled engines and have the highest rating there is! (API TC, JASO FC/FD, ISO L-EGD)
So what do I do? I buy generic brand oil at 1/3-1/2 the price of the Stihl brand and have better specifications than the major player!

But to bring things back into perspective. Stihl HP Ultra oil is only rated FB!( http://www.stihl.de/STIHL-Produkte/Zubehör-und-Betriebsstoffe/Kraft-und-Schmierstoffe/Kraftstoffe-Motorenöle-und-Kettenhaftöle/21356-1740/Zweitaktmotorenöl-HP-Ultra.aspx ) !!! Many generic brand oils out there are full synthetic for air cooled engines and have the highest rating there is! (API TC, JASO FC/FD, ISO L-EGD)
So what do I do? I buy generic brand oil at 1/3 the price of the Stihl brand and have better specifications than the major player!

Well Stihl Ultra is sort of a generic oil in the Stihl does not make it. Ultra, I don't know about the other Stihl oils, is blanded by Omni. Stihl probably worked with Omni to develop Ultra but that does not mean it is exclusive to Stihl. I hear good things about WP synthetic, I forget who makes it. I have had great results using Opti 2 and Blendzall as well as Ultra but really have no way to determine if I have had the "best" results.

Back