The Things People Throw Away

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitroman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I took two of my girls shooting at the village dump today. As I was backing up to turn around and head back to the house, I saw a propane cylinder, one of those 30-pounders you see under grills. I got out of my truck, walked over to where it was stacked upon some junk, and checked it out. I expected bullet holes, but saw none. Hmmmm....I opened the valve and whhooooooossseee! It still has gas in it! Crazy.

I was turning towards my truck when I spied something orange in a 55-gallon drum. Sitting right in front of me was a beautiful little Husqvarna 36. I attempted to get it out, but it is frozen into something. I am going to go get it tomorrow when I pick up the spousal unit. I'll take some tools to make sure I can get it out of the frozen dirt it is in, it isn't solidly inside the dirt, just kinda on the surface. From what I could see, it looked to be in absolutely excellent condition.

I'll post pics.

Years ago, I knew a guy whose son worked at a large land fill. His son was always bringing back all sorts of stuff he'd found while working the site.

So much so, that the son made some decent side money selling what others had thrown away.

I bought six saws off a guy who worked at the local dump, five I never touched and sold as parts but the husky 345 started with new gas and I had to buy a chainbrake for it because some idiot had locked it on.
He had a few good stories, my favourite was the guy who bought a run down house of a plumber who had died. In the scrub out the back were piles of copper from hot water cylinders that he took to the dump in about four trailer loads. The guys even helped him unload and then took them straight to the scrap yard on monday morning.

Always amazes and depresses me what gets tossed. I got a Stihl 015l in the case that way. Along with tons of other things over the years. Unfortunately now the county trash nazis steal everything for scrap our Theo it right on dumpsters rather than letting it get reused. This is after they spend 10 minutes telling you all the reasons your trash can't be accepted.

Picked up a Husky 350, dirty, missing the chain brake, good chain, 18" bar, started on the third pull with the gas in it....... My local dump operator is holding chainsaws for me now. (I offered to fix his for free if he would. :)) Count now is in my favor, one good saw for me, and his is still running fine.....

I took two of my girls shooting at the village dump today. As I was backing up to turn around and head back to the house, I saw a propane cylinder, one of those 30-pounders you see under grills. I got out of my truck, walked over to where it was stacked upon some junk, and checked it out. I expected bullet holes, but saw none. Hmmmm....I opened the valve and whhooooooossseee! It still has gas in it! Crazy.

I was turning towards my truck when I spied something orange in a 55-gallon drum. Sitting right in front of me was a beautiful little Husqvarna 36. I attempted to get it out, but it is frozen into something. I am going to go get it tomorrow when I pick up the spousal unit. I'll take some tools to make sure I can get it out of the frozen dirt it is in, it isn't solidly inside the dirt, just kinda on the surface. From what I could see, it looked to be in absolutely excellent condition.

I'll post pics.
Go back to the dump with a propane extension hose and a torch, hook it up to the tank and melt it out!

One mans junk is another mans treasure.

Well sometimes its still junk

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I got a lawn mower in the spring from dump that looked brand new. Brouhgt home dumped gas out put fresh on pulled cord it tried to start. Did that a bunch of time then went got new plug and fired right up. Cut grass with it all summer.

I found a bunch of tools in the dumpster at work, most of them craftsman. None were broke and in great shape. probably been funny watchin my old butt trying to climb in that thing fast as I did.lol
Be just like a kid in a candy store.

Always amazes and depresses me what gets tossed. I got a Stihl 015l in the case that way. Along with tons of other things over the years. Unfortunately now the county trash nazis steal everything for scrap our Theo it right on dumpsters rather than letting it get reused. This is after they spend 10 minutes telling you all the reasons your trash can't be accepted.
Can't pick the dump anymore like we used to!! Local hacks get it all...including All the trees the Tre Dept. cuts! Used to get some of hose too!
Meanwhile got my 262 from my friend Mike from a dumpster where he works. Saw, a 261, was in really rough shape when i got it. Tore it apart. cleaned it up and converted it to a 262 from a Bailey's Taiwan P/C, and other assorted parts from Scott up in Vermont. Great firewood saw now!

Gonna start loading trailer for dump rum this weekend. Wonder what i will drag home.

As a kid, I'd go to the dump with my dad. Back then, the dump was unattended and you could dump trash for free. Just drive in, back up somewhere, and toss what ya brung.

Anyways, my dad always looked forward to making dump runs. Sometimes, he wouldn't even have a full load and he'd wanna go to the dump. There would be times that he'd take close to an hour just checking things out and walking around, before we were ready to leave.

For various reasons, I suspect my first bicycle came from a dump. :rolleyes:

As a kid, I'd go to the dump with my dad. Back then, the dump was unattended and you could dump trash for free. Just drive in, back up somewhere, and toss what ya brung.

Anyways, my dad always looked forward to making dump runs. Sometimes, he wouldn't even have a full load and he'd wanna go to the dump. There would be times that he'd take close to an hour just checking things out and walking around, before we were ready to leave.

For various reasons, I suspect my first bicycle came from a dump. :rolleyes:

they had bicycles back then?
lol

Back