The unofficial Mac 10-10 thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best price I've seen. I've read about guys buying 1/8" bulk viton and and just sealing the ends with good results. I'm a Fel-Pro and Permatex man myself. Cut an 1/8" strip of the hybrid cork/rubber stuff, butt joint the ends, then run a thin layer of Permatex gray around the tank seam. Simple. Economical. Guaranteed to seal.

The Viton ones from Sawzilla are pretty nice. They actually swell up a bit when exposed to fuel so no additional sealer is necessary. If you have to take one apart after it's been fueled you may have to let it air out for a day or two before you reassemble to let them shrink back down.

Mark

Got “puddles” back together, tuned, and slinging chips right proper like.

Glad I'm not the only one that nicknames their saws... Got two 10-10's that needed a fair amount of work to straighten out; Grumpy and Bits. :laugh:

Do you like the no-leak? I've looked at it, but ended up just using "thick" fuel line (3/8?) through the tank hole and then tygon through that. Has worked really well so far and is cheap (thanks to those here that have pointed out that trick). Also pulled out the crazy large SDC barbs on both and replaced with a normal size barb/elbow, so it's not such a $!#%ing chore to get the fuel line on there.

Glad to hear about the sawzilla success, I have one of those gaskets on standby, but have yet to use one. Sounds like it's a winner!

I get them off Amazon and honestly if its under 20$ I'm good , I actually bought the last 2 nos cork gaskets from a saw shop in my area 2 years ago.
I have noticed that after awhile they do swell with fuel which is good but the air in SC is so humid it might be weeks before that sucker shrinks back to shape , maybe in January.
Matter of fact I just resealed my other pm700 Sunday with the viton one.

Glad I'm not the only one that nicknames their saws... Got two 10-10's that needed a fair amount of work to straighten out; Grumpy and Bits. :laugh:

Do you like the no-leak? I've looked at it, but ended up just using "thick" fuel line (3/8?) through the tank hole and then tygon through that. Has worked really well so far and is cheap (thanks to those here that have pointed out that trick). Also pulled out the crazy large SDC barbs on both and replaced with a normal size barb/elbow, so it's not such a $!#%ing chore to get the fuel line on there.

Glad to hear about the sawzilla success, I have one of those gaskets on standby, but have yet to use one. Sounds like it's a winner!

I like the no leak setup. In fact I like it so much I’m going to buy O-rings and turn my own bushings from here on out and use the setup on every 10 series I own.

Subject change - 10-10 bar oil leak (a.k.a. "Bits" - model 600014U)... I haven't confirmed, but it appears that bar oil is leaking out at the bar when the saw sits (I assume via the oiler hole). Oiler works fine, both auto and manual, fairly sure it's not just the tank cover seal. I know there is residual oil that will leak out after use, but this seems more like the tank slowly drains type leak.

Would this be the result of the check valve not working correctly in the pump? e.g. it's not closing up, possibly due to contaminants or failed spring or whatever, and siphoning out? I've attempted due diligence by using the site search, and saw the pump rebuild thread Mark did. :)

Will probably plug the oiler hole at the bar tonight and fill the tank up and see what happens just to confirm that's the source.

Subject change - 10-10 bar oil leak (a.k.a. "Bits" - model 600014U)... I haven't confirmed, but it appears that bar oil is leaking out at the bar when the saw sits (I assume via the oiler hole). Oiler works fine, both auto and manual, fairly sure it's not just the tank cover seal. I know there is residual oil that will leak out after use, but this seems more like the tank slowly drains type leak.

Would this be the result of the check valve not working correctly in the pump? e.g. it's not closing up, possibly due to contaminants or failed spring or whatever, and siphoning out? I've attempted due diligence by using the site search, and saw the pump rebuild thread Mark did. :)

Will probably plug the oiler hole at the bar tonight and fill the tank up and see what happens just to confirm that's the source.

Are you storing your chainsaw in a heated building or a shed?

Are you storing your chainsaw in a heated building or a shed?

Shed. Curious where this is going... :) If you bring it in to a warm building after working out in the cold, the temperature increase pressurizes the tank and forces the oil out?

FWIW Grumpy (also a 10-10 | 600013U) sits out there with Bits and does not exhibit this.

Latest posts

Back