The Story of The Day, you guys will love this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd give anything to see that little old lady come in to your shop tomorrow and with one hand she's carrying an 088 with a 5-foot bar on it.

SmithEC said:
I'd give anything to see that little old lady come in to your shop tomorrow and with one hand she's carrying an 088 with a 5-foot bar on it.

hahahahahahahahahaa, if she does that then I'm gonna say well shoot young lady, no wonder you can't pull the rope on that thing, let me fix it for ya and send her on her way. (Rope tied in a doulbe knot on the rotor, no charge of course),haha

Dan Forsh said:
C'mon, do you know if they were actually buying to use themselves? maybe there was a son or grandson waiting in the wings to actually use it.
QUOTE]

Thats what I'm thinking...
However I did send a felllow home with a brand new Husky 340 w/ 16" bar last week, and I'm sure he was nearly eighty. I'm also certain that he would be able to operate it safely based on his physical condition.

Of course, in this part of the world people are buying chainsaws to tidy up a little brush, not harvest an entire forest! :)

Age is attitude!

I'm on the fence about this one!!!!

In my younger years of mowing grass, I had an elderly lady that liked to mow the yard, she couldn't mow the whole thing but mowed what she could or wanted to, paid me the same either way, just felt alive because she could. My mother is now in that age group and I would much rather have her running the saw over my father! My father is in great shape mind you, but pays even less attention to whats going on now than he did, which wasn't much then!
Never underestimate the "old people", they just might kick our butts for fun :)
Andy

Hey Thall, did you ever think that those two old ladies might have had other motives than buying outdoor power equipment? Maybe they were just out shopping for a nice, young saw salesman! ;) :laugh: :laugh:

(Sorry if that thought gives you nightmares!)

Gearhead1 said:
Maybe they were just out shopping for a nice, young saw salesman! ;) :laugh: :laugh:

New chainsaw: $350
New accessories for saw: $100
Finding a new love: priceless!

(Sorry Thall, you seem like a heck of a guy, but.... man that was tooooo easy:clap: )
Andy

Gearhead1 said:
Hey Thall, did you ever think that those two old ladies might have had other motives than buying outdoor power equipment? Maybe they were just out shopping for a nice, young saw salesman! ;) :laugh: :laugh:

hahahahaha, now that never crossed my mind once the whole time they were there. Now that ya memtion it though,hmmmmmmmmmm,hahhaha.

sawinredneck said:
New chainsaw: $350
New accessories for saw: $100
Finding a new love: priceless!

(Sorry Thall, you seem like a heck of a guy, but.... man that was tooooo easy:clap: )
Andy

haha, no need to be sorry my friend. If I got their hearts a fluttering so be it, we all need a tad of lovin no matter how old we are. Thats not to say I'm gonna take her to the movies now, ya hear me,hahaha

THALL10326 said:
Thats not to say I'm gonna take her to the movies now, ya hear me,hahaha

Why spend you're money, when they are perfectly willing to spend thiers, right?:hmm3grin2orange:
Andy

I was gonna mention the easy2start

However, I waited to see where this thread went.
With regards for the older generation, I have a couple of examples up here.
My mother (over 70) isn't bloody likely to try a saw. Next door I have a pair of nice older ladies (over 60) that use chainsaws every summer to gather firewood. I have worked with them often. Nothing short of amazing. There is one gal (over 80) up here that throws hay bales around. If she needed a saw, I am quite sure she could handle it.

This will be interesting to see how this plays out!!

-Pat

You know, my grandpa is 82 now, still in great shape, still runs his saw every now and again. Had to fight him this last week to let me take down a hemlock leaner in his yard. Wanted to do it himself. About 5 or 6 years ago, he was down on the lower property cutting some stuff up, and by one means or another, minorly (for a chainsaw) cut his left thigh. He's a veteran, and we live in the sticks, so he drove himself 75 miles in his standard transmission truck to the Army hospital to get stitched up. Yes, he was old, yes he did hurt himself, but I see plenty of young guys cutting their chaps at work, and had it not been for the chaps, of course, it would have been their leg. You know, my grandma too, she ran an 038 until she was about 75, no problems. I think you have to take old people on a case-by-case basis.

No doubt in my mind. I have neighbours (spinster sisters) that will be 77 and 81 this year. Farm 180 acres, keep cattle, goats, horses, ducks, chickens, geese, rabbits, etc. You get the picture. They sold 40 face cord of wood last year, but decided it's time to get out of the wood business. Now just going to cut enough for their own use. Don't think either one is over 4 foot 10. Still putting up probably 2000 bales of hay (without help!)

Don't count those old girls out. Lots of guys in the neighbourhood well into their 70's still heating with wood here too.

Wait, you're American right? Hmmmmmmm.................
Sorry!

You've got to admire folks who won't let a simple thing like advancing years get in their way.

My father wnt to visit his Mother when she was in her eighties and found her wielding a pickaxe. He was so worried about her that he finished the job for her and took it away with him.

Next time he visited she had another one that she had cadged from a council workman. This time Dad was smarter and went and got her a smaller one which she used into her nineties.

Anyone think of selling this lady a nice electric saw?

Big feller

Old does not necessarily mean weak or stupid or what ever lesser thing people think the elderly all lose, my mom is nearing 70 and could probably still run a saw (though I sure wouldn't let her), my dad on the otherhand at over 70 still runs power stuff (he was born into a logging family) but this is ebbing as he has AOD and doesn't get around as well as he use to (and I wish he didn't drive). Don't underestimate
people by their age, I've had many elderly friends over the years who'd put people 1/3 their age to shame, I know people farming who are in their 80s and 90s, they just keep working till they can't (and usually die of boredom)and it is nothing new in this world. Not everyone can afford to end their days on the links playing golf. My 0.02$
Interesting to see how this all pans out though, :popcorn:

older women & saws

So.........would you refuse to sell a saw to a man "that age"?

Case by case gets my vote - there are very few men who can outwork me... and I turned 58 this past January. I'll never ask anyone (man or woman) on my crews to do something I won't do. A couple of years ago I had a big, really rugged 18 year old tell me that I was killing him- that he'd never been outworked by a woman - especially one nearly old enough to be his grandmother.

I had a frozen shoulder for 3 years and couldn't drop start any of my saws (I could start 'em the 'legal' way). Even so, I remain unconvinced that ability to start a saw ought to be the only criteria for ownership.

My thoughts on the OP was that the age and sex shouldn't even be a consideration. The 100 pounds plus age would be something to think about though. Anymore 70 is far from being decrepit barring medical problems. As others have said, there are farmers who work into their 90s full time. There are also farmers who die at 40. Age has nothing to do with it. Condition rules.

In my case I am 71 (in another week) and am wondering just how long I can keep 'wooding'. Other than cutting down on the number of hours I spend at one session there has been no effect due to age alone. Now the weight I have packed on over the years -does- have an effect.

Harry K

THALL10326 said:
Today at 4.30pm I was at the rack explaining several small model Stihls to, of all people, a sweet little old lady about 70 years old, maybe 5 foot tall, maybe a 100lbs. She was very intent on buying a saw and I was very intent not to sell her one.

Hope she trades in her old saw and buys a new EZ Start MS250E or Husqvarna 345 with decompression valve from your competitor then. When a salesman who knows nothing about me makes judgements about what can't handle I always vote with my dollars and take my business elsewhere.

You sell saws. She wants to buy a saw. I think your job is to make sure she understands how saws can be dangerous, ensure she knows about all of the available safety gear, suggest she always cut with someone else near by, and then sell her the damn saw she wants. If you don't want to do your job, I hope she finds someone who will.

My father metioned seeing 3 guys, the youngest being 86, run a tip table buzz saw on the front of a tractor.
I would think kickback would be the biggest issue, sell them one and make sure it has safety chain.

SmithEC said:

Or an old 090... then she shows you how she can't start it, but she starts it just fine... :)

(Drop starts it, of course...)

Latest posts

Back