The Termite Eatin' Wood (V-8 Hot Saw)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess you wouldn't want to use a bigblock for something like that! Thats a lot of horsepower behind that chain. Still must be heavy though and with that exhaust setup awefull loud. Nice job! you even have some gauges installed. I like the air filter. I can't wait to see a V8 chainsaw in person.

So you guys are powerlifting about 250Lbs each time you make a cut, with the finesse needed to set the bar right where it needs to go without getting in the way :jawdrop:

I noticed you are also running a Predator carb, don't see many of these on the street, is there a particular advantage to this type of carb in this application?

I'll try to answer some of the questions...

KevinJ... nope no Elastostart. LOL... has the stock Buick starter. (read: HEAVY!)

RBW... I'll get some pics of my Dad's truck next week and post them.

Urbicide & BCLogger... What's a mill? LOL:laugh:

Sprig... We do have a 50hp Nitrous kit on it... but found out that it was overkill. (kinda like the saw itself) Plus when you are makin' 2 second cuts through 30" wood... you really don't have much time to use it.

John L... The Predator carb has the variable flow venturi system that helps a lot. It only uses as many cfm's as the engine needs. Plus they can be run at any angle, and not bog down. We have to tip the saw backwards quite a bit, which would prolly uncover the jets on a standard carb. The Predator carb works well in this application. I've learned more about them than I ever thought i would.

TooTall999... Well we sorta "drop cut" with it. LOL:rock:

Thanks for the comments guys... we are really excited to finally get this thing goin'. Took longer than we wanted... but the wait will be worth it. Hopefully I will see some of you Washington guys at Deming or Buckley... I will be camping at Deming in the Log Show RV area... and also at Buckley right next to the Log Show grounds... feel free to find us and say hi. It's nice to put faces to names.:)

Gary

Last edited:
I just talked to my Dad on the phone... we will get some pics of the saw in his hot rod truck next week.

I have a '72 GMC 1/2 ton LB... it's for sale though...:cry:

Gary

I was looking fro something like that awhile back. Then I opted for something with AC.:D

How's the Buick doing, Gas? Have you been runnin her lately?

BTW how did you find that motor? They must be like hen's teeth...

GM sold the engine and tooling to Rover in the sixties, so the engine was still in production in the UK for nearly another thirty years in revised form, eventually growing in capacity till it was replaced with a Jag V8.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_V8_engine

Back