The Traveling Leveraxe/Leveraxe 2 Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Initial thoughts:

Arrived in a fitted box with a spare handle. I was told if you grip it hard when you strike the wood (rather than loosening your grip) the tool can "spin" the handle.

Fit and finish is very nice. One piece stainless head. Blade has a sharp edge although not razor sharp. Handle has a protective plastic (maybe nylon or poly??) "over strike" guard. Comes with a snap on leather guard for the cutting edge

Overall the tool is very light, similar in weight to a standard forest axe so should make significant speed.

My neighbor has some cottonwood I'll test out shortly and get into the big stuff this weekend.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

That's the original. This is the LA 2. Difference is the 2 is a pound lighter and uses stainless steel.
!!!! Had not even heard of that! I assumed that the '2' in this thread title meant that it was the second try at a demo/test thread!!!

I could see where this design inspires additional skepticism. I will be very interested to hear the opinions of those who try it.

Philbert

Put it into some fresh cut seedless cottonwood just now. Man that stuff stinks! Subject medium was from 8-15" diameter and 12-18" long.

1) This is not the tool for quartering larger pieces. You need to work your way around the outside of the round like he does in the video. I did stick the tool in the bigger rounds several times.

2) I did notice some "slap" of the handle on my rear hand that would become uncomfortable in an extended splitting session. I'll wear gloves next time to remedy this.

3) The smaller rounds split very effortlessly. And swinging a light tool to accomplish this took less energy than any of the traditional tools I've used.

4) The other benefit of the shape of the head is that it doesn't go through the wood into the ground/chopping block like a normal axe after each split. It stops dead at the top of the wood which is nice.

4) The other benefit of the shape of the head is that it doesn't go through the wood into the ground/chopping block like a normal axe after each split. It stops dead at the top of the wood which is nice.

I would think that when it stops dead on top of the wood it reverberate and be painful. :chop:

So first test is successful, following the maker's recommended technique.

Approximately how small of wood can you split before the lever becomes useless or a hindrance?

So first test is successful, following the maker's recommended technique.

Approximately how small of wood can you split before the lever becomes useless or a hindrance?
Really as small as you want if the round is in a tire to hold the lot upright. Or if you use a bungee cord.

Also checked with mfg on the edge. Does not need to be razor sharp as only moderate penetration is needed and the lever action does the rest.

That thing looks like a piece of stamped steel, while the original looks forged. Bet there saving some coin making this version! Gonna be interesting trying that thing out.

That thing looks like a piece of stamped steel, while the original looks forged. Bet there saving some coin making this version! Gonna be interesting trying that thing out.
yea. be nice if theyd pass those savings on to us po'folks

This one is stamped stainless. Not sure if original was forged or cast. FWIW this one is $40 less than the original.

Latest posts

Back